Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I do like an good Pilsner when they come together well.  So far only done K&K batches and cannot wait to test my AG skills on some of these soon.

Looked through brew day what ya got thread and nothing posted re your recipe, 😪.  Would you care to share or is it a @Hoppy81-carnation and he would kill you if you did?

No secret. A simple recipe I threw together. 

4 kilo of Gladfield Pilsner Malt. 

1 kilo of Gladfield Toffee Malt.

Around 45 grams of Hallertauer Mitellfrueh @ 50 minutes. Depends on how much bitterness you want.

35 grams of Hallertauer Mitellfrueh @ 20 minutes. You can whirlpool or dry hop if you want. I didn't. 

2 packs of Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast.

Fermented @ 12 degrees. I diaceytal rested for two days @ 18 degrees. Cold crashed.

@Hoppy81 challenged me to lager in the keg for two months but that aint happening this time around. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Could you do one with Hersbrucker @Graubart oh great bearded one ?

ive got some in the fridge (100g) but haven’t used it before. 

TB mate I reckon that would be just fine... you can match and mix all sorts of hops and malt - but Hersbrucker lies within that German Noble Hop group so would be fine to sub w Htau Mittelfrüh in my way of thinking.... anyone else got any other ideas?  I think generally that Hersbrucker and Hallertau Mittlefrüh and say Perle are all pretty good for that Lager-Pilsner thing... I have made a cracking Galaxy Smash Pils... but as my learned brewing colleague @Otto Von Blotto OVB noted, beware of the long boil on Galaxy as it can make things very bitter.... and he was right.  Fortunately I had not used overly too much and it came out crisp and refreshing.  That is just to go as an example that you can mix and match hops and try different combos... as Galaxy does not belong in the "Noble Hop" group... enough blithering on... HTH.... in summary... yeah go for it - Hbrucker I reckon should make a lovely Pilsener in same way that Htau Mit does... ; )

Best try - and see if it fits in your own flavour profile : )

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

difference between these hops and hallertau traditional? 

Hallertau is an area in Bayern where they grow lots of hops...  so although Mittelfrüh... "middle early"... is one variety...  it prolly is one of the most common so in Aussie as everything gets shortened then it has become Hallertau...  below from Wikipedia:

The Hallertau or Holledau is an area in Bavaria, Germany. With an area of 178 km², it is listed as the largest continuous hop-planting area in the world.[1] According to the International Hop Growing Convention, Germany produces roughly one third of the world's hops (used as flavoring and stabilizers during beer brewing), over 80% of which are grown in the Hallertau.

@Tone boy TB - also it seems that Hersbrucker is probably closer than I thought...  as these beautiful plants unfortunately suffer from the evil Verticillium Wilt fungal disease... 

Random Web HB Reference: 

Hallertau Hersbrucker is a replacement for the Hallertau Mittelfrüh. It is more disease resistant than the Mittelfrüh. So, from brewing perspective they are probably the same. Growers will of course prefer the Hersbrucker.

• Like 3

@Graubart I had noticed it came with 3 different names just wasn't sure exactly how much flavour difference there was. My local only stick the traditional one as far as I know maby hursbrucker as well but not the one that intrigues me that they don't have. I currently have 5 brew cans 5 malt and crap loads of yeast and almost a kg of different hops im sure I'm set for a while.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Graubart I had noticed it came with 3 different names just wasn't sure exactly how much flavour difference there was. My local only stick the traditional one as far as I know maby hursbrucker as well but not the one that intrigues me that they don't have. I currently have 5 brew cans 5 malt and crap loads of yeast and almost a kg of different hops im sure I'm set for a while.

Yes mate I would work back through your inventory and put that new one on a list fer later ; )

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Yes mate I would work back through your inventory and put that new one on a list fer later ; )

yes ill be doing that I got 200 gram bags of crystal hops and froze.  Am I better off taking half out and putting in sandwich bags. Just wasn't sure if common to take out freezer use what want and put back in? Have noticed clump a bit out of fridge wasn't sure how would go frozen.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Just wasn't sure if common to take out freezer use what want and put back in? Have noticed clump a bit out of fridge wasn't sure how would go frozen.

That's what I always do with my hops. Frozen is good - you don't want them aging as they would in just the fridge. 

I sometimes get the clumping but a bit of a crush or whack the bag on the bench loosens things up.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Is it too early to sample a beer out of the fermenter? I'm ready to keg my Sparkling Ale Partial using Kviek yeast. It fermented out in 3 days. Bloody tasty even out of the FV. I better keg it before I drink it all.

20210219_083921.jpg

31 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Is it too early to sample a beer out of the fermenter? I'm ready to keg my Sparkling Ale Partial using Kviek yeast. It fermented out in 3 days. Bloody tasty even out of the FV. I better keg it before I drink it all.

Looks pretty nice @Pale Man  how long would you leave that in the FV before Keg/Bottle ? I have a mate who regularly drinks out of the FV even when he bottles what's left he knocks if off before it matures, I don't think he has ever had a decent beer !

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

20210219_083921.jpg

mate

just before i start to mill my grains i  have a chew on each malt i am using and then all together

my pre boil gravity i will have a sip or 2

after the boil   and i have a sample for  S.g   i'll drink whats left after  the reading

final gravity reading i wil  have a drink

i see nothing wrong in doing it as i find its great way to see how it is changing along the process

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Graubart said:

Great job mate!  So what would the flavour profile be compared to something bland like US05 - when using the Kveik and running at higher temps JEM?

Honestly I don't know! I'm very early on along the journey learning about different yeast profiles, and would need to do a side by side tasting to see the difference. Voss kveik is supposed to give citrus notes, but I also used a whole bunch of Cascade hops at flameout, so it's hard to tell where it is coming from, especially amongst the busy grainbill. 

I love a good simple beer, but this one is a lot of fun, trying to pick apart all the flavours coming at you... citrus, chocolate, coffee, caramel. It should keep me entertained for a while. 

Edited by John E Miller
  • Like 1