Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Tried my Saison today I am now a big fan. Delicious so much flavour even though it was such a simple Pilsner and East Kent Golding. I also used gelatine for fining it is crystal clear with no fluffy bottoms. So happy with this. I fermented at 22 degrees then upped to 26 to finish off. Only been in the bottle since Sunday would like to age it a bit more but might struggle🤣

B93195C3-F7BC-4783-8A68-0D4B696F72A2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Tried my Saison today I am now a big fan. Delicious so much flavour even though it was such a simple Pilsner and East Kent Golding. I also used gelatine for fining it is crystal clear with no fluffy bottoms. So happy with this. I fermented at 22 degrees then upped to 26 to finish off. Only been in the bottle since Sunday would like to age it a bit more but might struggle🤣

I was too busy looking at the garnish to notice the beer.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Love or hate. Your in the first like me. Great beers especially in the warmer weather

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Inspired by the wonderful background images usually displayed by our mate, @Graubart, I've done my own scenic beer photo.

This is an Australian Pale Ale that I added Cluster hops but I cold steeped for the first time. I don't have any hot steeped versions on hand so I'm not sure there's much difference between the two. It tastes pretty good. Possibly not as bitter as hot steeped but I dunno.

The background scenery is my Windows wallpaper. 😁

IMG_20210306_005828.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Inspired by the wonderful background images usually displayed by our mate, @Graubart, I've done my own scenic beer photo.

This is an Australian Pale Ale that I added Cluster hops but I cold steeped for the first time. I don't have any hot steeped versions on hand so I'm not sure there's much difference between the two. It tastes pretty good. Possibly not as bitter as hot steeped but I dunno.

The background scenery is my Windows wallpaper. 😁

IMG_20210306_005828.jpg

@MUZZY  Your Pale Ale looks nice, I did a Coopers Aus PAle Ale 1 month ago using Pride of Ringwood, although I am stoked about the colour, taste etc I am envious of your lovely creamy head - the beer I mean. How long has that been in the bottle ? Regarding the background, I would have said you are holidaying in Austria. 😄

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I was too busy looking at the garnish to notice the beer.

Might want to reassess your priorities or join a garden forum if that’s what your drawn to, could I suggest 🤔 greenfingers.com 🤣

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Love or hate. Your in the first like me. Great beers especially in the warmer weather

Thanks it’s a nice beer and thanks for your input earlier when I was deciding how to go about it. I can’t believe how much flavour for such a simple beer cheers 🍻 

14 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

@MUZZY  Your Pale Ale looks nice, I did a Coopers Aus PAle Ale 1 month ago using Pride of Ringwood, although I am stoked about the colour, taste etc I am envious of your lovely creamy head - the beer I mean. How long has that been in the bottle ? Regarding the background, I would have said you are holidaying in Austria. 😄

Hi Phil.
I used BE2 and added Cluster hops and it was bottled on 29/01/21. I did have to work the pour a little to get it foaming like that but it did retain ok once poured.

• Like 3

Coopers 2020 Vintage Ale - Side by side taste test.  FV in the background is the Bright Ideas Hazy XPA that I just kegged and bottled.

Colour difference is obvious.  The HB version is not black though.  More of a dark ruby.

Coops Commercial version:

• Aroma of wood and pine (hang on, aren't these are the same)
  • Smooth flavour
  • High lingering bitterness
  • Strong malty flavour

HB version:

• Less wood, more fruit aroma
  • Smoother to drink
  • Not as bitter, but equally strong malt flavour

IMG_2296.JPG.55714584f3c206cef9cfeb49f4caa460.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Chubby Cherub - Well my version because I did not have the Chinook hops that I thought I did.  Used Centennial instead.  Also only had 12g of Mosaic left, so added that to the 25g of Centennial dry hop.

For the benefit of @Ally1525230277 I am doing a side by side taste test of a glass of this from a bottle (Left) and another glass from the keg (Right).

