Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Mid strength Pale Ale. Kegged on Saturday, so it’s still a little green but pretty nice to drink. I had a few of it already and my father in law had some too.

218835EF-C521-48F9-909A-FE8B4CAD5CB0.thumb.jpeg.25dd7b332ec77edd58322c720643d640.jpeg

Nice lacing in the glass too. Not bad for a beer brewed with only 3kg of grain. Might add a little lactose next time to add to the body.

F926C42F-8623-467C-829A-BCFD060CF0A0.thumb.jpeg.ea2e1cee6c3996b68fe63f68919d4046.jpeg

Looks great mate. Been meaning to do a low abv bad boy for a while now. 
you mentioned you might add lactose….I’m not overly sure that would be the best way of adding body… not for this beer anyway. I’m sure it will in some capacity but you’ll get a stack of residual sweetness as it’s unfermentable. 
id be steering towards a decent step mash, some carapils and upping the dry hop rate.

just my 20c.

brew on 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@PintsAtMeLocal the tin itself or double pale ale? looks nice and creamy mate

Thanks bud! IPA tin with 1 kg ldme. Very nice and creamy. Actually too malty for me expected a bit more bitterness.  Will do a small hop boil next time 

Although,  it was really cold and the temps ranged from 14 -18 C. Not sure if the yeast got to do its job properly,  or if that would affect the final taste. Verdant IPA yeast. Nice beer tho and very drinkable

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Looks great mate. Been meaning to do a low abv bad boy for a while now. 
you mentioned you might add lactose….I’m not overly sure that would be the best way of adding body… not for this beer anyway. I’m sure it will in some capacity but you’ll get a stack of residual sweetness as it’s unfermentable. 
id be steering towards a decent step mash, some carapils and upping the dry hop rate.

just my 20c.

brew on 

Thanks for the heads up. I know it would add sweetness but didn't think it'd be too much. It's not bad in terms of body in general but just a little "thin". I mash at 72C to produce more non-fermentable sugars to aid body while reducing ABV and throw in a little light crystal. Wouldn't a stepped mash increase fermentable sugars due to its lower starting point? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

1016 I think it was. I did write it down 

as long as consistent over 2 days should be fine just strange you say not taste bitter it's the most bitter tin they have I think. I've never brewed that one yet maby someone who has can help with the taste. It looks good in glass though that head nice and creamy with a shine 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

as long as consistent over 2 days should be fine just strange you say not taste bitter it's the most bitter tin they have I think. I've never brewed that one yet maby someone who has can help with the taste. It looks good in glass though that head nice and creamy with a shine 

Was consistent FG ya. I just feel I can taste the malt the most.  Wanted a bitter bite

11 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Thanks for the heads up. I know it would add sweetness but didn't think it'd be too much. It's not bad in terms of body in general but just a little "thin". I mash at 72C to produce more non-fermentable sugars to aid body while reducing ABV and throw in a little light crystal. Wouldn't a stepped mash increase fermentable sugars due to its lower starting point? 

yeah you would be right with the step mash. Thought you may have been mashing at 67ish and was thinking of suggesting adding a higher step. You’re all over that though.

have you looked into non enzymatic mashing? 

• Like 1

This sadly is the last bottle of my slightly overcarbed Stout made with Wheat Malt Extract 😂 MaMa it tastes amazing - I think the last bottle always does.

I have got a fresh batch to see me through with a slight variance in the recipe, but I need to make this again, all Coopers ingredients too. 

On a miserable cold night in Adelaide, this is the business.

Cheers.

STOUT 10 AUG 21.jpg

• Like 8

On 8/7/2021 at 2:30 PM, Green Blob said:

1/2 a glass

Well I finally killed this keg of Coopers Sparkling Ale clone.  it was like the magic pudding story book I read way back in primary school, it just kept on giving and giving.  Its behavior has delayed the kegging schedule somewhat by a couple of days so come tomorrow I can drop Otto's Pilsner out of the FV and into a keg.  Happy days ahead.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2021 at 2:35 PM, jamiek86 said:

I’ve only used this tin once and it was with only 500g dme so not really comparable. That batch was a mid strength but actually a really nice beer - not complicated but balanced and enough body and flavour to make better than most commercial or craft mid  strengths I’ve tried. not saying it is the best one out there - I do need to get out more!

• Like 1

@jamiek86 mate I made it full size (23 litres), with an extra 10g Amarillo in the boil, and 450g dextrose I had lying around which I chucked in the FV. OG of 1.046, fermented at 18 degrees. 8gm/l sugar dissolved in water in a clean FV prior to bottling. A beaut 👍

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

@jamiek86 mate I made it full size (23 litres), with an extra 10g Amarillo in the boil, and 450g dextrose I had lying around which I chucked in the FV. OG of 1.046, fermented at 18 degrees. 8gm/l sugar dissolved in water in a clean FV prior to bottling. A beaut 👍

Is that the Mr Beer Golden ale ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Is that the Mr Beer Golden ale ? 

He said it was a full size brew so unless used 2 kits i think he used another tin. I havent noticed a golden ale recepie on site that not the craft but is over 15 pages so could be anywhere.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

He said it was a full size brew so unless used 2 kits i think he used another tin. I havent noticed a golden ale recepie on site that not the craft but is over 15 pages so could be anywhere.

Maybe the draught or something. I'm keen to try something similar 

• Like 2