Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Well mate, it still looks nice, everything has worked - I bet you won't be pouring it down the sink anytime soon 😬

Oh no, no sink pours here…Still a grand old brew! 🍻

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

must be a quality of the yeast then,did yours finish fairly high in gravity?

Mine started at 1055, finished 1015 (my hydrometer is about 3 points high so would/should otherwise be about 1012 FG)

On 8/11/2021 at 5:52 PM, Popo said:

Mosaic blonde-ish ale. Not a bad beer at all. Just not that interesting. If I'm gunna drink, I'd rather be drinking something else.

How good is keg hopping?! Fixed this guy right up. 

Having never tried it, I thought I'd give it a bash before I tipped the keg. I had some Waimea in the freezer and gave it a fairly liberal dose.  Stoked!IMG20210816183125.thumb.jpg.d4a633f0c9a4e0bd0c5607460b4ad958.jpg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

As of midnight tonight we're off into a snap "hard and fast" lockdown here in NZ so what better way to spend the time?  Lion draught kit, plus GF malts and Amarillo hops...

Awesome BS lovely composed photo too, these lockdowns wouldn't be easy to deal with, we have been rather lucky here in SA compared to other states & parts of the world. Good Luck.

First taste of my beer made out of yeast from wattle flowers. Poured nice with a big head. Smell very saison like. Taste is pretty funky. I expected this when bottling and taking a sample but it's actually  not much more funky than a Dupont saison. I prefer my saisons more peppery and spicy so it's not right up my alley but it's not half bad at all.  There is a bit of a floral zing at the end which is interesting. Can't say this has been a fail. Have the slurry and some brett in the fridge which I think might marry pretty well. 

Will keep the other bottles and drink one every week to see if it develops further.

20210817_183800.jpg

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 11

10 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

First taste of my beer made out of yeast from wattle flowers. Poured nice with a big head. Smell very saison like. Taste is pretty funky. I expected this when bottling and taking a sample but it's actually  not much more funky than a Dupont saison. I prefer my saisons more peppery and spicy so it's not right up my alley but it's not half bad at all.  There is a bit of a floral zing at the end which is interesting. Can't say this has been a fail. Have the slurry and some brett in the fridge which I think might marry pretty well. 

Will keep the other bottles and drink one every week to see if it develops further.

I watched your posts on this with interest @Greeny1525229549 & it certainly looks like it has worked for you. It just shows what can be done with a little of intuition. Good on on you. Cheers.

• Like 3

On 8/16/2021 at 6:34 PM, PintsAtMeLocal said:

I also did a brew a ipa with verdant ipa yeast and mine was too sweet as well 😂

On 8/16/2021 at 4:46 PM, RDW said:

lot darker, sweeter

Just add 280g of hops of whatever your choice at whatever interval of your choice -- in the hop boil and late hop -- in approx 22L Wort aiming for 19L in the FV and you will find you are not disappointed w Verdant IPA. 

If too thick on pour, eat w spoon 👍

Only downside... on attempting to harvest Verdant slurry the resultant mud that went into the jar was very green 😬

image.thumb.png.8031071b229329b4547bb2542da93ed9.png..

• Like 5

21 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I tried a MJ Blonde Dry last night, bottled 15 days ago & it is 'supercarbed' I am surprised how good it tastes already.

I am searching for a Coopers recipe for this. Anyone know of any ?

How do they get it "dry"?

Maybe check out the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet, filter on Canadian Blonde can and try something similar to the MJ Blonde Dry recipe.  Or just do one of the Canadian Blonde recipes that use a lager yeast: True Aussie Bitter or Deuce Lager.  The Deuce sounds nice.

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How do they get it "dry"?

Maybe check out the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet, filter on Canadian Blonde can and try something similar to the MJ Blonde Dry recipe.  Or just do one of the Canadian Blonde recipes that use a lager yeast: True Aussie Bitter or Deuce Lager.  The Deuce sounds nice.

Cheers Shamus, that does look nice, the Blonde Dry is not super dry but it's a nice balance & definitely not sweet, Thanks for that.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 8:34 PM, CLASSIC said:

Awesome BS lovely composed photo too, these lockdowns wouldn't be easy to deal with, we have been rather lucky here in SA compared to other states & parts of the world. Good Luck.

Yes, 6 months of gloat-worthy COVID-free existence suddenly came to an abrupt end!  Looks like delta snuck in from Sydney... and the situation is looking rather grim as it seems it may have spread far and wide in the days before it was detected!  Mostly socially active young folk involved.  I'm predicting 4 weeks lockdown at least... will hear the official word on that later today!  Meanwhile, plenty of homebrew (and wine) stocks on hand!  😜  

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Yes, 6 months of gloat-worthy COVID-free existence suddenly came to an abrupt end!  Looks like delta snuck in from Sydney... and the situation is looking rather grim as it seems it may have spread far and wide in the days before it was detected!  Mostly socially active young folk involved.  I'm predicting 4 weeks lockdown at least... will hear the official word on that later today!  Meanwhile, plent of homebrew (and wine) stocks on hand!  😜  

That is not good, I heard a fair bit of detail about it on early morning ABC digital radio, there is a segment where a NZ correspondent rings in regularly & updates on all of the latest news, apparently it is up to 21 cases now.

Keep safe & good to know you are well stocked, Cheers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Tone boy giving the Bearded one a run for his money there with that pic. Although I reckon he just beats you with the head on his beer.

I had to pour this from a great height only 2 days in keg taste tester Bootmaker PA with galaxy hop tea 5%

20210820_164107.jpg

I just got my first bootmaker kit. What’s it like Jamie? Good with the Galaxy?

• Like 1