Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nice looking beer.  However, I am getting a bit sick of these beer in a glass with a fake background photos.  I thought I joined a beer brewing forum.

Ha Ha.. that's live in my backyard,  no fake shot there

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers 2020 Vintage Ale - Side by side taste test.  FV in the background is the Bright Ideas Hazy XPA that I just kegged and bottled.

Colour difference is obvious.  The HB version is not black though.  More of a dark ruby.

Coops Commercial version:

• Aroma of wood and pine (hang on, aren't these are the same)
  • Smooth flavour
  • High lingering bitterness
  • Strong malty flavour

HB version:

• Less wood, more fruit aroma
  • Smoother to drink
  • Not as bitter, but equally strong malt flavour

IMG_2296.JPG.55714584f3c206cef9cfeb49f4caa460.JPG

Old CUB long neck. You legend you. 😍

On 3/6/2021 at 1:43 PM, RDT2 said:

Might want to reassess your priorities or join a garden forum if that’s what your drawn to, could I suggest 🤔 greenfingers.com 🤣

Just joking brother. Im damn sure thats a tasty beer.

7 minutes ago, Norris! said:

You have an awesome backyard!

Growing hops has been interesting. Cascade has been a stand out for me.

Most disappointing has been the Victoria.  Downsized from 6 to 3 and looking to try Centennial and Columbus next year. 

Maybe I should expand to finger limes and sell them lol.. $40 a kg. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Maurice79 said:

Growing hops has been interesting. Cascade has been a stand out for me.

Most disappointing has been the Victoria.  Downsized from 6 to 3 and looking to try Centennial and Columbus next year. 

Maybe I should expand to finger limes and sell them lol.. $40 a kg. 

Centennial is one of my favorite hops, top 5 for sure. Columbus gets high marks in my books also for its clean bittering and citrus/grapefruit flavour from late additions and dry hop.

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Old CUB long neck. You legend you. 😍

I am not sure how old it is.  Shows a fair bit of use - line ground off around the shoulder and at the base.  It is around 530g empty.  I have about a dozen of them.  I got them secondhand.  I also have one that is over 600g.  The Coopers tallies are only about 500g.  Soft.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Just joking brother. Im damn sure thats a tasty beer.

All good me2 👍 it’s an awesome beer imo for such a simple grain bill!

Edited by RDT2

I wonder close I can get to this Dunkel with  Extract/Partial/Hop addition - there are a few clone recipes about but might be pushing the envelope !  I would be interested to see your opinions, do any of you guru's know if a Schofferhofer Hefweizen would be close ? There are a few wet kits available but I might be making extra work & stepping out of my comfort zone.

Cheers

Phil

20210308_144252.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I wonder close I can get to this Dunkel with  Extract/Partial/Hop addition - there are a few clone recipes about but might be pushing the envelope !  I would be interested to see your opinions, do any of you guru's know if a Schofferhofer Hefweizen would be close ? There are a few wet kits available but I might be making extra work & stepping out of my comfort zone.

Cheers

Phil

20210308_144252.jpg

I can try and help here, looking to make one soon. Gully here

34 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Gully,

How's things ? 🍻

Great, loved the weekend away. How's the rabbit?

Yeah I'm looking to brew a mild ale, scotch ale and hefe in the coming months. Ill brew a few litres more on each brew and drop a wort pack off to you

2 hours ago, Marksmans Gift said:

Great, loved the weekend away. How's the rabbit?

Yeah I'm looking to brew a mild ale, scotch ale and hefe in the coming months. Ill brew a few litres more on each brew and drop a wort pack off to you

Lots of Rabbits, freezer full, brewing big time, trying to store the grog longer to improve but keep tasting. I need to buy a few cartons & slow down.🍻

• Like 1

It is nice & clear, since I have been using finings some of mine resemble your colour but you seem to pay for it in head retention, I remember some earlier brews although hazy for some they had nice lacing all down the glass & froth until the last drop. I guess there is a lot to be said about cellaring your grog.

On 3/7/2021 at 11:29 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

The Coopers tallies are only about 500g

Now now don't be like that @Shamus O'Sean Shamus! 😝

You need to rephrase that and write:

The NEW Coopers tallies are only about 500g ; )

The ol' Pickaxe Beauts are up in the 560s... and were the heaviest of the Australian 750ml bottles until Coopers enlisted in an Australian Packaging Campaign to reduce packaging and cut their bottles weight down as their contribution to the campaign... or so I was advised by a Coopers Help person via phone a few years ago... 

Interestingly - I think that the cardboard cartons must've also undergone a reduction in packaging effort too - as the more recent Carton from Carton of Coopers Largies - are absolutely dreadful and useless - the old cartons were good to store beers in - the new ones are thin, floppy, unstable and dire.  But do use less cardboard resources I guess.

image.thumb.png.ee85dc634f7e52640fb3e559e64e8406.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Schofferhofer Hefweizen would be close ?

Schöfferhofer is from Frankfurt, not from Bavaria, and is considered by myself and Weissbier Guru @Aussiekraut to be a disgrace and not to be countenanced:

SCHÖFFERHOFER WEIZENBIER GMBH Ein Unternehmen der Radeberger Gruppe Darmstädter Landstraße 185 60598 Frankfurt am Main Telefon: 069 – 6065...

But as usual... it's all about personal choice now isn't it you old Pirate Graubart!?!

Edited by Graubart

10 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Schöfferhofer is from Frankfurt, not from Bavaria, and is considered by myself and Weissbier Guru @Aussiekraut to be a disgrace and not to be countenanced:

SCHÖFFERHOFER WEIZENBIER GMBH Ein Unternehmen der Radeberger Gruppe Darmstädter Landstraße 185 60598 Frankfurt am Main Telefon: 069 – 6065...

But as usual... it's all about personal choice now isn't it you old Pirate Graubart!?!

Fair enough @Graubart   good to know from the bad ship Graubart, I was mildly curious, you guys would know. Not sure if this pic resembles you but I reckon it would be close. 🤣

3211483_0.png

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I would be interested to see your opinions, do any of you guru's know if a Schofferhofer Hefweizen would be close ? There are a few wet kits available but I might be making extra work & stepping out of my comfort zone.

It's not a Bavarian - but @CLASSICPhil - it might still make an ok beer - but if you want Dunkel - it would have to be a Dunkel Kit - are you talking the Fresh Wort Kits that come in those Cubes mate?

The thing is hey - it is all about personal taste preferences - and there are those that like Schöfferhofer - I don't prefer it.... but who knows... maybe it could make a nice beer for you... 

I mean there are those in the World that love Sours and Saisons hey !?! 😋

Edited by Graubart