Put down a All Grain Australian Pale Ale - No Rules - No Chill
This is the 2nd All Grain I have done while dialing in the new kettle and mash tun changes I've made.
Boil Size: 25.85 L (*)
Post Boil Volume: 23.96 L (**)
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L
Bottling Volume: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 12.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.60 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
4.50 kg (Briess) Pale Malt (2 Row) (7.0 EBC) Grain 1 92.8 % 2.93 L
0.25 kg (Briess) Carapils Malt (2.0 EBC) Grain 2 5.2 % 0.16 L
0.10 kg (Briess) Caramel Munich Malt 60L (120.0 EBC) Grain 3 2.1 % 0.07 L
14.00 g Super Alpha [13.00 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 4 25.2 IBUs -
1.22 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 - -
10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 90 Hop 6 5.0 IBUs -
10.00 g Summer (Summer Saaz) [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 7 2.0 IBUs -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 m Yeast 8 - -
35.00 g Summer (Summer Saaz) [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs -
20.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs -
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.85 kg
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 14.65 L of water at 73.5 C 66.7 C 60 min
Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 17.06L) of 75.6 C water
So was just over my Brew House Efficiency 72% (72.60%), a couple of issues I found:
*) I've only accounted for dead space under the false bottom that can't be recovered so I guess this is one part of my dead space loss
i) My pre-boil volume came out at 29.50 liters, estimated in Beer Smith was 25.85 liters, I only put 31.5 liters in not 31.71, I'm at a loss as to why the estimate was 25.85, is this due how the grain was milled I'm still trying to work out what the recoverable value would be based on.
**) Since modifying the kettle with the electric element this has changed my boil off, which originally based on gas, this is a easy one to resolve.
ii) Take enough water to cover the element say 10 liters in my case, bring it to boil for 15 minutes, cut the power put the lid on the kettle and then measure what I have left out of the 10 liters then multiply that by 4.
I was happy my mash strike temp was .3 off the estimate, and also my mash efficiency was 97%, with the 1.2 liter top up this hit my estimated OG of 1.046, so yesterday was a successful brew I noted four issues I had three have been resolved, notably the boil off rate still needs to be adjusted.
I did have a stuck sparge this added 30 minutes to the mash schedule, purely this was trying to unclog the tube from the pick up on the false bottom to the drain port, I did end up adding an extra 3 liters from the 17 I had in the HLT, this made the mash less gluey but didn't resolve it, blowing up the drain pipe cleared it after a few attempts to where I had a nice flow.
There is a little gap where the false bottom isn't quite flat, so I'll take about 10 mm of material off the screen this should fix that
Hope these notes help some people out with starting all grain brews