Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

7 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Well @CLASSIC and @kmar92, Here it is: My Coopers Australian IPA.  Did a side-by-side taste test with the commercial version.  I have already had a few sneaky glasses of mine.

Nice work Shamus, interesting observations, as I said earlier, I too will be doing this again. This will be a great drink for the Summer. Cheers.

1666024018_20210626_143912(2).thumb.jpg.ad90f0376378a4445a435a1b609a10e4.jpg

• Like 4

@CLASSIC close list the tassie part is wrong maby back at federation that was correct I grew up in tassie. Tassie pretty much same as vic call a 10 ounce a pot a scooner is a scooner and where pints are available is an imperial pint 570 ml. but yes most places still have the 6,7 and 8 ounce if ask for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@CLASSIC close list the tassie part is wrong maby back at federation that was correct I grew up in tassie. Tassie pretty much same as vic call a 10 ounce a pot a scooner is a scooner and where pints are available is an imperial pint 570 ml. but yes most places still have the 6,7 and 8 ounce if ask for it.

When I was in Adelaide a few years ago. I supposedly was drinking pints. The other half said boy your moving through those. 

They turned out to be 425mls not 570mls an Imperial pint.

We went down road and got a real pint.

In Tassie we got a proper pint same as Melbourne.

11 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

When I was in Adelaide a few years ago. I supposedly was drinking pints. The other half said boy your moving through those. 

They turned out to be 425mls not 570mls an Imperial pint.

We went down road and got a real pint.

In Tassie we got a proper pint same as Melbourne.

yes I just cant understand how can call a scooner a pint it's just simply not we were all settled by Britain and got these places doing wierd stuff 

I know Adelaide had large German settlers but just throws me out but I guess we are spread far and wide in this country.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

yes I just cant understand how can call a scooner a pint it's just simply not we were all settled by Britain and got these places doing wierd stuff 

I know Adelaide had large German settlers but just throws me out but I guess we are spread far and wide in this country.

The Germans would have brought their own glass sizes if any. 250ml, 500ml and 1l. The 333ml bottles came later. All those weird numbers like 285ml and 425ml and all are all based on x amount of floz in imperial measurements. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

The Germans would have brought their own glass sizes if any. 250ml, 500ml and 1l. The 333ml bottles came later. All those weird numbers like 285ml and 425ml and all are all based on x amount of floz in imperial measurements. 

A lot of Craft style Pubs/Breweries have their own branded glasses offering a few sizes, I have noticed some of the 250ml/350ml/450ml with varying prices & they charge what they want, however the 'standard' style Pub tends to confirm with the AHA guidelines & prices.

Personally I don't care what glasses are called anywhere as long as the pricing is fair & most important of all, the beer is good.  😃

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

your right a pint is double a pot so 20 Oz or there about the problem with imperial measurements is there is always a point of measurement in there somewhere that's rounded up or down.

14 hours ago, kmar92 said:

@Shamus O'Sean and @CLASSIC my version is beautiful. As with Shamus mine is full of tropical fruit aroma, a little bitter as I upped the bittering hops but the bitterness really compliments it. About the only drawback is that the body is a little lacking, no big deal though. Great beer and I will most certainly be doing it again.

Yes it is a fine beer, when I have an empty fermenter I am going to make another. I found mine ( extract version ) had plenty of body & the hops really compliment it.

Golden Lion -  first sampling of this partial mash brew based on a Lion Draught can (on sale).  I paired it up with Gladfield ale malt, a bit of wheat and some sour grapes.  And - 50g of Amarillio which I added as a post boil steep and then left in the FV throughout fermentation.   There's just ONE major issue with this beer... I can't get enough of it!  😋

GoldenLion_Aug2022.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

no pic only had small taste test of lager with m76 Bavarian lager yeast they not wrong it really brings out maltiness in the beer. I would have thought it meant that it finished higher but started 57 finished 14 @ 5.5% in keg. will be interesting do taste in few weeks when lagered longer it was nice and clear also. 

In this unfortunate and disgraceful terrible time of keg deficit the miscreant yet beneficial bottles yield... a lovely Stout - no not Coopers BES but GBB Mountain Stout ; )

[no this is not the same as the Rauchbier posted last even tho they are both dark beers from the archives haha]

So in keg it was with Nitro Beergas... here C02 from Bottly - different and very nice texture... Cheers all ye Brewers!

image.thumb.png.ceecc6fb42cfa7355a3b39873c3e6b2c.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

In this unfortunate and disgraceful terrible time of keg deficit the miscreant yet beneficial bottles yield... a lovely Stout - no not Coopers BES but GBB Mountain Stout ; )

[no this is not the same as the Rauchbier posted last even tho they are both dark beers from the archives haha]

So in keg it was with Nitro Beergas... here C02 from Bottly - different and very nice texture... Cheers all ye Brewers!

image.thumb.png.ceecc6fb42cfa7355a3b39873c3e6b2c.png

Looks great, you must be happy to find those long stored bottles in your time of need @Graubart

Has the GB Mountain Brewery commenced operations again?

