Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

10 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Tone boy I have found you need to at least double the flavor hops for a ROM. In the early days of using extra hops it was fine. As soon as you do a few with extra its hard to go back.

Well this one was an IPA so thought 50g of hops might not quite cut it. That was my first ROTM and really happy with it. Cheers 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Looks beautiful Tone, not so sure about the glass size though. 😂

Hahaha yes

I have found that verdant is very light and floaty at the bottom of the bottle, and is easily stirred up. I decided to just do one pour into the jug and leave the sediment behind with this brew, rather than doing the old back and forth with multiple pours from the bottle and stirring it up.

It has a bit of hop material in the sediment I think, it’s quite bitter. 
But yes, I didn’t drink straight from the jug I promise!!  

Normally it’s not a problem with the yeasts  I use. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hahaha yes

I have found that verdant is very light and floaty at the bottom of the bottle, and is easily stirred up. I decided to just do one pour into the jug and leave the sediment behind with this brew, rather than doing the old back and forth with multiple pours from the bottle and stirring it up.

It has a bit of hop material in the sediment I think, it’s quite bitter. 
But yes, I didn’t drink straight from the jug I promise!!  

Normally it’s not a problem with the yeasts  I use. 

I like to do the one long pour, usually just use two glasses.

I don't need to with most brews but it's now a habit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Another try of the Orval clone. Hmm… the brett is a bit overpowering. Better leave it another three months 

686DF1F5-74CC-4FA4-8DFB-476F97D427D4.jpeg

Hmm. If it's overpowering with Brett now I can't see how it's going to get less overpowering as it ages. Maybe the flavours will meld a little better. I have always wondered how Orval manage to make this beer adding brett at bottling. A point or two of gravity higher and you would get too much brett. A point or so lower and you wouldn't get enough. They must finish bang on everytime or blend beer or something to get around the variability.

Still it looks pretty good from here mate. 👌 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Hmm. If it's overpowering with Brett now I can't see how it's going to get less overpowering as it ages. Maybe the flavours will meld a little better. I have always wondered how Orval manage to make this beer adding brett at bottling. A point or two of gravity higher and you would get too much brett. A point or so lower and you wouldn't get enough. They must finish bang on everytime or blend beer or something to get around the variability.

Still it looks pretty good from here mate. 👌 

Good point 🤔

This brew was one of my earlier ones with the Grainfather, and I hadn’t got the hang of it with volumes. Probably didn’t help that I chucked in the whole vial of Brett in a mere 14 l batch… This ain’t a session beer that’s for sure! It’s not that strong, just pretty pungent. 
I won’t be tipping it, just be having one once in a while. Shame they’re in the original Orval bottles, so I can’t reuse them very soon. They are the best Belgian bottles, they are the heaviest, and the most attractive shape too.

You live and learn eh? Maybe this type of beer with have to be my nemesis, and I’ll just buy them. I’ve got a slab of the originals gathering dust underneath something else in my dungeon somewhere so not to worry

• Like 4

This is my Flanders, looks well dark as it is night here. It's a great beer - bretty, sour, cherry - lovely

PXL_20230207_103003887.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.b409a468fa2d585719a80eff730f8236.jpg

11 hours ago, stquinto said:

This ain’t a session beer that’s for sure! It’s not that strong, just pretty pungent. 

You need to drink more of them

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, beach_life said:

This is my Flanders, looks well dark as it is night here. It's a great beer - bretty, sour, cherry - lovely

PXL_20230207_103003887.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.b409a468fa2d585719a80eff730f8236.jpg

You need to drink more of them

That looks awesome mate 👍

How long fermenting and in the bottle?

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I like the look of this one, I will give this a go.

@jennyss This would be a good one for you to try given that it says to use Kveik Yeast. No problems at Summer temperature without temp control.

22066_COOP_ROTM_NorsePaleAle_Feb_960x600.jpg.e681b746a307fc31357cbcd185cc63a1.jpg

Yes, I should have held my horses and waited for this one - sounds good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Yes, I should have held my horses and waited for this one - sounds good.

Don't worry the ingredients for the recipe can be sourced individually, besides our good friend  @Shamus O'Sean (guru) will catalogue this one along with the others in "Albums"

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

This is one of the bottles of Real Ale, the same brew that is in the keg, just over 2 weeks in the bottle. It was dry hopped late & it is very aggressive in the bottle, I had to pour the rest into a jug as the bottle was going to take off.

Extreme hop burst & a little hop matter forced upwards after opening but the experience is worth it.

20230208_160117.thumb.jpg.fc89879f7cfec7af0b08edcebf6dac9d.jpg

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I like the look of this one, I will give this a go.

@jennyss This would be a good one for you to try given that it says to use Kveik Yeast. No problems at Summer temperature without temp control.

22066_COOP_ROTM_NorsePaleAle_Feb_960x600.jpg.e681b746a307fc31357cbcd185cc63a1.jpg

This will be a good brew, my "troublesome" kveik brew actually turned out fine, yeast brought out the fruity flavours combined with galaxy. In the keg now, tastes delicious!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

This is one of the bottles of Real Ale, the same brew that is in the keg, just over 2 weeks in the bottle. It was dry hopped late & it is very aggressive in the bottle, I had to pour the rest into a jug as the bottle was going to take off.

Extreme hop burst & a little hop matter forced upwards after opening but the experience is worth it.

20230208_160117.thumb.jpg.fc89879f7cfec7af0b08edcebf6dac9d.jpg

I had a simlar experience where a little hop matter found its way into the bottle. It was a gusher, but the beer was cleaner and more delicious than the bottles without any hop matter in them. I wonder why it does that? Happened to a few bottles in the batch. 🤔

• Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 9:23 AM, stquinto said:

I’m not sure about the appropriate glass for the Vintage 22. Lovely drop- beautiful combo of malt and hops… I’ve got a few more to look forward to 😄

A stemmed glass seems right

4F965765-573B-454E-9E0D-5878876F44C7.jpeg

It’s a great beer, mine turned out nicely as well. Yesterday I had an original one I stored since it came out in my beer dungeon. Wow it was soo good. Put one of mine in the fridge today to try later. Will have to put one of each in the fridge for an an and b test

• Like 2