Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

Thanks @Hairy that'll come in very handy...  ; )

image.thumb.png.4a5ff19038711e2ca08eeae6da223adf.png

This is all that I got in my Brew Basket at the moment.... pipes and little re-circ pump and the voltage controller for kettle boil haha 😆

... in readiness for the next 2021 Brew Day : )

• Like 2

Recipe: German Wheat
Brewer: Grumpy

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          50.0 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.30 L        
20.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           3          20.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          German Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3333) [124.21 ml]     Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

Put on the Three C’s Pale Ale from Zcheeky Peak on Saturday using the exact recipe from their Facebook page.

Did my own milling for the first time so went a little coarser with the grain then I had been getting from the brew shop, and didn’t bother with the sparge that I had been doing previously. Was 2 points over pre boil and 4 points over post boil for 23l.

Cooling on restricted water is a pain in the butt but I’ve got a plan for that - watch this space!

• Haha 1

Nice Temp @jamiek86 JK... I woulda stuck halfa pack of BE or halfa kg of dry malt stuff in as well.... but depends if you wanna get to 5% and associated xtra body or not I guess...  LME is the goods tho I reckon 👍  And a bit of extra hoppage mate - good luck with that brew should be a nice summer quaffer ; )  Have not tried 189 but they say its good ; )  Be interested to see what you think vs W34/70 mate. 

36 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Nice Temp @jamiek86 JK... I woulda stuck halfa pack of BE or halfa kg of dry malt stuff in as well.... but depends if you wanna get to 5% and associated xtra body or not I guess...  LME is the goods tho I reckon 👍  And a bit of extra hoppage mate - good luck with that brew should be a nice summer quaffer ; )  Have not tried 189 but they say its good ; )  Be interested to see what you think vs W34/70 mate. 

yes I have 2 packs of w34/70 ready for when get my pilsner tin in mail. Was just getting rid of these 2. The plan with trying to keep this one in mid 4% is to age until end Feb and serve for my kids birthday party. Adults of course 😄 so should be nice in hot weather and not too strong for some people that coming. When I brew my next pale ale and pilsner after that I have every intention of making them about or over 5% with pretty much same ingredients plus more Light Dry Malt. 

• Like 1

I brew therefore I am... René Descartes 1637

image.png.bc9f42b84d949da01eeced7327294c4e.png

Wooohoooo Brew Day again... an Ale of sorts...  Voyager Veloria, Maris Otter, Voyager Atlas and some Wheat... looking ok:

image.thumb.png.d1e71874fa64373bb3d890ec17ac53bf.png

Not going to pump today... bit of an exbeeriment... Cheers Brewhahas... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 4

I was about to make a Kn'K of BrewA IPA with a tin of light malt extract but I discovered this bloom of mould in the malt.

Now I'm not here to denigrate Coopers because things like this can happen. The reason I'm posting this photo is to point out a practise I've written about before. Inverting the tins as @Stickers has done, above, and putting the tins in hot water prior to opening. I've said it's a waste of time and water, when you can just as easily pour hot water into the tin once you've emptied the contents. Now it appears by avoiding these practices I've also avoided putting contaminated ingredients in my brew.

Just a heads up for those using extracts. You're welcome. 🍻🙂

PS. I still made the IPA as I had more malt on hand.

IMG20210109095402.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stickers said:

@MUZZY a bit too late for me now.. might avoid inverting the can in future though, cheers for the heads up

You should be right as rain. This is the first time it's ever happened to me and I would have used scores of tins before but I figured I should share my thoughts because it may be useful information to others.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I was about to make a Kn'K of BrewA IPA with a tin of light malt extract but I discovered this bloom of mould in the malt.

Now I'm not here to denigrate Coopers because things like this can happen. The reason I'm posting this photo is to point out a practise I've written about before. Inverting the tins as @Stickers has done, above, and putting the tins in hot water prior to opening. I've said it's a waste of time and water, when you can just as easily pour hot water into the tin once you've emptied the contents. Now it appears by avoiding these practices I've also avoided putting contaminated ingredients in my brew.

Just a heads up for those using extracts. You're welcome. 🍻🙂

PS. I still made the IPA as I had more malt on hand.

IMG20210109095402.jpg

The can does not seem as full as they usually are either.  Maybe that's part of the issue.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The can does not seem as full as they usually are either.  Maybe that's part of the issue.  

You might be on to something there, Shamus. Strangely enough, I opened a second tin that was also mouldy (not as much as the first) but a different batch number. It's contents level was similar. I had two more tins that were fine. They had the same batch numbers of the mouldy ones. I didn't pay attention to the levels of the usable tins. 

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

You might be on to something there, Shamus. Strangely enough, I opened a second tin that was also mouldy (not as much as the first) but a different batch number. It's contents level was similar. I had two more tins that were fine. They had the same batch numbers of the mouldy ones. I didn't pay attention to the levels of the usable tins. 

I didn't think the malt tins had best before dates on them like the hopped ones? where does it contain batch info so can track how old?

6 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

I didn't think the malt tins had best before dates on them like the hopped ones? where does it contain batch info so can track how old?

Hi Jamie. They don't have a best before date. They have Julian code eg. the tins I had were 148/20 and 168/20. Meaning they were made on the 148th and 168th day of 2020.

50 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

i've only used a few of the pure extract cans but have noticed they have more headroom than the standard cans. pretty sure they're the same sized cans but are 1.5kg as opposed to the 1.7kg ones.

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am planning the Chubby Cherub next weekend, so I will be checking out the Light and Amber Extract cans.

@MUZZY, Jamie has a point about contacting customer support, even just for quality control purposes.

yes im sure they would like to know and compare if get more complaints about same batch.

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

@Stickers No, the 1.5kg tin is slightly shorter than the 1.7kg.

@jamiek86 @Shamus O'Sean I've emailed Coopers customer service and included photos for their perusal earlier today.

I was looking the other day when done lager with malt can and noticed small difference in can size and fill level. Have to admit have never really paid attention before pouring it in did it have a smell as well as looking bad?