Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

Mashed, boiled and cubed 44 L of my LL recipe today,  this is batch # 67 AG batch # 26.  Only tweak with this one is I run low on Carapils so had to use 400 g instead of 500 g so upped the crystal light (88) from 150 g to 200 g to make up for that.

Got 2 cubes and will dirty pitch those tomorrow (Friday) into the 58 L Kegmenter on existing Diamond Lager yeast trub now that that is empty and waiting.

Hopefully tomorrow I can also pitch the CIPA (colaboration IPA) from the cube and drop some CCA yeast into that one as well.

Also planning on doing a 44 L double batch of the 1911 Carlsberg Pilsner and cubing that up tomorrow as well so it will be a full on day.  Think I am going to be a bit stuffed tomorrow night.

LL Batch # 67 AG Batch # 26 - resized.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Partial mash GCL after bottled Brew A made it a long day. 

Coops GCL & Tin malt

Additional 500g dry pilsner malt

500 grams each pale ale and pilsner malt 60 min mash 66 to 69 degrees

200 grams Carapils 35 steep

mash out reached 79 degrees for a few mins hope not caused off flavours anyone ever done this and stuffed a brew?

15 grams lemondrop 10 boil 9 steep

15 grams perle 9 steep

22 litres OG:1.054 pitched 3 jars dubbya slurry at 23.5 degrees bringing down to 15 as fast as can then after rest fridge to 12 

20211210_164410.jpg

• Like 2

Wash, Bottle and Brew.

Bottled a Pale Ale, Bulk Primed the sugar, might have stirred a bit too fast. left it for an hour, still cloudy.

Washed up and put in a simple Stout,  1.5k of Dark dry Malt, will dry hop in a few days.

Keep it simple (for Now).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

you was a touch on the high side of life   but hey you made beer

that is a good thing I suppose I can always add another hop tea to mask the off flavours too I suppose. I'll just pretend I'm a Viking drinking uncontrolled random ale 🍺 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Wash, Bottle and Brew.

Bottled a Pale Ale, Bulk Primed the sugar, might have stirred a bit too fast. left it for an hour, still cloudy.

Washed up and put in a simple Stout,  1.5k of Dark dry Malt, will dry hop in a few days.

Keep it simple (for Now).

what are you planning for dry hop? You going to drink it young?

G'day All,

Its been so long, this year without my kegerator has made it impossible, but finally got my fridge parts earlier last month I have been waiting since February.   With the fridge backup production is a go:

Apple Cider "Apple Pie Cider", 6.4 % ABV, last weekend - I'll post this Frankenstein

Recipe: Honey Porter
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: English Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.96 L
Post Boil Volume: 26.05 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 21.49 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 46.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 89.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (6.9 EBC)           Grain         1          63.8 %        1.96 L        
0.50 kg          Gladfield Light Crystal Malt (54.0 EBC)          Grain         2          10.6 %        0.33 L        
0.40 kg          Vienna Malt (Briess) (6.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          8.5 %         0.26 L        
0.20 kg          Carafa III (1034.3 EBC)                          Grain         4          4.3 %         0.13 L        
0.10 kg          Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC)                       Grain         5          2.1 %         0.07 L        
0.50 kg          Honey [Boil]                                     Honey         6          10.6 %        0.35 L        
23.00 g          Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop           7          11.1 IBUs     -             
1.22 Items       Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)                Fining        8          -             -             
15.00 g          Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min              Hop           9          7.3 IBUs      -             
16.00 g          Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop           10         5.7 IBUs      -             
1.2 pkg          Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 m Yeast         11         -             -             

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.70 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification  Add 30.54 L of water at 72.1 C          68.9 C        60 min        
Mash Out          Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min               75.6 C        10 min        

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

I did scale this down to ferment in the Keg, I removed the Dip tube, swapped the In/Out so I could use the In barb inside the keg for a flexible dip tube with a filter and float, PSI is 10 on the blowtie @ 20 degrees, just cleaned up the blow I had 😛, lost OG points when I scaled back as I didnt adjust my equipment profile so it came out .8 less so 4.1% still not bad smells delicious.

Tomorrow tripple brew day with a tight crisp wheat "think alby" lager for my dad, APA and a IPA, I'll pretty much brew under pressure to cut the times down, I'm no stranger to brewing under pressure 😜 

Regards,

Tristan 

Edited by tja1980
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

what are you planning for dry hop? You going to drink it young?

