Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

14 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Sorry mate I missed your reply I am not sure exactly but the substitutes I have seen are Fermentis 34/70 and the Diamond Lager yeast@Greenyinthewestofsydney may be able to confirm or someone else. I used all of these yeasts which are great if you have temp control. If you like lagers and can do starters and harvest I would give the south German lager yeast a go to make it worthwhile. I have been lucky My local homebrew shop have been selling expired half price white lab yeasts so I have been snapping a few up, no probs so far with starters!

"Allegedly, Diamond Lager yeast from Lallemand is the "Wisenschaftliche Station #308 (Munich)" strain"

I can't say i agree. Diamond Lager gave sort of a different profile for my taste buds. Not as malty. It's not W34/70 though. That's the weinstephan strain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

She looks a bit dark grey which signifies a lot of death. I'd still give it a go though you might have to build it up 2 or 3 times. I'd go a 200ml starter. See if you get some growth then a 1L starter then a 3L starter. You might have to do one in between the 200ml and 1L if there is minimal growth on the 200ml one. It's a great yeast though. And it's super quick at lager temps. I have had slurry/dirty batches ferment out in 3 days starting at 10c.

Good advice there thanks @Greenyinthewestofsydney.  The colour in the pic is probably not quite right as it was a crappy phone shot but yes it is darker than some of my other live yeast so point taken.  As soon as I finish a current spin up of some CCA (ya paying attention here Phil ?) I will have a crack at saving some lives.  As you have suggested, start small and not much lost if no sign of life.  Be nice to achieve some brews out of these otherwise a big waste of money.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

Followed by a Guinness clone. First out of a 5l overflow keg I have. Quite useful really - a 23 litre brew gives you a cornie and a 5 litre keg. Litre for litre they cost a damned sight more than cornies, but for my keezer I can fit three on the shelf so it makes for a more efficient system.

BTW I messed around with the highlighter feature of the photo so the head looks whiter - it’s still a bit tan coloured in real life….

50A97000-93C7-4C21-A85E-BC34ABF26852.jpeg

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Oh Yeah, it is full of flavour & one of the best, you may have missed my post on my visit to Coopers Alehouse because you were away, but they have every Coopers brew on tap, including the former ROTM , 4th from right.

20230209_122022.thumb.jpg.7b1a0f50a5fc3786beced8238448811a.jpg

20230209_122022.thumb.jpg.7b1a0f50a5fc3786beced8238448811a.jpg

Looks good mate, nice bar too. 

• Like 1