Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

IMG_8094.thumb.jpg.d8cf01d0e0338fe7c5f912f0a4a38f0e.jpg

coopers real ale, be2, kit yeast (R007) x2, ale malt partial (1kg/3 litre/5 litre boil) with fuggles in the boil and the dry hop too. really tasty. i did the same with a dark ale can a few weeks back and i reckon this one has a better balance of flavour. first pour from the keg, still needs a day before it's fully gassed but i am really stoked with this one.

Edited by Stickers
typo
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

IMG_8094.thumb.jpg.d8cf01d0e0338fe7c5f912f0a4a38f0e.jpg

coopers real ale, be2, kit yeast (R007) x2, ale malt partial (1kg/3 litre/5 litre boil) with fuggles in the boil and the dry hop too. really tasty. i did the same with a dark ale can a few weeks back and i reckon this one has a better balance of flavour. first pour from the keg, still needs a day before it's fully gassed but i am really stoked with this one.

Beer looks good @Stickers but your drinking room looks like a right old dungeon / torture chamber 😆

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stickers said:

what, this old thing

IMG_8089.thumb.jpg.c01e35b4acc6b9c28dc53d4346f423cd.jpg

😉

I hope that (1) it's underground and (2) the cellar door has an impressive creak when you open it...

Won't ask what happends down there mate, hopefully just some good old fashioned boozin ' 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I hope that (1) it's underground and (2) the cellar door has an impressive creak when you open it...

haha we don't do cellars much down under, this one is a brick garage and all things considered it's probably sturdier than the house i'm in. the only torture around these parts is trying to start the lawnmower every 2nd week.

IMG_8097.thumb.jpg.52c29bfec41a8446a611b2e219f86538.jpg

on the other tap i've got the coopers lager/brew enhancer 1 attempt at remaking the beer that comes with the cooper's starter kit i bought from the local big W just over a year ago. this brew makes me miss live sport a great deal because out of the keg it tastes a lot like what i remember beer at the footy tasting like. (considerably cheaper though!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

@Stickers so you found the old start up fake lager ok out of the keg compared to bottle priming? as suggested by someone on here is there less cidery taste?

@stquinto is that br 17 yeast or whatever it is for the golden ale one you have used a lot in brewing? how does it compare to Nottingham or US-05 from your point of view?

@Graubart who likes a poem 

There once was a man from Nottingham who tried to cross the river, OH what a joke he tripped on a rope! now look at him shiver!

Does anyone recognise this from anywhere? left a bit out at the end

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Stickers so you found the old start up fake lager ok out of the keg compared to bottle priming? as suggested by someone on here is there less cidery taste?

i wouldn't make it again but it is definitely better out of a keg, it just tastes and feels like beer you'd get out of a plastic cup at a footy match

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

br 17 yeast or whatever it is for the golden ale one you have used a lot in brewing? how does it compare to Nottingham or US-05 from your point of view?

@jamiek86 it's the first time I've used BR 97 as per the recipe, also the supplied yeast. I followed the Lallemand instructions and hydrated it. The last brew I did on Sunday (Fair Drinkum Ale) I just sprinkled it on and it was happily bubbling away the next day.  As for the '97, nothing special: it worked out just fine. Looking through my records (which ain't that good). I think I started the brew on 24/05 @ 1.048, and bottled it on 6/5 @ 1.006. It obviously fermented out quite nicely, and is a bit stonger than expected. 

Notto for me is the liveliest yeast I've come across so far. I use it for most English-style beers. I've used US-05 a cuppla times, nothing special that I remember about it.

Where I am I can generally find the yeasts OK, but have a job with all of the hops, especially some of the Oz ones. I use this site to look for alternatives :

https://beermaverick.com/hops/hop-comparison-tool/

Likewise for all of the different malts, but I tend to be able to get equivalents. I can't get all of the Coopers kits either, so when I can I get a few in stock. Saves on postage too.

I like starting from Oz Pale Ale as it is nice and neutral, a good base for trying out different hops etc. And from now on I'm going to make hop teas (with a coffee plunger) instead of dry-hoppping mid-way through the fermentation if the recipe calls for it.

What I have noticed though is that unless it is a light in alcohol (i.e. around 4.5°) and quite hoppy you need to drink it up: things like the Coopers Vintage really benefit from a long bottling conditioning. Likewise when I go for a Belgian style dubble.

