Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

A little tasting paddle of a selection of Coopers Craft recipes..."The Hoff" Hefe, "Camilla's Folly" ESB, a hopped-up, bastardised version of the "Wort Hog" Pale with extra hops in the boil,  dry hop and a hop tea added for good measure, plus some lactose chucked in to give it a bit more body and balance (this one is bloody fantastic even if I do say so myself!) and the "Gila Moster" Black IPA, which just gets better week by week in the bottle.  And the paddle is homemade too! All in all, as you can see from my face, I was a very proud boy!

Screenshot 2021-03-15 130606.jpg

• Like 17

51 minutes ago, RDW said:

A little tasting paddle of a selection of Coopers Craft recipes..."The Hoff" Hefe, "Camilla's Folly" ESB, a hopped-up, bastardised version of the "Wort Hog" Pale with extra hops in the boil,  dry hop and a hop tea added for good measure, plus some lactose chucked in to give it a bit more body and balance (this one is bloody fantastic even if I do say so myself!) and the "Gila Moster" Black IPA, which just gets better week by week in the bottle.  And the paddle is homemade too! All in all, as you can see from my face, I was a very proud boy!

Well Done @RDW  they all look good, very impressive, look like they taste OK too, Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDW said:

mate the smile says it all  

looks like you have some good head with them brews  

like your paddle

• Like 2

Passionfruit and peach cider by mangrove jacks. I actually messed up this quick pouch and kilo by adding the entire packet of sweetener. I prefer half a pack to 1/4 a pack but I wasn't really paying attention and dumped it all in 🤷‍♂️. I was trying to show off how quick it is to make, like 10 minutes all up and forgot my own advice, such a Muppet (a little Aussie slang there).

It is very sweet, like a rekordlik cider but the peach is coming through well. 3 out of 5 because it is sweet as.

20210315_165638.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2021 at 8:19 AM, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah on my honeymoon my wife was tired from the travelling, she had a sleep and I went for a walk and found a bar, when she called me a few hrs later & I was rat a#sed from drinking that stuff with some locals, was a good night from what I remember 😂😂

Been there, got the T shirt 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RDW said:

All look good there mate - I see you've got a Timothy Taylor's Landlord beer mat behind you.  Now that would be a beer to clone...

• Like 1

Had the Australian lager on gas for about a week now after an initial force carbing. This is the first pour. This is the beer for the home brew comp next Saturday at a local brewery. Am I happy with it? Yeah, it’s what it’s meant to be and it will have had 3 weeks cold conditioning before being served. Is it the best version of this beer I’ve made? Probably not, but maybe I’m being picky. Hopefully amongst a few other more adventurous beers, a simple classic may stand out. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Had the Australian lager on gas for about a week now after an initial force carbing. This is the first pour. This is the beer for the home brew comp next Saturday at a local brewery. Am I happy with it? Yeah, it’s what it’s meant to be and it will have had 3 weeks cold conditioning before being served. Is it the best version of this beer I’ve made? Probably not, but maybe I’m being picky. Hopefully amongst a few other more adventurous beers, a simple classic may stand out. 

I cannot see the video but back yourself Mate, I am sure it will be a class act, good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saison: 80% pale malt, 20% wheat, 21 IBU Magnum hops, Lallemand Belle yeast. Fermented at 34°C from 1.040 down to 1.001 FG.

@DeviantLogic update if you are interested:

I am not crazy about this. Not bad, but I am not sold on the style. I have only tried a Bridge Road Brewers saison to compare, but that was quite similar. 

This is very dry and tart, and I would call it refreshing except there is a strange bitterness that I am not used to and don't know where it comes from. To me it is a very similar yeast character to a hefeweizen 

Edit: Then again, I think I enjoyed this more the last few times I have sampled it. Maybe my palate is in a bad mood tonight.

Screenshot_20210317-202921_BrewTracker.thumb.jpg.2239d773e505666ed53c4845c2960dd5.jpg

Edited by John E Miller
  • Like 8

Looks nice @John E Miller I’m often tinkering with my saison recipes in order to get one I’m really happy with. A simple beer like a saison can be hard to dial in. I’m a big fan of the style, so always like to have one on tap at home. I’ve found the belle saison yeast is good but it needs a bit of help in terms of really drawing out its potential. Some coriander, pepper and orange peel bitter can help with that. Also, I’d try to ferment it slightly cooler, ive found the sweet spot is about 25 for that yeast...just a suggestion. 

although the bridge road chevalier saison isn’t bad, is not the best representation of the style. Hunt down a Saison DuPont  or anything from Belgium in the farmhouse category. They’re worlds apart and certainly worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John E Miller said:

Saison: 80% pale malt, 20% wheat, 21 IBU Magnum hops, Lallemand Belle yeast. Fermented at 34°C from 1.040 down to 1.001 FG.

@DeviantLogic update if you are interested:

I am not crazy about this. Not bad, but I am not sold on the style. I have only tried a Bridge Road Brewers saison to compare, but that was quite similar. 

This is very dry and tart, and I would call it refreshing except there is a strange bitterness that I am not used to and don't know where it comes from. To me it is a very similar yeast character to a hefeweizen 

Edit: Then again, I think I enjoyed this more the last few times I have sampled it. Maybe my palate is in a bad mood tonight.

Screenshot_20210317-202921_BrewTracker.thumb.jpg.2239d773e505666ed53c4845c2960dd5.jpg

The beer looks great in the glass! I really enjoyed Bridge Road Brewers saison when I had it, if mine had come out tasting like theirs I would have been very happy. 🙂

It's funny, my experience with brewing saison was somewhat similar to yours. I really enjoyed it when I first tried it, but after drinking most of it I am actually a bit over it. I'm honestly not sure if the beer was better young, or whether it's just not something I can drink a lot of.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John E Miller said:

This is very dry and tart, and I would call it refreshing except there is a strange bitterness that I am not used to and don't know where it comes from

Perhaps a combination of the Magnum and the dryness. I prefer to use a hop with flavour for beers made with a Saison yeast.

• Like 1