Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

On 2/17/2021 at 6:36 PM, Pale Man said:

No secret. A simple recipe I threw together. 

4 kilo of Gladfield Pilsner Malt. 

1 kilo of Gladfield Toffee Malt.

Around 45 grams of Hallertauer Mitellfrueh @ 50 minutes. Depends on how much bitterness you want.

35 grams of Hallertauer Mitellfrueh @ 20 minutes. You can whirlpool or dry hop if you want. I didn't. 

2 packs of Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast.

Fermented @ 12 degrees. I diaceytal rested for two days @ 18 degrees. Cold crashed.

@Hoppy81 challenged me to lager in the keg for two months but that aint happening this time around. 

Big thanks PM, you are further down the AG path than me so appreciate your input very much. 👍

I have put an order in for some Toffee malt and some Diamond Lager yeast (plus lots of other stuff).  Already have plenty of the Hallertauer hops so all good there.

Do you do anything special with your "WHY" water to get a particular profile for this baby?  My winter lager season plan is to use all RO water and build it up with additions and get some cracker Pilsners happening and other lagers for drinking next spring / summer.  That's if I can hold back that long with them in the kegs / bottles.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 7:34 PM, Graubart said:

Weyermann Pilsner Malt is also a great starting point -- together w Htau mittelfrüh -- n Dubbya 34 ; )

Hey GB, already got a big bag of Aus BB Pilsner Malt so will run with that ATM.  And besides I own shares in United Malt Group (UMG) so gotta support the locals as their share price dived last week (along with a lot of others) and they need a good propping up.  I also have several packets of the Dubbya 34 and have had very good results with this yeast in last winter's lager season but those Diamond Lager buggers look good too so will toss some of those and see for myself.  Thanks mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, John E Miller said:

Would you care to share the recipe? 

Here it is, copied from the brew day thread  😉

Morillo Light Amber Ale

• 2.40 kg Gladfield Ale Malt 
  • 0.40 kg Gladfield Aurora Malt 
  • 0.20 kg Gladfield Red Back Malt 
  • 0.20 kg Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt 
  • 0.05 kg Gladfield Roasted Wheat 
  • 25g Mosaic- Boil 20.0 min
  • 25g Amarillo - Boil 10.0 min
  • 25g Mosaic  - Boil 5.0 min
  • 25g Amarillo  - Steep 20.0 min
  • Kveik Voss

It's actually a recipe that's derived from one of my favourite own brews "Amberillo".    That original amber was a full-bodied 5% partial-mash,  same grain bill as this but with the addition of 1.2kg LME.  Also, it was bittered with Green bullet with 100g Amerillo as late additions.  Now that was a VERY nice beer! (mind you I tend to say that about any beer that has a good amount of amerillo in it!). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Do you do anything special with your "WHY" water to get a particular profile for this baby?  

I'm still on the green side when it comes to water treatment. Hoppy gave me the water profile for our town and i tap it into BrewFather and it lets me know what to add.

One thing ive started doing is boiling my brew water a day before with half a tablet of campden to remove chlorides, which is in our water. May be over kill but i dont want any traces of that stuff in my beer.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 7:15 PM, John E Miller said:

Big, bold American Stout...

Pale malt, Munich, crystal, chocolate, roasted barley, flaked barley, magnum and cascade hops, fermented with kveik. 

Really harsh at first tasting, but rounding out to a beautifully complex drink. 

20210219_164020.jpg

Bloody Yum!!!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 6:37 AM, John E Miller said:

Is that Coopers'? Looks paler 

No mate, a Munton's Gold Old English bitter. I've followed their recommendation and tried it at cellar temperature (13°).  Not bad in winter time. I think my gusher came from the cellar warming up a bit here from 13° to about 16°

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Got the Saison on the pour. Pretty yum. Lots of complexity in this one. Nice n dry. Slightly tart. Yeasty on the back end. 

Verrrrreh Verreh Naaaaars Mitchie Brewmaster : )

.... for those brave enough to conquer the world of the Saison 😋

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

it also looks pretty strong as the  glass is flexing his muscles  🤣

yes its a good glass for that style of beer Lager/pilsner probably is more of pilsner I added some bitterness with hop tea. Half hops in boil for how ever long then turn heat off for long flavour steep for other half.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@CLASSIC it's actually really good better every week hop tea blends in that little bit more. I was saving it for my kids birthday party Saturday night but since half the drinkers pulled out. Well I guess I can afford to drain the keg a bit more before then.

you was going to serve up to a kids birthday party..   

hmmm not sure i would wanna see my kid blotto  when i came to pick them up

i guess you have good friends to allow kids to drink   🤣

yes i know it was meant for the adults

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

it's actually really good better every week hop tea blends in that little bit more. I was saving it for my kids birthday party Saturday night but since half the drinkers pulled out. Well I guess I can afford to drain the keg a bit more before then.

@JAMIEK86 You can always savor your brew at any pace you want to, after all you created it & of course you can not afford it to go to waste. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

But I did not have the view.

Goodness me @stquinto I am gunna hafta work very very hard to try to catch up to that sort of beautiful Beerography !?!  ... after Easter.

(Beerography = Beer Photography.... happy with that definition  @MitchBastard Mitchie?)

Am with @John E Miller John on this one.... WTF are you !?!  Great photo - and what style and where is the Wurst/Salami from? 😀

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2