Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

Bent's Poke Cranking Shaft IPA - Recipe and ingredients from Aussie Brewmakers in Mansfield, Victoria.  I guess they had to adjust the name for copyright reasons.

1921334814_BentRecipe.jpg.2a2e5b7ae3b13835f89e5df24c5c12ef.jpg

About to add grains

1808111491_Bent1COJC4855.jpg.602109e1fb4d7afb8c761523d559d3dc.jpg

Grains mixed in

184869996_Bent2DRGM8607.jpg.3eebf61492c0d479fd9b97e5389d9fe7.jpg

Mash started

1676265677_Bent3BRDF4104.jpg.5d08731e220e5c68f82e6d07970f7861.jpg

Mash finished (what a glorious colour)

1605943867_Bent4PLPG1420.jpg.f3aa5e119c1c0979ad876104eec5b9ea.jpg

Sparging

891905474_Bent5GKKO3972.jpg.ef9798c469ea8f5f4ab18de363a1d611.jpg

Start of boil

1177016575_Bent6IHEG5048.jpg.cdd7c1c4bf9098d4ce7e9033d046c5bd.jpg

Boil coming to a conclusion

348026242_Bent7RVLB2955.jpg.2e0c92ca2e834e5eb6e47c278d119715.jpg

Boil kettle empty, cube full (plus a couple of bottles of bonus wort)

1481846198_Bent8AHDZ3210.jpg.def8c505910794a7ce05703aba7ffcd6.jpg

• Like 9

Tasted this beauty yesterday, and I'll be doing this one again, cold crashing it 
at the moment in the kegerator, very happy with the color, taste is incredible,
 really cant wait to use honey in more beers as well as roasted malts.

Recipe: Honey Porter
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: English Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.96 L
Post Boil Volume: 26.05 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 21.49 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 46.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 89.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (6.9 EBC)           Grain         1          63.8 %        1.96 L        
0.50 kg          Gladfield Light Crystal Malt (54.0 EBC)          Grain         2          10.6 %        0.33 L        
0.40 kg          Vienna Malt (Briess) (6.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          8.5 %         0.26 L        
0.20 kg          Carafa III (1034.3 EBC)                          Grain         4          4.3 %         0.13 L        
0.10 kg          Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC)                       Grain         5          2.1 %         0.07 L        
0.50 kg          Honey [Boil]                                     Honey         6          10.6 %        0.35 L        
23.00 g          Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop           7          11.1 IBUs     -             
1.22 Items       Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)                Fining        8          -             -             
15.00 g          Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min              Hop           9          7.3 IBUs      -             
16.00 g          Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop           10         5.7 IBUs      -             
1.2 pkg          Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 m Yeast         11         -             -             

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.70 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification  Add 30.54 L of water at 72.1 C          68.9 C        60 min        
Mash Out          Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min               75.6 C        10 min        

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Edited by tja1980
  • Like 6

So I was dry hopping my pale today, was meant to have Galaxy and Summer, Galaxy fine had that in my hop collection, Summer I have been using Saaz for this more recently as Summer has been retired, so I had about 11g of SaaZ, and did some stock take on ingredients, I added Nelson to it as well just left overs 😛 Nelson was smelling nice so 😄.

Tristan

• Like 4

Recipe: Booster Shot Ginger Beer

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 21.6 EBC

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         1          40.0 %        0.98 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         2          6.7 %         0.16 L        
2.00 kg          Dememera Sugar [Boil] (3.9 EBC)                  Sugar         3          53.3 %        1.26 L        
1.00 kg          Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 mins)                     Herb          4          -             -             
2.0 pkg          Vintner's SN9 (Vintner's Harvest #SN9)           Yeast         5          -             -             

I have made ginger beer before but it has been waaay too dry. So I thought I'd go a malty one.

1/2 the ginger came from the garden and bought the rest. It's a bit pricey atm.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, disgruntled said:
Recipe: Booster Shot Ginger Beer

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 21.6 EBC

Ingredients:
------------
1.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         1          40.0 %        0.98 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         2          6.7 %         0.16 L        
2.00 kg          Dememera Sugar [Boil] (3.9 EBC)                  Sugar         3          53.3 %        1.26 L        
1.00 kg          Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 mins)                     Herb          4          -             -             
2.0 pkg          Vintner's SN9 (Vintner's Harvest #SN9)           Yeast         5          -             -             

I have made ginger beer before but it has been waaay too dry. So I thought I'd go a malty one.

1/2 the ginger came from the garden and bought the rest. It's a bit pricey atm.

