Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Side by side Coopers XPA, my AG Version on the left, real Mc Coy on the right.

Distinct Colour difference as mine is darker.

‘Taste wise reasonably close IMO, Coopers Version is more bitter if anything. 

B6E0E420-1203-45F8-BAEB-EA48D6F6F5D5.jpeg

Lovely looking drop RD. I suppose if it's in a keg and chilled, you won't get too much of a hop fade, right ? Compared to bottles ?

• Like 2

The first try of Wild Wood Pacific Ale brew, extract recipe so darker than S&W, definitely strong with the Galaxy flavour and aroma which is nice, the wife likes it but says it’s more bitter than the original. Would the hop steep add that extra bitterness? 
Would definitely do this one again, should change over time also. Finally got a good head going on a brew 😅

0C95CE19-1661-4176-A1C8-950239388B28.jpeg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, NBillett09 said:

Would the hop steep add that extra bitterness? 

Yes it would if it was over 80 degrees C. 
You can steep at 75-80 degrees and get less bitterness if you like, or dry hop. The bitterness will probably mellow out with time (along with hop flavour unfortunately).

Nice looking brew, glad the head thing has worked out for you 👍(<——that’s a thumbs up emoji)

• Like 6

On 2/21/2023 at 4:56 PM, Red devil 44 said:

AG Coopers XPA Clone, very nice, this was a double batch so have another keg of this, happy days. 
Been in the keg & keezer 3 weeks on serving pressure whilst I was away. 

9359DCDB-4E00-4CB2-9CA6-6354EDA27F1B.jpeg

Looks great RD.  I am planning to brew one this weekend.  Looking forward to tasting it.

• Like 3

Bit of a side-by-side taste test.

My Coopers Sparkling Ale and my Coopers Original Pale Ale (link is to first tasting, but will lead to the recipe)

• COPA more fruity aroma, from the hop stand
  • CSA more malty aroma.
  • Both have the banana aroma too, but it is just a bit more noticeable in the COPA.
  • COPA has a smoother flavour with more citrus fruity notes
  • CSA has stronger bitterness, malt and overall flavour

I am really happy with both brews on their own merits.  Not sure how they will compared with their commercial counterparts.  Maybe not identical, but still excellent brews.

IMG_3619.JPG.5a35d507ed90611ca950ee1604517f35.JPG

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

This Real Ale is starting to taste too damn good, that means the keg must be getting low - always the way. 😬

20230222_143936.thumb.jpg.e7eb0fd5aacdff331d1e90f1ee66ad16.jpg

Looks nice if I was to make another coopers it would be that can! I hope that’s frosting on the side of the glass ??? (Laughing emoji)

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Bit of a side-by-side taste test.

My Coopers Sparkling Ale and my Coopers Original Pale Ale (link is to first tasting, but will lead to the recipe)

• COPA more fruity aroma, from the hop stand
  • CSA more malty aroma.
  • Both have the banana aroma too, but it is just a bit more noticeable in the COPA.
  • COPA has a smoother flavour with more citrus fruity notes
  • CSA has stronger bitterness, malt and overall flavour

I am really happy with both brews on their own merits.  Not sure how they will compared with their commercial counterparts.  Maybe not identical, but still excellent brews.

IMG_3619.JPG.5a35d507ed90611ca950ee1604517f35.JPG

From your descriptions of each @Shamus O'Sean I reckon that you have just about hit both the COPA and CSA perfectly in comparison the the commercial variety.  CSA from the Coopers website shows an IBU of 32, whilst COPA shows an IBU of 26. My perceptions of the commercial variety is that CSA has a maltier backbone that is balanced by a higher bitterness than the COPA, however COPA seems more bitter to me but possibly just because of the lower ABV. All a balance with beer and from your observations of your CSA and COPA you are getting it right. Well done!

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Looks nice if I was to make another coopers it would be that can! I hope that’s frosting on the side of the glass ??? (Laughing emoji)

Classic example of a beer glass that is not clean - bubbles adhering to the inside of the glass!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Classic example of a beer glass that is not clean - bubbles adhering to the inside of the glass!!!!

Or maybe the glass is scratched on the inside, from sodium bicarbonate which is what is used in toothpaste for it's mild abrasive properties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hot day here too. Perfect for this Hefeweizen. Absolutely yum.

I’ll be doing this one again next summer.  Cheers all!

946B8345-6549-4958-B29A-39AB65D00573.thumb.jpeg.77a3bcd52f6884dfb5d42768ad02d2e4.jpeg

Great looking Beer and Glass!

I must get a can of THOMAS COOPERS PREACHER'S HEFE Wheat and see if I can make a half decent wheat.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Shamus O&#x27;Sean said:

Have to agree with you there @Shamus O'Sean both the recipes I designed, the COPA and the CSA clones are very good beers (if I do say so myself).  I too found the CSA more malty, if you have a sip of a COPA and then the CSA you really notice the maltiness.

I just cannot stop brewing and drinking the COPA. - Cheers

• Like 2