Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

19 hours ago, kmar92 said:

OK time to fess up, sorry fellow (ex) kits and bits people. I have moved to the dark side and completed my 1st AG attempt today! 

Well done @kmar92 , you finally got there.  Looks a lot like my setup ha ha.😁

You mentioned your burner did not sit level hence the timber packer.  I think it has probably been dropped somewhere in the manufacturing / packing / transit stage and that one leg has been bent up a tad.  You should be able to bend it back down to make your burner platform level, just need a spirit level to be hanging on your peg board and you will fix that problem like a master fabricator.  🤣

Looking forward to seeing all your AG brew days from now on going super smoothly.  Cheers

• Like 2

Brew day today – Finally got some supplies of the required hops last week.

CIPA – Collaboration IPA All Grain Recipe, just trying to replicate the Coopers Australian IPA.  Aiming for the same flavour, EBC of 12 and bitterness of 40 IBU, although I dropped the ABV slightly down from 6.6 to 6.2 % ABV

Batch # 67 - AG Batch #26

Volume: 22 L

Estimated specs:  OG = 1.060, FG = 1.013, ABV = 6.2%, EBC = 11.7, IBU = 39.6, BU:GU = 0.732

Grains: VIC Ale malt (BB) = 3.50 kg, Wheat malt (WEY) = 1.00 kg, Acidulated malt (WEY) = 0.20 kg, Caramunich II (WEY) 0.15 kg, Toffee malt (GLAD) 0.15 kg

Mash schedule: AR = 50 C for 10”, 69 C for 60”, MO = 78 C for 12” (4.0 ml Lactic Acid added to strike water)

Boil: 60”

Hops schedule: 20 g x PoR (8.50%) boil @ 60”, 12 g x Eclipse (18.70%) boil @ 5”, 12 g x Vic Secret (15.50%) boil @ 5”

White sugar added: 0.40 kg boiled @ 15”

Yeast nutrient: 5.00 g boiled @ 15”

Whirlfloc granules: 1.0 g boiled @ 5”

Dry hop: 20 g x Eclipse (18.70%) on BD+3 or 4, 20 g x Vic Secret (15.50%) on BD+3 or 4.

Yeast: 300 ml Reclaimed CCA from batch of Coopers Sparkling Ale - Brew #57.

Ferment as per CCA temp profile starting at 17 C for 3 days then allowing it to rise to 22 C by BD +7.

Coopers Australian IPA.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 9

28 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

CIPA – Collaboration IPA All Grain Recipe, just trying to replicate the Coopers Australian IPA.  Aiming for the same flavour, EBC of 12 and bitterness of 40 IBU, although I dropped the ABV slightly down from 6.6 to 6.2 % ABV

Estimated specs:  OG = 1.060, FG = 1.013, ABV = 6.2%, EBC = 11.7, IBU = 39.6, BU:GU = 0.732

Grains: VIC Ale malt (BB) = 3.50 kg, Wheat malt (WEY) = 1.00 kg, Acidulated malt (WEY) = 0.20 kg, Caramunich II (WEY) 0.15 kg, Toffee malt (GLAD) 0.15 kg

Mash schedule: AR = 50 C for 10”, 69 C for 60”, MO = 78 C for 12” (4.0 ml Lactic Acid added to strike water)

Hops schedule: 20 g x PoR (8.50%) boil @ 60”, 12 g x Eclipse (18.70%) boil @ 5”, 12 g x Vic Secret (15.50%) boil @ 5”

Dry hop: 20 g x Eclipse (18.70%) on BD+3 or 4, 20 g x Vic Secret (15.50%) on BD+3 or 4.

Ferment as per CCA temp profile starting at 17 C for 3 days then allowing it to rise to 22 C by BD +7.

Looks absolutely awesome Al but far too many job sheets for me, all the best. 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

i like the sound of that brew  @iBooz2   

might drop that into  brewfather tommorow

• Like 3

A reasonably quick partial brew day today... well, not a brew 'day' as such, more like a few hours!  Picked up a Lion tin cheap so I'm brewing a 2nd version of my "Golden Lion":

• 1.7kg Lion Draught
  • 1.2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 10g Pacific Jade @10mins
  • 25g Cascade @2mins
  • 25g Amarillo @2mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

20 litre batch. Fermenting this one at 38ºC. 

| OG=1.040 | IBU=33 | ABV=4.2%, | EBC=10 |

• Like 5

Got my kilo bags of light dry malt and US-05 yeasts delivery from craftbrewer this arvo so tomorrow I plan to put on an APA kit can with a kilo of LDM and some US-O5 in my 2nd FV.

