Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 22.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         1          48.8 %        1.30 L        
1.20 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         2          29.3 %        0.78 L        
0.80 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          19.5 %        0.52 L        
0.05 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          1.2 %         0.03 L        
0.05 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         5          1.2 %         0.03 L        
30.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           6          31.8 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 4

Edit, not Voss.... 

this one

DRIED LUTRA® KVEIK 

The same shockingly clean Lutra that you love in liquid form is now available in a convenient dry format. Dried Lutra’s clean canvas, huge temperature range, high alcohol tolerance and fast finishing speeds means unrivaled flexibility and versatility for nearly any style. For a refreshing pseudo-lager or a huge imperial stout — for any reason you’re using a neutral dry yeast, use Dried Lutra and get more, faster. 

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

I'm using up some dregs as I have an order coming soo. No more Pale left so topped it up with Carapils.

Should be nicely aussie draught ish

Fair whack of carapils in that one DG. I’ve read to go up to about 5%, but not sure why they say that. I’ll be interested to hear how it turns out. 
Should be a quick one too 👍🍻

• Like 1

Galaxy/Eclipse brew today smells really nice just thrown on top of my Captain Sensible brew yeast cake which I kegged during the mash, just thrown together after work fermenting already. Never used eclipse before could smell the mandarin peel straight out the packet looking forward to it.😋

B2D0884B-43E7-430D-8A4A-BCC09B60F307.png

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 3

i've totally run my stocks down and finally getting to the homebrew shop and picking up some bits and bobs. i haven't bought yeast in ages, but going to try lalbrew windsor over the christmas break. also grabbed some american ale and simpsons amber malt for my partials and a big 250g bag of cascade so i will finally have galaxy and cascade in the same brew at the same time. looking forward to time off from work and time back into making some brews 🍻

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Yup!  It's now well and truly become my "house strain" - I've lost count of how many times I've reused the slurry now, but it's certainly a lot.  👨‍🔬

Yep. Reusing yeast is a saving everyone should do IMO. I have WY1214 Chimay well over 20 reuses. It's mutated into something slightly different from the original which funnily enough I like better than the original. Had a WY2001 Budvar lager which I had over 20 resuses as well. It mutated into something I didn't like so got binned. Keep going till you get something you don't like I say..

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Keep going till you get something you don't like I say..

Yup.  I think I'm well past 20 cycles now - and I wonder if kveik might be a little more robust than other strains?  Either way, it continues to do the job as it always has done and I'll just keep going withit until there's good reason not to.  I read an article a while back about some brewery in the UK that had been reusing their house strain for over 20 years!

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Yup.  I think I'm well past 20 cycles now - and I wonder if kveik might be a little more robust than other strains?  Either way, it continues to do the job as it always has done and I'll just keep going withit until there's good reason not to.  I read an article a while back about some brewery in the UK that had been reusing their house strain for over 20 years!

Have you tried drying kveik out and reusing BS ?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Yup!  It's now well and truly become my "house strain" - I've lost count of how many times I've reused the slurry now, but it's certainly a lot.  👨‍🔬

29 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yep. Reusing yeast is a saving everyone should do IMO. I have WY1214 Chimay well over 20 reuses. It's mutated into something slightly different from the original which funnily enough I like better than the original. Had a WY2001 Budvar lager which I had over 20 resuses as well. It mutated into something I didn't like so got binned. Keep going till you get something you don't like I say..

I have only gone as far as 3 times for both US-05 and various lager strains. With the lager yeasts I noticed I was getting more Sulphur by the 3rd go to the point where it was too strong. Although one euro lager I aged beyond 3 months in keg before I guts it all down I noticed it had faded and also blended in. This ended up being my favorite brew so far with Bohemian Pilsner yeast and is on the list again after my next few brews.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Have you tried drying kveik out and reusing BS ?

No, sounds like too much work!   😜

And really, in my case there's no need.  I just keep a jar of slurry in the fridge - minimal effort!  I'm brewing at least once a month so it get's used pretty quickly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Yeah not surprised. Especially when they would be able to sterilise and what not. They could keep the strain much more pure than us homebrewers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

I have only gone as far as 3 times for both US-05 and various lager strains. With the lager yeasts I noticed I was getting more Sulphur by the 3rd go to the point where it was too strong. Although one euro lager I aged beyond 3 months in keg before I guts it all down I noticed it had faded and also blended in. This ended up being my favorite brew so far with Bohemian Pilsner yeast and is on the list again after my next few brews.

Lager yeasts always throw a little sulphur in my experience but there are ways to mitigate and almost eliminate it. The best way I have found is to massively overpitch. Part of the reason for the sulphur is a less rigorous ferment compared to an ale yeast. But I have had less than a week lager ferments from full slurry repitches or dumping the wort on top of the previous batches yeast cake. I always find the 2nd and 3rd batches are better than the 1st one with a 3L starter when it comes to sulphur.

Edited by Greenyinthewestofsydney
  • Like 2

@Greenyinthewestofsydney without knowing exactly I have always thought I was massively overpitching with the slurry. It takes off like a rocket and even at 11 or 12 degrees ferments fully in 3 to 4 days from pitching.  I think the taste is also better but have just noticed a bit more Sulphur by the 3rd use. Regardless of if I get this next time I'm going to push through with re using beyond the normal 3 as I have discovered proper aging allows it to blend in nice. I usually pitch 3x 500 g pasta jars of slurry which is about 3/4 of the slurry in the bottom. Maybe once I will try the whole thing and see if I can notice the difference. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Greenyinthewestofsydney without knowing exactly I have always thought I was massively overpitching with the slurry. It takes off like a rocket and even at 11 or 12 degrees ferments fully in 3 to 4 days from pitching.  I think the taste is also better but have just noticed a bit more Sulphur by the 3rd use. Regardless of if I get this next time I'm going to push through with re using beyond the normal 3 as I have discovered proper aging allows it to blend in nice. I usually pitch 3x 500 g pasta jars of slurry which is about 3/4 of the slurry in the bottom. Maybe once I will try the whole thing and see if I can notice the difference. 

@jamiek86, I've been doing same. Takes off like a rocket (US-05) Completely different to a dry pack of the same. I normally brew two FV's at a time and collect about 2/3s of a 500-600ml jar from each vessel. Been pitching this latest lot of slurry for the last 5 brews and shows no sign of letting up. I haven't detected any noticeable change to the brews at least for me. It's the greatest gift of all this yeast slurry thingy, just keeps giving. 🍻😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

Sounds good. Do you wash the yeast at any point then continue using.

No, I've never bothered with washing.  Seems like an unnecesasry process - particularly if you intend resuing the yeast slurry fairly soon after scooping it out from the FV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Mickep I have been doing 2 jars for the US 05 probably too much but didn't want under do it

@jamiek86, That's about what I'm doing TBH. The airtight jars I have are actually one liter not 500ml...and they're almost full. One for each FV....is this overpitching? Not sure, but it certainly works for me. Roars through to FG in about 5 days or so at 18 degrees C. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mickep said:

@jamiek86, That's about what I'm doing TBH. The airtight jars I have are actually one liter not 500ml...and they're almost full. One for each FV....is this overpitching? Not sure, but it certainly works for me. Roars through to FG in about 5 days or so at 18 degrees C. 

the way I see it people back fill brews on whole slurry. If my 2 jars or your one big is about half of the slurry we are at the sweet spot I reckon.

• Like 2