On another note (as I've noticed you quote this beer now and again) I still have a half dozen of Czech Pils left over that were bottled in January. They are really turning quite amber in colour, and have lost any hoppiness. Once the initial lagering is over, I think they're to be guzzled soon enough. I'll find out when the temperature drops here so I can use a dubbya in a brew (I don't have a brew fridge - don't need one here)

Edited by stquinto
typo
  • Like 1

Must be a good home brew year 2021.  Maybe Covid is to blame.  I was curious so I checked it out.

• RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2018 - 49 Pages and 1,211 Posts
  • RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2019 - 96 Pages and 2,385 Posts
  • RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2020 - 94 Pages and 2,339 Posts
  • RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2021 - 104 Pages and 2,587 Posts

2021 is looking to be a record year.  And not even 3/4's of the way through the year.  Actually 2,588 posts after this one. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@stquinto yes your right your pilsners always look really nice in clean glasses plenty of fizz and head. definitely look alot better than what I pour out of a keg that's for sure I think I need to work on my lighting.

Lost hop flavour? hurry up and drink them 😄

Edited by jamiek86
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

@stquinto yes your right your pilsners always look really nice in clean glasses plenty of fizz and head. definitely look alot better than what I pour out of a keg that's for sure I think I need to work on my lighting.

Lost hop flavour? hurry up and drink them 😄

Cheers mate ! I'm starting to get into kegging. Just sourcing a few things, working out how to get aother fridge in the house without waking the sleeping giant AKA SWMBO 🤣

Some stuff I have to get online as there are no LHBS here, so everything comes by post. Need to source the gas particularly (can't get that delivered) , and I quite fancy getting hold of some of the CO2/N2 blend that @Graubart has. In the meantime I'll make do with the SodaStream and small N2 bulbs like you use in whipped cream. Will find out soon what my stout looks like

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Must be a good home brew year 2021.  Maybe Covid is to blame.  I was curious so I checked it out.

• RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2018 - 49 Pages and 1,211 Posts
  • RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2019 - 96 Pages and 2,385 Posts
  • RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2020 - 94 Pages and 2,339 Posts
  • RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2021 - 104 Pages and 2,587 Posts

2021 is looking to be a record year.  And not even 3/4's of the way through the year.  Actually 2,588 posts after this one. 😁

Post 2593 just for you Bruce (McAvaney of beer stats)🤣

“It’s been a delicious yeaaaar!” 

Edited by RDT2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@stquinto no home brew stores in Switzerland or just your area? you do live there? seem to travel a bit we don't know travel in Australia even our states have tit for tat stay away rules.

No local stores anyway. The one that is the best in terms of selling vacuum packed hops etc. is a 2 1/2 hours drive away. In Switzerland that's half the length of the country 😂

Here there wasn't much of a lockdown. Pubs and restaurants were shut for a while, last year the schools were only shut for a total of 6 weeks. Thanks Christ the kids went back, doing my head in.

It's different being in the middle of Europe - it just isn't possible to close the borders. So we've had to accept the 'flu as is. Helps that there aren't loads of useless politicans politiking either 😉

Anyway, I'm not complaining about the response to the problem, they did what was feasible for the country. There's no one size fits all in that game. Good luck to you all down under.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stickers said:

what, this old thing

IMG_8089.thumb.jpg.c01e35b4acc6b9c28dc53d4346f423cd.jpg

😉

All you need now is a random man vacantly staring through the window to scare the crap out of you or maybe Prince Harry just randomly juggling outside ffs wouldn’t that be hilarious 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@stquinto and  I bet u blokes didn't have any more die than anywhere else

Hey mate, we’re a bit off subject (when we should be on a beer topic) talking about this,  but we had it bad enough, nobody knows for sure as nobody (in Europe anyway) counted the same. Loads of the buggers tried to score points off another in terms of who got the vaccination out quickest. All I can say is I’m not trusting any “experts” any time soon.

I’ve had the two jabs mind, and since then my Windows works a treat, never had a problem with Microsoft since Bill’s chip’s in my arm 🤣

Back to the essentials, this is what I got up to today (golden ale again)

D2F49AA7-FFCA-4677-A306-06310DC15A31.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

I think they have one of the best stats actually

Considering they didn’t go round closing everything down, not that bad. I dunno, I make beer then drink it. I used to think I leave that ‘flu stuff to the boffins, but I might as well ask the cat 😻

Edited by stquinto