Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

I just got my first bootmaker kit. What’s it like Jamie? Good with the Galaxy?

Hard to describe doesn't taste as bitter as what would think from looking at quoted ibu from undiluted tin. Galaxy goes good with any ale but wish I had used more as I think my batch is bit old now not quite as strong as should be for 50 gram tea. Think most places now still have stock from 3 years ago because the world grinding to halt last year and no imports.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

giving the Bearded one a run for his money there with that pic. Although I reckon he just beats you with the head on his beer.

I still think the Great Bearded one AKA the Graubster has the edge with the head shot. Nice beer tough, I have got brush fences around the Courtyard so not enough room to do a beer shoot.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

I still think the Great Bearded one AKA the Graubster has the edge with the head shot. Nice beer tough, I have got brush fences around the Courtyard so not enough room to do a beer shoot.

every time I've seen a pic of your outside covered area I'm jealous looks like a beach resort.

1st pour of the Baltic Porter tonight very nice made with the 3470 yeast cake. I get everything a Baltic Porter should have very rich with very little roast which I think is the carafa iii. I think decadent when I drink this and will need to take it steady at 8.5%. I much prefer this to my Russian imperial Stout I made a while back. Very happy with it. 

51B28B0E-5C37-4DED-BECB-546A334E73B1.jpeg

• Like 11

On 8/17/2021 at 6:48 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

First taste of my beer made out of yeast from wattle flowers. Poured nice with a big head. Smell very saison like. Taste is pretty funky. I expected this when bottling and taking a sample but it's actually  not much more funky than a Dupont saison. I prefer my saisons more peppery and spicy so it's not right up my alley but it's not half bad at all.  There is a bit of a floral zing at the end which is interesting. Can't say this has been a fail. Have the slurry and some brett in the fridge which I think might marry pretty well. 

Will keep the other bottles and drink one every week to see if it develops further.

20210817_183800.jpg

Great stuff Greeny. It’s been really interesting following your progress on this. Just wondering if that slurry would evolve even further if you just repitched it again without blending it with another yeast?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

👍

Used hop tea at all? like in coffee plunger?

Nay. I have not done this in the keg. I did a long time ago for a Cooper's recipe but don't really remember the outcome. 

Have you had better success with a tea into the keg?

It was more an opportunity to try something this time. It was that or tip it and get something a bit better in there. I filled a few long necks from the keg and sent them out to some mates so will not lose too much to the grass outside.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

Nay. I have not done this in the keg. I did a long time ago for a Cooper's recipe but don't really remember the outcome. 

Have you had better success with a tea into the keg?

🙂

No tea as yet... did a keg teaballer at couple stages in the BBJ (Beautiful Brewing Journey) but didna get quite the oomph result I wanted... was all a bit quiet... maybe I put too many hops in the ball too as was then like a compact tennis ball : (

so was wondering about a late tea... maybe even capturing a bit of beer at keg-fill-time and heat to like 80 degC and then hop-on-up overnight in the coffee plunger and then plunge and add the next day to the keggler?

so as to not have too many floaties but yet get some spankin crankin festive hop volatiles in there for troppo IPA type thing...  

Well at least for the first few days following : |

Before it all FAAAAAADES AWAY ☹️

• Like 1

UPSA... pronounced Ooopsa....  Unknown Provenance Sparkling Ale.. started life as an Amber but too pale as kind colleague brewer advised ; )  and seeing it is Pommy ESB yeast... yankee hops... and mostly aussie malts... maybe UPSA is good... and at a quiet easily drinkable 6% could easily cause an ooooooopsa 🥳

image.thumb.png.38784427ea76b6d08b70f0aa12997c65.png

• Like 9

Just now, Graubart said:

UPSA... pronounced Ooopsa....  Unknown Provenance Sparkling Ale.. started life as an Amber but too pale as kind colleague brewer advised ; )  and seeing it is Pommy ESB yeast... yankee hops... and mostly aussie malts... maybe UPSA is good... and at a quiet easily drinkable 6% could easily cause an ooooooopsa 🥳

Mmmm and thankfully am back on kegged AG and not meggggggaswilllllllage (see Yesterday's Tastings for details)

image.thumb.png.38784427ea76b6d08b70f0aa12997c65.png

• Like 1

enjoying this little buaty of a stout really happy how this has turned out.

nice and smooth  mouthfeel   showing some strong chocolate roasted flavour in which i think intime will decrease but will shine the oatsmeal in this stout.