• Haha 1

The Voyage: American Pale Ale

Strong toffee aroma.  I remember it from when I did the Bootmaker Pale Ale previously.  Also some pine and spice aroma.

Poor carbonation, but it is only day 14 and the middle of winter.  It will be very interesting to try in a few more weeks.  Might elevate it from a 7/10 to an 8/10.

Nice bitterness.  I am so glad I did the 20 minute boil with 27g of Topaz.  Otherwise the toffee aroma could also dominate the flavour.  In this case it does not.

Lovely amber colour and clarity.

IMG_2533.JPG.2c1346a995633eecb1c94a3270ccc94c.JPG

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The Voyage: American Pale Ale

Strong toffee aroma.  I remember it from when I did the Bootmaker Pale Ale previously.  Also some pine and spice aroma.

Poor carbonation, but it is only day 14 and the middle of winter.  It will be very interesting to try in a few more weeks.  Might elevate it from a 7/10 to an 8/10.

Nice bitterness.  I am so glad I did the 20 minute boil with 27g of Topaz.  Otherwise the toffee aroma could also dominate the flavour.  In this case it does not.

Lovely amber colour and clarity.

IMG_2533.JPG.2c1346a995633eecb1c94a3270ccc94c.JPG

i'll swap you a butcher glass for the stella glass

i still have my stella glass but its only show and tell now due to a crack   in it

they are great glasses

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i'll swap you a butcher glass for the stella glass

i still have my stella glass but its only show and tell now due to a crack   in it

they are great glasses

Not sure that is a fair swap.  This is 1 of a set of 6 x 500ml to the line glasses.  So probably holds 600ml or so.  It has the genuine goblet feel about it.  It was filled from a 450ml Grolsch flip-top.  Equally good bottles.

You are right though.  They are great glasses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Has the GB Mountain Brewery commenced operations again?

Haha there @kmar92 Cobber yes mate got two FVs chuggling away now and will look to fire up a third FV if I can overcome the inertia... then try to get three brews in back to back in each of those FVs... utilising the same yeast cake for efficacy, speed, and yeast cost control... hence then complete a total of 9 kegs if all goes ok... well that is the plan...  got another 7 to go to achieve that goal so I won't speak too soon as these are early days in the campaign... and have eased off on the consumption haha ; )  There of course will be a time lag re the Lager/Pilsner cold brew beers compared to the aley things : )

• Like 1

First pour of my new Otto’s version of Pilsner after blowing the Mt Hood Pilsner keg the other night, this is beautiful very easy drinker. Needs more time on the gas but doesn’t matter. Fined with gelatine by lazily chucking in a cup with hot water and tipped in the fermenter. It’s pretty clear not crystal but not far off it. This beer was my starter for my Baltic Porter which I kegged this morning. 🍻 

E12ED1F4-C693-4EE7-AB8B-2104802C1A55.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

First pour of my new Otto’s version of Pilsner after blowing the Mt Hood Pilsner keg the other night, this is beautiful very easy drinker. Needs more time on the gas but doesn’t matter. Fined with gelatine by lazily chucking in a cup with hot water and tipped in the fermenter. It’s pretty clear not crystal but not far off it. This beer was my starter for my Baltic Porter which I kegged this morning. 🍻 

E12ED1F4-C693-4EE7-AB8B-2104802C1A55.jpeg

That looks really good. My kind of beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted one of these a few months back but here’s the second last of my oaked Irish stout (of sorts). A cold snap has me drinking this at room temp. Like a woody, roasty mouth full of velvet. Going to brew this again in a few weeks and let cellar as it really does it wonders. 

7147E10F-B820-4797-8820-AD29F0FA2489.jpeg

• Like 6

Mid strength Pale Ale. Kegged on Saturday, so it’s still a little green but pretty nice to drink. I had a few of it already and my father in law had some too.

218835EF-C521-48F9-909A-FE8B4CAD5CB0.thumb.jpeg.25dd7b332ec77edd58322c720643d640.jpeg

Nice lacing in the glass too. Not bad for a beer brewed with only 3kg of grain. Might add a little lactose next time to add to the body.

F926C42F-8623-467C-829A-BCFD060CF0A0.thumb.jpeg.ea2e1cee6c3996b68fe63f68919d4046.jpeg

• Like 5