Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Just put together the Country Brewer Lager & other adjuncts to clone a Carlton Draught, this time I am adding a Hop Tea later in the fermentation process as advised & noticed by other members, I have the Tettnanger x 12gm & was thinking as I started with a SG of 1040 maybe once the airlock has stopped its work or about day 7-8 or so might whack it in or do you reckon that's too late.

I have in the past put it in at the start. Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers.

German Style Euro Lager K &K 

1 x Coopers European Lager

750g BE1 ( needed to get rid of it )
65g Tettnang Hops

Saflager W34-70 Yeast

2 Weeks in Fermzilla 

1 week fermenting/dry hop@12 degrees

1 week CC

Simple brew to throw down & nice & refreshing on a hot day.

9879C2F7-254E-4835-AA15-970D112689D7.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

German Style Euro Lager K &K 

1 x Coopers European Lager

750g BE1 ( needed to get rid of it )
65g Tettnang Hops

Saflager W34-70 Yeast

2 Weeks in Fermzilla 

1 week fermenting/dry hop@12 degrees

1 week CC

Simple brew to throw down & nice & refreshing on a hot day.

9879C2F7-254E-4835-AA15-970D112689D7.jpeg

But the glass still tastes like sh1t. LOL

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I wish. Melbourne the No Summer State.  Draught beer with a nice dry hop Vic Seret.

Beer and BG.jpg

Oh dear! Is everybody now using Windows wallpaper as backdrops? I'm sorry I started this craze. I feel like the DH that invented planking/duck pout/tongue poked out photos etc.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I wish. Melbourne the No Summer State.  Draught beer with a nice dry hop Vic Seret.

Beer and BG.jpg

By the way, Mickep. I've loved the milder summer La Nina has brought us this year. I've had a gutful of SA dry, hot and unbearable summers.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

Oh dear! Is everybody now using Windows wallpaper as backdrops? I'm sorry I started this craze. I feel like the DH that invented planking/duck pout/tongue poked out photos etc.

Muzza you seem to like to set the trend mate. First there was the Muzzy method and now this....certainly taken the pics of the beers here to a whole new level mate.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

I can cop that @MUZZY, just don’t tell me you support Man City 🤣🤣

Hahaha Red. In all honesty I don't follow soccer at all. I just saw an opportunity to take the p155. BTW, I know it's called football but I do follow Australian Rules but I'm gradually easing away from AFL. My team, Essendon, have been crap for 20 years and the AFL rule changes every year are slowly diminishing my interest in what was once a great game. I still like to watch Australian Rules as opposed to AFL.

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Just put together the Country Brewer Lager & other adjuncts to clone a Carlton Draught, this time I am adding a Hop Tea later in the fermentation process as advised & noticed by other members, I have the Tettnanger x 12gm & was thinking as I started with a SG of 1040 maybe once the airlock has stopped its work or about day 7-8 or so might whack it in or do you reckon that's too late.

Cheers.

Hey @CLASSIC man. I have been told that when adding hops late to do it when fermentation is almost (but not quite) done. So when the airlock has slowed right down , that’s when I add the dry hops, or in your case a hop tea. That seems to work well for me, though I do notice that the hops fade over time - I bottle in glass longuns...

the reason I was given for this timing was 

1) if you goo too early while fermentation is still vigorous the hop oils will end up escaping out of the airlock, 

2) when you add hops late, you remove the lid and introduce oxygen by dropping in the hops (a small amount I imagine). So you want some fermentation to continue to use up that oxygen. 

Im in no way an expert, but my LHBS suggested this timing so I’ve stuck with that and it seems to go ok for me.  
I hope that helps. Cheers brother 👍🍻

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Hahaha Red. In all honesty I don't follow soccer at all. I just saw an opportunity to take the p155. BTW, I know it's called football but I do follow Australian Rules but I'm gradually easing away from AFL. My team, Essendon, have been crap for 20 years and the AFL rule changes every year are slowly diminishing my interest in what was once a great game. I still like to watch Australian Rules as opposed to AFL.

All good mate, don’t really follow Aussie Rules as I live in Rugby League heartland, but most other sports I follow though, except for Cave Cycling 😂😂

Although I heard they are playing an Origin game in Adelaide 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

All good mate, don’t really follow Aussie Rules as I live in Rugby League heartland, but most other sports I follow though, except for Cave Cycling 😂😂

Although I heard they are playing an Origin game in Adelaide 

Yeah I believe they are playing a SOO League game here. A lot of people here are into it but I don't understand the marketing of playing in SA.
We've all seen the minimal impact of having the Swans and GWS playing AFL in Sydney, the most populated city in Australia. I have my doubts Rugby League will have much "take up" impact in Aussie Rules loving SA.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hey @CLASSIC man. I have been told that when adding hops late to do it when fermentation is almost (but not quite) done. So when the airlock has slowed right down , that’s when I add the dry hops, or in your case a hop tea. That seems to work well for me, though I do notice that the hops fade over time - I bottle in glass longuns...

the reason I was given for this timing was 

1) if you goo too early while fermentation is still vigorous the hop oils will end up escaping out of the airlock, 

2) when you add hops late, you remove the lid and introduce oxygen by dropping in the hops (a small amount I imagine). So you want some fermentation to continue to use up that oxygen. 

Im in no way an expert, but my LHBS suggested this timing so I’ve stuck with that and it seems to go ok for me.  
I hope that helps. Cheers brother 👍🍻

Interesting, I have a 12gm pack of Tettnanger so I guess I have no choice now other than do a hop tea when the action has ceased. Next time I will try dry hopping, some of our members mentioned you get a better boost from this method. Cheers for that.

Been a while, but thought I'd start getting involved again. 

A over complicated blonde ale, using home-grown hops (Chinook and Victoria) at FO and Columbus for bittering.

Very on point beer, could do without the complicated grist though, great malt character with hints of fruity flavours.

20210306_170407.jpg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Norris! said:

20210307_203755.thumb.jpg.1b61f15d6e3a8de0e177e65561e66bb6.jpgI am drinking a SMATH, pilsner malt and triple hopped, citra, galaxy and amarillo, no boil to around 30ish-35ish IBUS. Great aroma and flavour, citrus dank heaven. 7g/L dry hop and Voss at 35c.

No boil? this is new to me. Please expand!! very interested as I find my Voss beers very meh as of late

16 minutes ago, Marksmans Gift said:

No boil? this is new to me. Please expand!! very interested as I find my Voss beers very meh as of late

It just means I added the hops after the boil, so nothing before 60 minutes all below boiling temps to preserve more aromatics and flavour compounds as those are lost the longer they are boiled and above certain temperatures. I tossed these into the cube and the hot wort on top when it was at 82c. 25g of citra and Amarillo and 15g of galaxy gave me around 30-38IBUs by taste and software.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Cheers.

I would add it once the airlock slows down or when the SG drops below 1.020.

• Like 2