Dry Hop is going to be 25g Kent Goldings, about day 6-9 or so.

Will be tasting early but this one is for the cooler months, May onward.

Will do another batch after I've had a taste and have an idea of what to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Dry Hop is going to be 25g Kent Goldings, about day 6-9 or so.

Will be tasting early but this one is for the cooler months, May onward.

Will do another batch after I've had a taste and have an idea of what to change.

If you only dry hop the taste of it disappears after about 6 weeks especially with a darker beer. Maby a hop tea with 50 grams cooled and strained on top of beer?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

If you only dry hop the taste of it disappears after about 6 weeks especially with a darker beer. Maby a hop tea with 50 grams cooled and strained on top of beer?

Thanks for the info, I'll go the Hop Tea instead.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Thanks for the info, I'll go the Hop Tea instead.

the couple you try young will seem like 50 grams is too much for a dark beer. The ones that age into next year will blend in nicely as more of the malt comes through that you get with dark beer. This happened with my Irish stout probably 6 months in bottle now is superb only 2 left but is summer so not into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished a favorite pale of mine, think I've put the recipe up here before 😄 put it to bed in the morning, was meant to be a big brew day, ended up fixing the blow tie for my Honey Porter, added a bottle for the blow off, got it back to 10psi after cleaning the first blow out, next time I'll just let it blow off into a bottle.

Also fixed my HPG on my MK3 regulator, got gas and did some shopping at the local brew store 😛

• Like 3

Knocked up a Samuel Adams BIAB. Looking promising, and the temperature in the store room behind the garage is cold enough (13C) for Dubya. 
Also a quick Steam Ale from the Coopers recipe (using Real Ale, Norther Brewer hops and S-23 but fermented at 18C. 

C19AB043-3E00-46FE-850C-8A4FCE23C0A6.jpeg

• Like 1

Recipe: Cherry Sour
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Catharina Sour

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          50.0 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.63 L        
5.00 g           Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          4.9 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Wildbrew Philly Sour (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         4          -             -             

1 kg frozen cherries
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, disgruntled said:
Recipe: Cherry Sour
Style: Catharina Sour

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          50.0 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.63 L        
5.00 g           Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          4.9 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Wildbrew Philly Sour (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         4          -             -             

1 kg frozen cherries
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@disgruntled will that be veering towards a Kriek or a Rodenbach? 
I just tried another sour that the bloke in tge local beer shop recommended. A bit meh…. I think it needs some fruit - this one was a sour lager

3873B580-AD94-420E-914A-D8E6369213AC.jpeg

8 minutes ago, stquinto said:

will that be veering towards a Kriek or a Rodenbach? 

Probably neither. Catharina Sour is a Brazillian take on a sour, supposed to be tropical fruits but I thought I'd go cherries for christmas

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

Probably neither. Catharina Sour is a Brazillian take on a sour, supposed to be tropical fruits but I thought I'd go cherries for christmas

Sounds interesting mate. I’d like to try a Kriek some time, but probably do a half batch. I have a few others lined up first

Recipe: IPA
Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 9.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 91.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          33.3 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          33.3 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          16.7 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         4          16.7 %        0.65 L        
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop           5          46.8 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min Hop           6          15.4 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           7          15.0 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           8          14.2 IBUs     -             

Lallemand Farmhouse 
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, disgruntled said:
Recipe: IPA
Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 9.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 91.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          33.3 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          33.3 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          16.7 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         4          16.7 %        0.65 L        
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop           5          46.8 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min Hop           6          15.4 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           7          15.0 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           8          14.2 IBUs     -             

Lallemand Farmhouse 

Big beer that one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Big beer that one.

Looks like it will have a ton of flavour and complexity as well, with lots of twists and turns working your way through the malt, hops and to top it off with a farmhouse yeast. 😋 Nice work @disgruntled can’t wait for the review. 

• Like 3

Another partial went down today - a lite Amber Ale:

• 1 x Coopers Lager
  • 1kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Red Back Malt
  • 200g GF Shepherds Delight
  • 50g Carafa III
  • 15g Pacific Jade @10mins
  • 25g Amarillo @5min
  • 25g Cascade @3min
  • Kveik Voss

| OG=1.043 | IBU=36 | EBC=30.5 |