Meanwhile I had a bit of an empty bottle head count and decided I need few more so having some Coopers sparkling ale 750's while I get some beer fermenting.

Why is it so hard to find these boxes of 750ml coopers bottles in my Vic town? I skun out Uncle Dan's the other day, they had no full boxes in the coolroom or anywhere and had to make up a dozen from their single bottles fridge, same thing again today at First choice liquor. I called BWS they had two warm boxes and don't price match so bugger that.

Edited by Frosty Chop
exra info
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BlackSands said:

A reasonably quick partial brew day today... well, not a brew 'day' as such, more like a few hours!  Picked up a Lion tin cheap so I'm brewing a 2nd version of my "Golden Lion":

• 1.7kg Lion Draught
  • 1.2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 10g Pacific Jade @10mins
  • 25g Cascade @2mins
  • 25g Amarillo @2mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

20 litre batch. Fermenting this one at 38ºC. 

| OG=1.040 | IBU=33 | ABV=4.2%, | EBC=10 |

about a 4 day ferment at that temp with kveik voss?

1 hour ago, Frosty Chop said:

Got my kilo bags of light dry malt and US-05 yeasts delivery from craftbrewer this arvo so tomorrow I plan to put on an APA kit can with a kilo of LDM and some US-O5 in my 2nd FV.

Meanwhile I had a bit of an empty bottle head count and decided I need few more so having some Coopers sparkling ale 750's while I get some beer fermenting.

Why is it so hard to find these boxes of 750ml coopers bottles in my Vic town? I skun out Uncle Dan's the other day, they had no full boxes in the coolroom or anywhere and had to make up a dozen from their single bottles fridge, same thing again today at First choice liquor. I called BWS they had two warm boxes and don't price match so bugger that.

I had the same problem while trying up my bottle count, Seems the stores only use longnecks to fill the Fridges for one off sales not as a Carton sell. Well that was what the manager I spoke to told me. Dan's have more but same sale policy. 

• Like 1

Put this one down today. Ive had it stored away for ages and waiting for inspiration to get it in the fermenter.

I quite enjoyed the K@K process again, although it was a bit drawn out with the specialty malt boil.

This should keg up nicely i reckon. 

APA.JPG

• Like 4

On 11/18/2021 at 9:40 PM, kmar92 said:

OK time to fess up, sorry fellow (ex) kits and bits people. I have moved to the dark side and completed my 1st AG attempt today! A modest attempt at a pale ale with some Veloria Schooner, Munich, Caramunich and a dash of Carapils. Bittered with Centennial and some whirlpool additions of Centennial, Cascade and Citra. Went well with a few bumps along the way. I have a cube of AG goodness that will be ready for the fermenter tomorrow.

1730e.JPG

1732e.JPG

1735e.JPG

Beautiful!!!!

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I had the same problem while trying up my bottle count, Seems the stores only use longnecks to fill the Fridges for one off sales not as a Carton sell. Well that was what the manager I spoke to told me. Dan's have more but same sale policy. 

Are you guys saying you cannot buy Cartons of Beer in Victoria ?  We have a huge choice in SA but then the beer is far superior 🤣 I can buy anything I want when I buy commercial beer & also often pick up  3 bottles of Coopers Pale Ale for $15.50 Or 6 for $25.00.

It helps to jump the stock up when you feel the need, I have 6 x Fermenters so I have to be on the ball.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Put this one down today. Ive had it stored away for ages and waiting for inspiration to get it in the fermenter.

I quite enjoyed the K@K process again, although it was a bit drawn out with the specialty malt boil.

APA.JPG

hope it goes well. i've always wanted to try one of these but always put off by the pricetag

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Are you guys saying you cannot buy Cartons of Beer in Victoria ?  We have a huge choice in SA but then the beer is far superior 🤣 I can buy anything I want when I buy commercial beer & also often pick up  3 bottles of Coopers Pale Ale for $15.50 Or 6 for $25.00.

