Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

7 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Thanks mate this is what I put in it and it went onto my Aussie Lager yeast cake!

E0D3C5A7-833D-4FFE-BF7B-363B6BB93DBD.png

That’s fantastic, thanks RD!

No wonder it’s dark. I haven’t tried a Vienna lager, but do make quite a few lagers. I might need to get on the Vienna train!!

Thanks for sharing your recipe (thumbs up emoji ———> 👍)

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 3

I just carefully opened the 2l Growler of Real Ale in the kitchen as I was expecting a gusher but all good, it seems the extra area of space allowed it to carbonate nicely, the 660ml bottles of the same batch were a bit lively.

This was dry hopped & after 3.5 weeks in the bottle it is best to drink now to appreciate the hops.

20230215_144853.thumb.jpg.f083627ad49b7075803365fc8f3aaab6.jpg

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Pale Ale, after a Hot day at Golf

Goes down a bit too easy, first of a new batch.

This one had Sapphire hops boiled for 15 and dry hoped with Galaxy

It's fresh but very Nice.

IMG_20230215_150655.thumb.jpg.ffe66e00f7e32f77371920743814319d.jpg

nice head and colour  there and looks to have great body to it.  the problem is i wish i can brew like that

great stuff mate  

this is what i am putting up with its an ipa , but have i brewed it wrong lol

20221219_172436.thumb.jpg.a0b2bba952df02c751c77f70a225a24e.jpg

if only it was a goldnen colour lol

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

nice head and colour  there and looks to have great body to it.  the problem is i wish i can brew like that

great stuff mate  

this is what i am putting up with its an ipa , but have i brewed it wrong lol

20221219_172436.thumb.jpg.a0b2bba952df02c751c77f70a225a24e.jpg

if only it was a goldnen colour lol

I'll move on to the IPA's later

Mine are a similar colour to yours!

But so tasty!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks pretty dark.  It might be 100% Vienna.

The chocolate malt would have done that more than the Vienna I reckon.  Interesting @RDT2 , I have some chocolate malt here, never thought to try it in lager.  Can you taste it in the finished beer?

• Like 3

Ran out of Cold Pale's (on this hot night).

Had to move on to the Coopers IPA's

This one is a Brew A can with 1k Light Dry Malt, 150g Light Crystal Malt

Mosaic Hops in the boil and the dry Hop!

Just a light beer for some of you but it's very nice to Drink

IMG_20230215_184842.thumb.jpg.0b6452033fbb845c459790b088aff913.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

The chocolate malt would have done that more than the Vienna I reckon.  Interesting @RDT2 , I have some chocolate malt here, never thought to try it in lager.  Can you taste it in the finished beer?

I can taste a little bit of roast but missus says she can taste a bit of coffee. She said it tastes expensive! Yes you would be right the chocolate would be the main colour changer! I am really loving the south German yeast too it’s so good! I have thrashed this yeast. Using ottos harvesting process and dirty batching I am close to 20 batches from this yeast!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I can taste a little bit of roast but missus says she can taste a bit of coffee. She said it tastes expensive! Yes you would be right the chocolate would be the main colour changer! I am really loving the south German yeast too it’s so good! I have thrashed this yeast. Using ottos harvesting process and dirty batching I am close to 20 batches from this yeast!

Is this pretty much same as the dry Bohemia Lager/Pilsner yeast? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yaraville Pale Ale 2 weeks in keg made it too watery for my liking 4.2%. Still a nice flavour will be better pushing 5%. Always a next time

20230215_172354.jpg

is that a grain and grape fwk?

it looks great session beer in photo 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Ran out of Cold Pale's (on this hot night).

Had to move on to the Coopers IPA's

This one is a Brew A can with 1k Light Dry Malt, 150g Light Crystal Malt

Mosaic Hops in the boil and the dry Hop!

Just a light beer for some of you but it's very nice to Drink

IMG_20230215_184842.thumb.jpg.0b6452033fbb845c459790b088aff913.jpg

thats a great colour David    

i reckon nice to drink as well

i must admit  the ipa a few posts back is an A.g Black ipa of mine

i your beers look great mate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

thats a great colour David    

i reckon nice to drink as well

i must admit  the ipa a few posts back is an A.g Black ipa of mine

i your beers look great mate

Yes mate last time I made it at 5% but added extra dry hops and was nice. this time it had no extra hops but watered it too much. So I just wanted it to be same % with no extra hops to see how it really is. 

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 8:02 PM, RDT2 said:

I am keen to try out this yeast having never used it before on my next run of 44 L lager brews which may go on and on over many months.  I bought a couple of packs of WLP 838 ages ago, BBF date Oct23 2021 and just never got around to using them.  I have kept them in the fridge but realize that they have probably run out of reserves by now.  Hopefully I can spin up a small OG starter to begin with and get some survivors firing up out of the two packs in one starter and build them up from there. 

What do you reckon @Greenyinthewestofsydney ?  Worth a crack and a few $ in LDME?  I have successfully used dry yeast sachets well over two years past the BBF dates and all was good.  I know that is a different kettle of fish to live yeast though.

WLP838 SGLY - resized.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I am keen to try out this yeast having never used it before on my next run of 44 L lager brews which may go on and on over many months.  I bought a couple of packs of WLP 838 ages ago, BBF date Oct23 2021 and just never got around to using them.  I have kept them in the fridge but realize that they have probably run out of reserves by now.  Hopefully I can spin up a small OG starter to begin with and get some survivors firing up out of the two packs in one starter and build them up from there. 

What do you reckon @Greenyinthewestofsydney ?  Worth a crack and a few $ in LDME?  I have successfully used dry yeast sachets well over two years past the BBF dates and all was good.  I know that is a different kettle of fish to live yeast though.

I would give it a try you might be surprised! Greeny got me into this yeast when I made a KB lager it’s a beast it ferments so fast. I am using US05 at the moment after doing several batches with South German lager it’s so slow in comparison! In saying that I have been using a starter and dirty batching with the south German yeast! It clears really nicely and the Aussie lager I made with it is just awesome and I was never really a lager man!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 5:13 PM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Is this pretty much same as the dry Bohemia Lager/Pilsner yeast? 

Sorry mate I missed your reply I am not sure exactly but the substitutes I have seen are Fermentis 34/70 and the Diamond Lager yeast@Greenyinthewestofsydney may be able to confirm or someone else. I used all of these yeasts which are great if you have temp control. If you like lagers and can do starters and harvest I would give the south German lager yeast a go to make it worthwhile. I have been lucky My local homebrew shop have been selling expired half price white lab yeasts so I have been snapping a few up, no probs so far with starters!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

She looks a bit dark grey which signifies a lot of death. I'd still give it a go though you might have to build it up 2 or 3 times. I'd go a 200ml starter. See if you get some growth then a 1L starter then a 3L starter. You might have to do one in between the 200ml and 1L if there is minimal growth on the 200ml one. It's a great yeast though. And it's super quick at lager temps. I have had slurry/dirty batches ferment out in 3 days starting at 10c.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4