I only kegged this on Wednesday  and its tasting great  for such a green stout

just a tad over 5%   

I will definately be brewing more of this in the future.

however  i think a bit of lactose may just give bit of edge

186727959_oatmealstout.thumb.jpg.00bd293b5f5a9ecc37a93713e08bcc87.jpg

• Like 12

21 hours ago, Graubart said:

Beaut photo Toner and wonderful looking brew yummmmmm ; )

But is that a huge glass or a small windmill? 😋

Small windmill. I made it with my youngest as a shed project he wanted to do. It spins around in the wind but doesn’t pump water - just ornamental 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Based on the Coopers Craft recipe ‘Really Satisifies Stout’ but with more lactose and no peanut butter powder.

Not wanting to blow me own trumpet too much, but this is a tremendous drop! Very much like the Exit Brewing Milk Stout, which is one of my fave’s so as you can see in the picture, I’m pretty made up with this!

E4D43161-28E4-44A3-BD91-2539CB76BECE.jpeg

C2D1D7F8-F0FA-4662-BA58-0499C3B65C33.jpeg

Edited by RDW
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, RDW said:

Based on the Coopers Craft recipe ‘Really Satisifies Stout’ but with more lactose and no peanut butter powder.

Not wanting to blow me own trumpet too much, but this is a tremendous drop! Very much like the Exit Brewing Milk Stout, which is one of my fave’s so as you can see in the picture, I’m pretty made up with this!

E4D43161-28E4-44A3-BD91-2539CB76BECE.jpeg

C2D1D7F8-F0FA-4662-BA58-0499C3B65C33.jpeg

looks rather tasty   mate   

pretty clear pic of you on the  glass mate

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Belgian Single Trappist Ale

Nice spicy aroma with a hint of banana.

More spice in the flavour.  Citrus taste thanks to the orange peel powder.

Quite a noice beer.

That looks awesome Shamus, you certainly have nailed the 'Clear Beer'  thingo, I must address that one day. 

As we always say, as long as it tastes good.

Cheers.

40 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

you certainly have nailed the 'Clear Beer'  thingo, I must address that one day. 

Thanks Phil

When you are ready:

1. Cold crash down to 1°C. 
  2. Add Isinglass (Fish guts)
  3. 24 hours later add Polyclar (crushed poly tube)
  4. Cold crash at least two more days before bottling/kegging

If you do not like the above products, you can try others.  I used Gelatin instead of Isinglass (ran out and could not restock due to lockdown) in my second version of Mitch's Aussie Lager.  It looked really clear when I kegged it on Friday.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks Phil

When you are ready:

1. Cold crash down to 1°C. 
  2. Add Isinglass (Fish guts)
  3. 24 hours later add Polyclar (crushed poly tube)
  4. Cold crash at least two more days before bottling/kegging

If you do not like the above products, you can try others.  I used Gelatin instead of Isinglass (ran out and could not restock due to lockdown) in my second version of Mitch's Aussie Lager.  It looked really clear when I kegged it on Friday.

Hey Cheers for that Shamus, I will save that info. The lockdown must be giving you the 💩 I have read lot's of posts over the last week & it is obvious it is affecting you guys in Vic/NSW as far as obtaining brew supplies, let alone other essentials.

Everybody seems to want to blame the government but IMO they are doing the best they can, it is down to a minority wanting to ignore protocol & go there own way without thinking of others.

That is enough politics so Cheers & keep up the good work.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3