Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

Some people like their IPA or APA to be clean with no esters, so temp control to keep them in check or a yeast that can handle the temps and be clean at ambient.

Some people like esters in their brews and use them to compliment the brew, it is trial and error for your brewery and tastes when brewing at ambient.

If you want a nice clean brew during summer, and it is hovering around 30c for weeks at a time you will need to do something to keep the esters in line, which would be to use a yeast strain that handle the temps or set up a swamp cooler to keep the temps under control to get a clean ester free beer or wait to brew that type of beer and go with something that embraces the esters and the profile of the yeasts for those temps. It all depends on your tastes, preferences and equipment.

1 hour ago, John E Miller said:

There you go. Why are APA and IPA the only exceptions? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, Graubart said:

So I am I think going to go with that half a cup 105-110g in the 18L... maybe 107g

@Shamus O'Sean Hey Shamus - I did the kegging yesterday and popped in 107 to a reasonably full 18L Corny... is at 17-18deg C right now - will advise in a few weeks time how I went.. so pretty much I guess following the PB2 paradigm ; )

29 minutes ago, Graubart said:

@Shamus O'Sean Hey Shamus - I did the kegging yesterday and popped in 107 to a reasonably full 18L Corny... is at 17-18deg C right now - will advise in a few weeks time how I went.. so pretty much I guess following the PB2 paradigm ; )

A big bottle for a sook beer? lol you might be converted back after you get into it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

Some people like their IPA or APA to be clean with no esters, so temp control to keep them in check or a yeast that can handle the temps and be clean at ambient.

Some people like esters in their brews and use them to compliment the brew, it is trial and error for your brewery and tastes when brewing at ambient.

If you want a nice clean brew during summer, and it is hovering around 30c for weeks at a time you will need to do something to keep the esters in line, which would be to use a yeast strain that handle the temps or set up a swamp cooler to keep the temps under control to get a clean ester free beer or wait to brew that type of beer and go with something that embraces the esters and the profile of the yeasts for those temps. It all depends on your tastes, preferences and equipment.

Yeah what he said

5 hours ago, John E Miller said:

There you go. Why are APA and IPA the only exceptions? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Graubart said:

Hey Grey Beard, for my Hefe Weissens, I ended up putting 100g of sugar (dissolved in 125ml of boiling water) into each 9.5L of beer.  Each went into a 19L keg because I do not have any smaller ones.  These were kegged Thursday night (18 March).  Aiming for 3.5vols CO2.  It will be a while before I get to taste these because the kegs are backing up, waiting for a kegerator spot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Grey Beard, for my Hefe Weissens, I ended up putting 100g of sugar (dissolved in 125ml of boiling water) into each 9.5L of beer.  Each went into a 19L keg because I do not have any smaller ones.  These were kegged Thursday night (18 March).  Aiming for 3.5vols CO2.  It will be a while before I get to taste these because the kegs are backing up, waiting for a kegerator spot.

are most of your kegs only half full? 

13 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

are most of your kegs only half full? 

Hey Jamie.  Not usually.  But I do like to do split batches so I can compare the results.  I probably do a split batch every fifth brewday.  I should maybe get a couple of 10L kegs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

100g of sugar (dissolved in 125ml of boiling water) i

Cheers Shamus - I popped mine in holus bolus into partly filled keg - gave it a swirl and topped it up - then gave it a bit of a shake... thinking it should go into solution hopefully... the Carb Lollies seem to so hopefully the fine grained Caster Sugar too... we'll find out eventually ; )

Your methodology ensures all is in solution though 👍

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Jamie.  Not usually.  But I do like to do split batches so I can compare the results.  I probably do a split batch every fifth brewday.  I should maybe get a couple of 10L kegs.

I was thinking of a small keg for my mr beer brews but then what would I do with bottles? maby one day ill do both 🍻

• Like 1

18 hours after pitching US-05 slurry citra pale ale banging along nicely. Nice thick krausen nice ale brew smell however that smell fruity I suppose even though don't get esters from most my brews might be the citra hop tea. Might even dry hop the sucker in 5 days commando and let it settle in before FG and CC.

20210321_102659.jpg

• Like 5

Sapporo Asian lager is at 1.016 so have taken it out of the fridge and going to let it free rise in ambient for the D Rest. Sample tastes really good. Tossing up whether to do 1 more lager or start on the ales now. Have a two week old slurry of southern german lager yeast that i could make a KB Lager with. Have also got a porter, tripel, golden strong and dark strong on the schedule. First world problems.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Easy Drinking Lager in the Coops Plazzi FV up for the D Rest (same as you Greeny @Greeny1525229549 - how long do you leave it warm for mate-just till it is done fermenting and SG stable?) and the IPA in the PFV just having a little think and an FV condition before kegging...  Will bring the Lager back down in temp for the yeast clean-up and cold crash it.... But think I will just keg the IPA after it has had a bit of time to sit and think... is already clearing up nicely and another 7 days should be ready to pop into the keg. 

image.thumb.png.ce914c5327178829f451fa792607d554.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Easy Drinking Lager in the Coops Plazzi FV up for the D Rest (same as you Greeny @Greeny1525229549 - how long do you leave it warm for mate-just till it is done fermenting and SG stable?)