It helps to jump the stock up when you feel the need, I have 6 x Fermenters so I have to be on the ball.

cartons of longnecks phil, they don't stock em like they used to

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stickers said:

hope it goes well. i've always wanted to try one of these but always put off by the pricetag

I had a voucher i won for the Coopers store, so i thought i'd give it a crack. I think if you put the ingredients together yourself the price wouldn't be any different. Postage is a killer with Coopers.

5 minutes ago, Stickers said:

cartons of longnecks phil, they don't stock em like they used to

Yes that's what I am talking about Cartons of Longnecks x 12 we  have heaps of them here, any brand you want, all stacked up on the bottle shop floor/cool room, everywhere. In fact the closer we get to Xmas they will be plentiful !! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes that's what I am talking about Cartons of Longnecks x 12 we  have heaps of them here, any brand you want, all stacked up on the bottle shop floor/cool room, everywhere. In fact the closer we get to Xmas they will be plentiful !! 

Well I guess Coopers is the local drop in SA so I'd expect it to be in store there. When I was gathering (drinking) longneck bottles of it several years ago there was no shortage here either, I was just recently surprised by it. There is plenty of boxes of Coopers stubbies/cans available and plenty of longneck Vomit Bomb and Melboune Bile bottles available.  

Anyhoo back on topic, I've probably dragged it off far enough now. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

APA.JPG

I will definitely be interested to read your tasting notes on this one.  I made it a while ago.  However, I did add a 20 minute boil of 27g of Topaz.  On approaching mine, the sweet caramel aroma was a little concerning.  However, the bitterness was spot on for me.  It cut through the sweetness in a really nice way.  One of those beers where the aroma is quite a bit different to the flavour.  The Topaz boil made the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I will definitely be interested to read your tasting notes on this one.  I made it a while ago.  However, I did add a 20 minute boil of 27g of Topaz.  On approaching mine, the sweet caramel aroma was a little concerning.  However, the bitterness was spot on for me.  It cut through the sweetness in a really nice way.  One of those beers where the aroma is quite a bit different to the flavour.  The Topaz boil made the difference.

Ah ok Shamus, i actually went the other way with hopping. As per instructions it asked for a 5 minute boil with 10grams of the simcoe and cascade. I just did a flame out with that addition because i was tired of bitter extract brews in the past. So mine may be less bitter than your version.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes when shes in the keg.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stickers said:

about a 4 day ferment at that temp with kveik voss?

16 hours ago, BlackSands said:

No way!  MUCH quicker than that!   I'd say around 36 hours.  I usually leave it 3 days though and then cold crash.  

@Stickers  By way of an update - it's now around 24hrs into the fermentation which has slowed right down,  SG=1.008.  So, yup definitely looking like it'll be around 36hrs-ish when it will be done.  If I was in any kind of hurry I could actually start the cold crash tomorrow...  

👨‍🔬

• Like 4

Just finished off brew day. A nice little Aussie Pale Ale using leftover grain. One hop addition with Super Pride to 26 ibu. I wanted to use recultured Coopers Pale Ale yeast but didn't get it done. Two packets of dry Coopers yeast will suffice. Should be around 4.4%  colour was beautiful. A little lighter than CPA.

20211124_184256.jpg

• Like 8

Put down my flanders red Today. Smacked the smack pack as I mashed in. Brew day went as smooth as silk. Except the smack pack ain't swelling. BBD of march 2022. I was intending to quick chill this and pitch tonight but change of plan. Decanted 2L into my erlenmeyer and cubed the rest. Hopefully the 2L fires up and can pitch it all into the glass fermenter in the morning. If it doesn't fire up then it might have to be a flanders red saison. 😭

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Put down my flanders red Today. Smacked the smack pack as I mashed in. Brew day went as smooth as silk. Except the smack pack ain't swelling. BBD of march 2022. I was intending to quick chill this and pitch tonight but change of plan. Decanted 2L into my erlenmeyer and cubed the rest. Hopefully the 2L fires up and can pitch it all into the glass fermenter in the morning. If it doesn't fire up then it might have to be a flanders red saison. 😭

Fingers crossed for you Greeny 🤞

• Like 1