Nice one I made a ginger beer once and then used the fermenter for a beer afterwards cleaned obviously but a hint of ginger still came through in the beer. Everyone loved it and thought it was great how I added the ginger. I just ran with it like I’d done it on purpose🤣 it was a long time ago before craft beer happened. I could of been rich 🤑 🍻 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Coopers Euro Lager partial mash 

The Euro tin and tin of malt

580 grams pilsner malt and 500 gram ale malt 60 mash between 65 to 69 degrees went up and down but most time around 67 or 8 

Boiled grain wort for 10 after removing the grain bag which is a pillow case. 

20 gram sazz in hop ball 10 min boil and 10 steep FO off heat

Pitched 3 Euro kit yeast at 14 degrees fridge set to 13. 

OG: 1.054 20 litres don't think have ever used Euro kit yeast by self before always with a pack of dubbya or s-189 can't wait try.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

grain bag which is a pillow case. 

Mate go down to the hardware store and grab a pack of paint strainer bags. You get 3 for about $10 and they’re reusable. Then wash the pillow case and put it on your pillow so you can dream malty beery dreams

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Tone boy said:

Mate go down to the hardware store and grab a pack of paint strainer bags. You get 3 for about $10 and they’re reusable. Then wash the pillow case and put it on your pillow so you can dream malty beery dreams

I would have to look at one first see if any better than what using. It's an old pillow case and is perfect size for my small pot I use. I'm fairly sure brew in a bag comes from Australia and was first a pillow case. Heard a couple of yanks say it on a podcast. 

The funny part is I used it for a partial a month or so before watching the video because I didn't have a grain bag. The missus said I was an idiot then I saw the video and showed it to her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My Sam Adams has been 2 weeks in the FV. The ambiant temperature is around 14C. It seems stuck at 1.014. Not sure if it’s worth picking up the FV and swirling it round? It is nice and clear, be a bit if a shame to cloud it all up again but 1.014 from 1.050 doesn’t seems ready. The yeast is W34/70. 
Any thoughts?

Cheers

43 minutes ago, stquinto said:

My Sam Adams has been 2 weeks in the FV. The ambient temperature is around 14C. It seems stuck at 1.014. Not sure if it’s worth picking up the FV and swirling it round? It is nice and clear, be a bit if a shame to cloud it all up again but 1.014 from 1.050 doesn’t seems ready. The yeast is W34/70. 
Any thoughts?

Cheers

Mine got from 1.050 to 1.009 using White Labs WLP840 American Lager.  1.014 seems a little high for W34/70 (Dubbya).

I would warm it up to 18-20°C and give it a bit of a swirl.  I always warm my lagers to around this range just a bit after they get below 1.020.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2021 at 1:20 PM, stquinto said:

My Sam Adams has been 2 weeks in the FV. The ambiant temperature is around 14C. It seems stuck at 1.014. Not sure if it’s worth picking up the FV and swirling it round? It is nice and clear, be a bit if a shame to cloud it all up again but 1.014 from 1.050 doesn’t seems ready. The yeast is W34/70. 
Any thoughts?

Cheers

Hi f you haven’t already check your hydrometer in water for accuracy and also make sure you give it a spin when you drop it in the sample to make sure no co2 bubbles are trapped under the hydrometer making read high. Or as Shamus said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today has seen 2 brews go into the FV.

One is a Kveik basic lager(?) - LDME, sugar and Coopers Lager, hops tea of 20g super pride and 10g Amarillo. That's gone into the cupboard with temp set to 32°, normal FV. Lallemand say 30° is 3 - 4 days ferment - 32° should push it closer to 3 days. I'd go higher but I don't know whether that would affect the dry enzyme that's in there.

The other is in the kegmenter under pressure, 25g EKG boil 10 mins, 25g fuggles hops tea, Nott yeast, Coopers APA, Light LME can, 500g LDME and some brown sugar to make the starter. I find the brown sugar gives a nice flavour to the beer, not strong but a hint. I plan to add strawberries to ti towards the end of ferment. I have some pureed ones as ice blocks in the freezer and will use gelatin finings to cut the tannins at CC.

Now it's beer o'clock!

I have worked out I can put the kegmenter (30L model) AND the fermentasaurus G3 into the fridge at the same time, both with pressure kits. Just have to move the shelf up to the next notch and VOILA! 😄 So I don't think I am selling the G3 any more. 😄 (wanna bet NOw is when someone on BSS on FB wants to buy it? 😄 )

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A double banger brew day today.  And for the first time in my life watched a whole day of test cricket whilst brewing, OMG what is my world coming too?

• 1st brew was another Oz Devil's USPA but I ran out of Centennial (only had 5 g) so had to sub in 20 g of Cascade to make up for it in the 20" steep.

