Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

On 1/22/2023 at 8:12 PM, Malter White said:

So this is a Toucan but not a Toucan as you'd expect. It's a bit of experimentation on my part with heavy influence from a dubious Facebook page.
2 x cans of Woolies "Larger".
1 x can of homebrand mango slices. 2 x little cans of HB passionfruit pulp and about 20g of Pride Of Ringwood hops. I boiled and mashed the fruit together with the hops for about 5 minutes. Then I strained the "fruit/hops tea" into the mix on brew day. I don't have the patience or energy to dry hop later. I'm a bit set and forget minded.
It has definite fruitiness flavour about it but I reckon the key to it tasting so smooth is I used reactivated Coopers commercial yeast from some Sparkling Ale stubbies. Cheers!

Just a follow up on this beer. It was easy drinking and I enjoyed it but I've tried another variation without the fruit and used Galaxy hops for the first time ever. The Galaxy have given a better result and are much simpler to add than tins of fruit.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Just a follow up on this beer. It was easy drinking and I enjoyed it but I've tried another variation without the fruit and used Galaxy hops for the first time ever. The Galaxy have given a better result and are much simpler to add than tins of fruit.

Malter, Galaxy is one of my favourite's, I like a lot of others too but numerous to mention.

I was in Big W recently grabbing a few things & a guy next to me asked why they only stocked Galaxy Hops & I said probably they are the most popular.

I assume they figure it would be impossible to stock a bigger range for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Malter, Galaxy is one of my favourite's, I like a lot of others too but numerous to mention.

I was in Big W recently grabbing a few things & a guy next to me asked why they only stocked Galaxy Hops & I said probably they are the most popular.

I assume they figure it would be impossible to stock a bigger range for obvious reasons.

I'd say BigW caters mainly for the kits 'n' kilo brewers, rather than kits 'n' bits. So things like hops aren't on top of their priority list. Those with more ambition (not judging, before I get hopelessly misunderstood again 🙂will consult their LHBS to get their "bits". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'd say BigW caters mainly for the kits 'n' kilo brewers, rather than kits 'n' bits.

And they are really small packets of shitey finishing hops which are not refrigerated and probably only have a placebo effect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'd say BigW caters mainly for the kits 'n' kilo brewers, rather than kits 'n' bits. So things like hops aren't on top of their priority list. Those with more ambition (not judging, before I get hopelessly misunderstood again 🙂will consult their LHBS to get their "bits". 

Yeah, I agree, Brigalow just include those in their stock list to give them a reasonable range of HB products for the novice.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, beach_life said:

And they are really small packets of shitey finishing hops which are not refrigerated and probably only have a placebo effect

Agreed.  If anyone buys and uses these then I suggest getting the same hop from a LHBS and hopefully they will be a lot fresher and would make a big difference.  Not singling out @jennyss here as an example but Jen, and others, try some real fresh Galaxy from your LHBS and you will see/smell/taste what I mean.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Agreed.  If anyone buys and uses these then I suggest getting the same hop from a LHBS and hopefully they will be a lot fresher and would make a big difference.  Not singling out @jennyss here as an example but Jen, and others, try some real fresh Galaxy from your LHBS and you will see/smell/taste what I mean.

Yeah, hanging on the shelf for bugger knows how long ain't going to do you beer any favours, or any flavours HA HA HA.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, beach_life said:

Flanders Red from the bottle. Several have tried this beer, it is a winner. Now aside from the cherry notes it is developing some grass/ hay characteristics, really friggin nice and complex.

PXL_20230130_075511305.thumb.jpg.46244c99f2bf1eadc7a427629d443ff6.jpg

It is a very nice beer 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1