• Identical hop aromas - Pine, earthy, subtle fruit
  • Identical mild bitterness
  • Both equally flavoursome
  • Keg versus bottle, for this brew anyway - Identical.

Keg was primed with 100g of sugar a month ago  Cooled overnight.  Ready to drink today.

Natural colour:

IMG_2299.thumb.JPG.2330205409fc8ba7d1106d0a30f0f53b.JPG

Enhanced colour:

IMG_2302.thumb.JPG.bb13440d2c7a48bfab0ad5513353732d.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bottled my Capital Pils today. Have to wait a while for a photo of the beer though.

If that isn’t 64 reasons to be cheerful, I don’t know what is (I know, my wife says I’m shallow, but I can do shallow...)

Anyway, I reckon I’m preaching to the converted on that one 🤣

42256667-F3FC-44D3-8948-682081DAD01A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers 2020 Vintage Ale - Side by side taste test.  FV in the background is the Bright Ideas Hazy XPA that I just kegged and bottled.

Colour difference is obvious.  The HB version is not black though.  More of a dark ruby.

Coops Commercial version:

• Aroma of wood and pine (hang on, aren't these are the same)
  • Smooth flavour
  • High lingering bitterness
  • Strong malty flavour

HB version:

• Less wood, more fruit aroma
  • Smoother to drink
  • Not as bitter, but equally strong malt flavour

IMG_2296.JPG.55714584f3c206cef9cfeb49f4caa460.JPG

I’ve got a 2020 Vintage maturing at the moment. So far I’m pretty happy with it. Good and dark, and the hops are gently getting absorbed, and giving it more complexity. Not much head on it mind, but certainly a keeper

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I did have to work the pour a little to get it foaming like that but it did retain ok once poured.

Muzzler mate have you ever tried adding a can of Coopers Liquid Yeast Malt to any of your brews?  Does pretty good things re head-heat retention-mouthfeel... worth a try but mate you may have done so already...  Cheers

10 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Muzzler mate have you ever tried adding a can of Coopers Liquid Yeast Malt to any of your brews?  Does pretty good things re head-heat retention-mouthfeel... worth a try but mate you may have done so already...  Cheers

Just sneaking in here @Graubart  &  @MUZZY    adding a can of Coopers Liquid Yeast Malt to any of your brews?  Does pretty good things re head-heat retention-mouthfeel

I have heard it is better to use this instead of LDM. If so I will try it. Cheers.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Yeah mate. I use liquid malt quite often but with ales like Brew A, Dark Ale and Innkeepers Daughter. I use BE2 with APA and Canadian Blonde. I have a less malty preference for those particular tins.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Just sneaking in here @Graubart  &  @MUZZY    adding a can of Coopers Liquid Yeast Malt to any of your brews?  Does pretty good things re head-heat retention-mouthfeel

I have heard it is better to use this instead of LDM. If so I will try it. Cheers.

I don't know if it's better but I found it better economically. They say 1.5kg liquid equates to 1.2kg dry malt. Through Coopers store 1.5kg liquid is $10.80. Dry malt is $16.20 per kg.

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I don't know if it's better but I found it better economically. They say 1.5kg liquid equates to 1.2kg dry malt. Through Coopers store 1.5kg liquid is $10.80. Dry malt is $16.20 per kg.

Well that says it all. I have always used boxes of Coopers bur I will try LDM on my next brew, Cheers.

**** FKKK sorry Brewers - what I meant to say was a tin of liquid WHEAT malt (not fkkkk Yeast Malt fkkkk) 

🗯️

Apologies for clumsy mind and clumsy typing fingers and hope no confusion caused.... seem not to have you blokes are too smart for that.

Yeah WHEAT liquid malt seems to add the good head/retention/creamy mouthfeel.

And I do think Liquid is better than dry re beer outcomes (not cost benefit re ABV etc that's a different matter)

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 2