Yeah I just wait for it to finish off. Taste the sample. If there is a slight off flavour or something I might leave it for a couple of days. If it tastes good straight up I will just stick it back in the fridge to cold crash it. 

• Like 2

My barleywine fermentation seems to be stuck at 1.060 since I put it in the bathtub to cool down. It was stable at 20C while it was in the water, but I've taken it out to warm up a few degrees, but still no apparent action for the last 36 hours or so, despite giving it a little swirl. I might wrap a heat belt around it to try get it to 23-24C. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, John E Miller said:

My barleywine fermentation seems to be stuck at 1.060 since I put it in the bathtub to cool down. It was stable at 20C while it was in the water, but I've taken it out to warm up a few degrees, but still no apparent action for the last 36 hours or so, despite giving it a little swirl. I might wrap a heat belt around it to try get it to 23-24C. 

More yeast?  Your brew is already nearly 7% alcohol, so it would need to be something very alcohol tolerant.  Maybe do a starter with more Nottingham so it is coming from an already alcohol environment when you pitch it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John E Miller said:

As Shamus has alluded to. How much yeast did you put in. Big beer like that needs a bit to finish

12 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah I just wait for it to finish off. Taste the sample. If there is a slight off flavour or something I might leave it for a couple of days.

In general - hard to be general yes - but in the face of that adversity - in general - how many days do you think that D-Rest can be - like 3-7 or so?

I went a little late (well it was a large yeast cake and it the ferment went quickly) and ferment was mostly done at 14 deg C before I raised it up to 20....

Now it has gone from the Sulphury stinky smell to one of glorious malty aroma which is a beautiful thing... was gunna leave it another 3 days or so at c. 20degC... interested to read what you think @Greeny1525229549 and any other interested Lager brewing Lords 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

In general - hard to be general yes - but in the face of that adversity - in general - how many days do you think that D-Rest can be - like 3-7 or so?

I went a little late (well it was a large yeast cake and it the ferment went quickly) and ferment was mostly done at 14 deg C before I raised it up to 20....

Now it has gone from the Sulphury stinky smell to one of glorious malty aroma which is a beautiful thing... was gunna leave it another 3 days or so at c. 20degC... interested to read what you think @Greeny1525229549 and any other interested Lager brewing Lords 🤔

I don't think it does any harm to leave it 3 or so days after D rest but let your taste buds rule in my opinion mate. Take a sample. If it tastes good "lock it in eddie" I say and start the cold crash

10 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I don't think it does any harm to leave it 3 or so days after D rest but let your taste buds rule in my opinion mate. Take a sample. If it tastes good "lock it in eddie" I say and start the cold crash

Thanks @Greeny1525229549 Greeny.

Rightio - but say in your situation - your D Rest period is the actual time it takes to get from your Brew's 1016 through to the FG?  

7 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Thanks @Greeny1525229549 Greeny.

Rightio - but say in your situation - your D Rest period is the actual time it takes to get from your Brew's 1016 through to the FG?  

I know I'm not as experienced as some around here but I found with my pilsners 4 days d rest  was plenty. About 2 to finish off and clean up let sit for another 2 for rest of sulfur smell to disappear. I found my last sample before keg better tasting than one before with only 3 days before CC. Then again I used yeast slurry in last one and took off like a rocket so maby that's why tasted so good? Maby my advice no good lol.

Side question hope your nice surroundings not flooded? At least tank's will be all full of fresh brewing water?

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

I know I'm not as experienced as some around here but I found with my pilsners 4 days d rest  was plenty. About 2 to finish off and clean up let sit for another 2 for rest of sulfur smell to disappear. I found my last sample before keg better tasting than one before with only 3 days before CC. Then again I used yeast slurry in last one and took off like a rocket so maby that's why tasted so good? Maby my advice no good lol.

Side question hope your nice surroundings not flooded? At least tank's will be all full of fresh brewing water?

All good mate - ta - good - yep will do three more days... and then down to 14 with slow 2-3 degree decrease per day thereafter for yeast clean-up till hits 3. 

Just quickly @jamiek86 would recommend that - doing a slow decrease in temp for the clean-up on the way to CC...  so I did most FV work at 14... then up to DiAc at 20 - then will drop back to that prior FV ferment temp of 14 - and thereafter will drop to 3 degC over 4 days... then cold for sed clarification for few days (most say a week I think at minimum but dunno if I have the time this brew)... you might be doing all that anyway?

And yes thanks mate water in tanks is good - but snails and slugs are hammering the garden haha always something hey?!

Edited by Graubart