OzDevil’s American Pale Ale # 2
Volume 22 L    Batch # 67    AG Batch # 28

Estimated specs:    OG = 1.040, FG = 1.007, ABV = 4.3 %, EBC = 8.8, IBU = 33.7, BU:GU = 0.785

Water:
Filtered rainwater (1 micron)

Salts added:
Salt                         0.90 g
Gypsum                  1.80 g
Epson Salts            3.85 g
Calcium Chloride   2.90 g

Grains:
Vic Ale Malt (BB)                3.50 kg
Gladfield Toffee Malt         0.25 kg
Maris Otter (SIMP)             0.25 kg
Acidulated (WEY)               0.20 kg
Carapils/Carafoam (WEY)   0.25 kg

Mash:
Acid rest at 50 C for 10” then 65 C for 60” then mash out 78 C for 10”

Hop schedule:
Columbus (Tomahawk) US        08 g @ 60”
Centennial                                05 g hop stand 92 C for 20”    note I used a coffee plunger for this.
Cascade                                    20 g hop stand 92 C for 20”    note I used a coffee plunger for this.
Citra                                         25 g hop stand 92 C for 20”    note I used a coffee plunger for this.
Centennial                               50 g Dry hop BD + 3 or 4
Citra                                        50 g Dry hop BD + 3 or 4

Yeast:
US-05                 250 ml reclaimed from previous batch of OzDevils USPA.

Ferment schedule:
Pitch @ 18 C and held there for 3 days then stepped up to 22 C for 4 days then cold crash routine (down 4 C each day until 2 C reached then held at 2 C until kegged).

• 2nd Brew was a full "all grain" version of a Coopers Sparkling Ale (no added cane sugar this time).  The predicted OG was 1.047 but it hit 1.056 so must have done something a bit different somewhere so will see as ABV is now a fair bit higher than I like so might have to water it down to 23 L or more to get back to what I want.

Coopers Sparkling Ale - Ali-cat's AG (no extra sugar) version 1.0

Volume 22 L                Batch # 68                    AG Batch # 29

Estimated specs:        OG = 1.057, FG = 1.015, ABV = 6.2 %, EBC = 11.7, IBU = 23.7, BU:GU = 0.448

Water:

Filtered rainwater (1 micron)

Salts added:

None.

Lactic Acid added:

5 ml.

Grains:

Maris Otter (SIMP)                                          4.50 kg

Wheat Malt (WEY)                                          0.75 kg

Carapils/Carafoam (WEY)                               0.25 kg

Crystal Light 88 (SIMP)                                  0.20 kg

Mash:

Acid rest at 50 C for 10” then 69 C for 60” then mash out 78 C for 10”

Hop schedule:

PoR                                                                          10 g @ 60”

PoR                                                                          15 g @ 10”

Yeast:

CCA                                                                         250 ml reclaimed from previous batch of CIPA Collaboration IPA.

Ferment schedule:

Pitch @ 17 C and then let rise 1 C per day until 22 C leave for 4 days then cold crash routine (down 4 C each day until 2 C reached then held at 2 C until kegged).

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

A double banger brew day today.  And for the first time in my life watched a whole day of test cricket whilst brewing, OMG what is my world coming too?

They say that with age comes wisdom, maybe you now have the wisdom to enjoy the Ashes! It has been a great series so far, I find that those that criticize Test cricket have limited understanding of the nuances of the game, it has so many subtleties and twists that it is just gripping viewing, IMHO.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

They say that with age comes wisdom, maybe you now have the wisdom to enjoy the Ashes! It has been a great series so far, I find that those that criticize Test cricket have limited understanding of the nuances of the game, it has so many subtleties and twists that it is just gripping viewing, IMHO.

I used to love playing competition cricket as young man but could not stand on the sidelines say when we had a bye and watch out a game, just bored me.  Opposite with AFL footy, you had to drag me scratching and gouging on to the field in order to go out and play in a country league game but I did like sitting on the sidelines watching matches of my teammates.

Tennis I love playing and watching.  Soccer I love watching and wish I could play it.

Yes Cricket is a very skillful and tactical game and some very bad luck when I get out!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Soccer I love watching and wish I could play it

I'm so the opposite. Nothing ever happens in soccer except the occasional bad acting. Some years ago during a world cup year, before it started they had a bunch of old world cup games on foxtel. The players didn't fall down the moment someone touched them, they were very aggressive. It was actually so much fun to watch. The game they play now is garbage by comparison. It kinda reminds me of rugby league. Was a very different game when I was a kid. No fun to watch the modern game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

@Red devil 44 looking good you must be happy with your new brew toys

Yeah @jamiek86, further down the rabbit hole I plunge.

‘I’m back doing fifo work so thinking of doing 1 large brew whilst home, so looking at the 65L Brewzilla and a large fermenter, so can nail a double batch, as I’m busier than ever now.

All good fun, may go the kegmenter also 🤔🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1