Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

36 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I hear you Phil... I am gradually collecting kegs, fill 'em and stash some. I'm also trying (trying being the operative word..) to have a cuppla dry days a week. Ideally three. I entertained myself by counting all of my drinks with an App call Drink Control.... strewth ! The results are enough to make you reach out for a stiff one !

Yeah well, I haven't bothered about that, but then I don't drink much anyway. 😇

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, beach_life said:

Berliner Weisse.

Using https://wyeastlab.com/product/berliner-weisse-blend/ for the fifth time, full repitch onto the cake. Autolysis is apparently not an issue with a longe ferment - this was 5 months - as all the bad bits get eaten.

6% apparently. Nicely sour, dry, pungent on the nose. Kinda umm, Brett (for those that know) - grass, hay, farmhouse for sure. Very refreshing.

Made me think: I wonder what you might get from a co-pitch of Lallemand Farmhouse with Philly Sour?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Interesting recipe @stquinto with a 30 min protein rest and then only a 30 min mash - unusual. 60 min boil? Also a big Saaz hop. I would like to try that but it would tie up a brew fridge for a month.

Thanks for the input @kmar92: I'd happily tweak it next time. What are you thiking ? A longer mash and a longer boil ?

TBH the chemistry of it all is beyond me ...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, stquinto said:

Thanks for the input @kmar92: I'd happily tweak it next time. What are you thiking ? A longer mash and a longer boil ?

TBH the chemistry of it all is beyond me ...

Not really. If you are happy with the result there is not much point in changing the recipe. It is just unusual to have such a short mash but it obviously is doing what it has to do, i.e. convert the starch in the malt to sugars via enzymes, so that they can be fermented. The step mash is using different temperatures as the 2 main enzymes work best at 2 different temps.

How long was the boil, I didn't notice it listed in the recipe?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

Not really. If you are happy with the result there is not much point in changing the recipe. It is just unusual to have such a short mash but it obviously is doing what it has to do, i.e. convert the starch in the malt to sugars via enzymes, so that they can be fermented. The step mash is using different temperatures as the 2 main enzymes work best at 2 different temps.

Thanks for the input 👍

The boil was 60 minutes. In the original recipe it says to go for a 90 minute boil. It also uses candy syrup but I have to order it specially and it bumps up the price quite a bit, so I used table sugar. Ditto for the yeast - MJ41 works fine and it’s half the price of Wyeast or White Labs.

If it ferments out properly, and you lager it for a few months (two to three), you get a decent approximation to the real thing.

I might try a longer mash and boil next time just to see…

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kmar92 said:

It is just unusual to have such a short mash but it obviously is doing what it has to do, i.e. convert the starch in the malt to sugars via enzymes, so that they can be fermented. The step mash is using different temperatures as the 2 main enzymes work best at 2 different temps.

Not really unusual IMO.  From my understanding the bulk of the mash conversion is over and done with in about 30 minutes anyway, that is if the mash pH and temps are in the correct zones etc.  Its a two step mash and it takes time to get from the lower temp up to to the second and also mash out stages so those ramp times have to be considered in the overall picture as well.   Some of my slow ramp rises from the first step to the main mash have produced some very high conversion efficiencies so I know you have to take the ramp times into consideration at all times.

@stquinto do you have records of the ME and BHE numbers for the DUVEL clones you have done?  

Edited by iBooz2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto do you have records of the ME and BHE numbers for the DUVEL clones you have done?  

Errr... I don't take any measurements other than an OG at the end of the boil. I put a sample in the freezer for a while then pour it into the tube and drop the hydrometer in.

I tried putting a bit on a refractometer but TBH I can't get a consistent reading. I put a few drops on, took a reading, cleaned it, then repeated it with the same liquid and got a different reading each time. I could take a proper hydrometer reading, then pour the samplt back in the boil I suppose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

Really enjoying this Coopers Saison. A bit darker than some, but it’s a lovely drop. I’m a sucker for clear beers too so the time spent in the keg waiting for a spot in the keezer was worth it

0BA7D78C-8B09-4F9B-B1B6-5D51BD51DCEB.jpeg

Looks pretty nice mate, I haven't got the patience for that ATM but maybe one day I will try something similar.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kmar92 said:

John Palmer says the majority of the conversion is done in the first 15 minutes 😜

• Thanks 1

Waimea pale ale first pour. Nice colour and carbonation. Taste is very average though to be honest. I can taste the citrus and pine that waimea supposedly brings to the table but its  extremely muted. Overall a pretty bland beer to be honest. I won't be buying or using waimea again for flavour or aroma. Bittering only

20230204_183645.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 2