Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

Brewed a partial-mash PA yesterday - I'm calling it"Stickarillo" (stiklebract and amarillo hops!).  A day later, fermenting with Voss @35ºC it looks like it's almost done already. 

• 1.5kg LME
  • 1.4kg GF Pilsner Malt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 200g GF Aurora Malt
  • 20g Sticklebract @30min
  • 25g Amarillo @10min
  • 25g Amarillo steep/dry
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

Last time a brewed a PA with a similar malt base for reasons unknown it turned out quite dark - way too dark - maybe I scorched the LME?  Dunno, but it looked more like an amber ale.  Tasted good though. 

This one is looking much more like the colour intended (15EBC).

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Brewed a partial-mash PA yesterday - I'm calling it"Stickarillo" (stiklebract and amarillo hops!).  A day later, fermenting with Voss @35ºC it looks like it's almost done already. 

• 1.5kg LME
  • 1.4kg GF Pilsner Malt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 200g GF Aurora Malt
  • 20g Sticklebract @30min
  • 25g Amarillo @10min
  • 25g Amarillo steep/dry
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

Last time a brewed a PA with a similar malt base for reasons unknown it turned out quite dark - way too dark - maybe I scorched the LME?  Dunno, but it looked more like an amber ale.  Tasted good though. 

This one is looking much more like the colour intended (15EBC).

Hey BS, I'd like to give Voss a crack, what heating method are you using to hold those temps at around 35 degrees C?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Hey BS, I'd like to give Voss a crack, what heating method are you using to hold those temps at around 35 degrees C?

I have a brew fridge and actually use a 40w lamp as my heat source controlled by an Inkbird.   The lamp however is looking a bit worse for wear!  A moist environment has ultimately led to some corrosion so I'll probably replace it soon with a heat belt.  In Summer though I've often brewed with voss at ambient i.e. no temp control.  Kveik aint so fussy about constant temps and the fermentation is over so quickly anyway.   While Summer daytime temps here are mostly in the mid to upper 20's I find that if I pitch the yeast at around 35ºC  - fermentation is in full swing hours later and the thermal activity then helps keep things at a kveik-friendly temp for the duration of the fermentation which is rarely more than two days for the beers I brew.  🤓

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I have a brew fridge and actually use a 40w lamp as my heat source controlled by an Inkbird.   The lamp however is looking a bit worse for wear!  A moist environment has ultimately led to some corrosion so I'll probably replace it soon with a heat belt.  In Summer though I've often brewed with voss at ambient i.e. no temp control.  Kveik aint so fussy about constant temps and the fermentation is over so quickly anyway.   While Summer daytime temps here are mostly in the mid to upper 20's I find that if I pitch the yeast at around 35ºC  - fermentation is in full swing hours later and the thermal activity then helps keep things at a kveik-friendly temp for the duration of the fermentation which is rarely more than two days for the beers I brew.  🤓

Thanks so much BS, that's some great advice so cheers. That's a great point about summer and the ambient temps and the heat generated by the fermentation process. I can see how this would definitely help with the production line of beer. A couple of extra ferment vessels may be in order. Cheaper than another fridge - I think I'm at my limit now  - between the 2 gifted second hand fridges I have in the garage and the kegerator and even the old banged up kegerator  which doesn't cool (use it for fermenting Ales now) Mrs Mickep has made it abundantly clear there will be no new fridges - Voss is something I would really like to try - thanks for sharing mate much appreciated. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

is a gas/pressure issue

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Cold crash gone wrong?

Yeah on both counts. Fermented with the spunding valve at zero because I was using kveik and wanted some of the esters. I've packed up the house and can't find the airlock that came with it.

Did not pump any CO2 bingo the fermenter before I cold crashed and it.

It popped out pretty easily with some gas. Not sure of it's integrity now. Seems ok though.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

A simple Summer Pilsner in preparation for drinking in the warmer months ahead, around November (bring it on as I am sick of this seemingly constant cold, wet weather).  I should get 44 L out of this then I will retire the yeast and start a fresh lager (maybe a double batch of LL with DL yeast).  It will be fermented under pressure, initially at 10 psi 18 C from the get go.  Cannot do another Budweiser clone as I am low on FM BO PILs beer seeds.  Got plenty of rolled flaked rice but!

Got a 3 L stater going today with freshly harvested Cooper's yeast from six stubbies of pale ale, which were exquisite drinking.  This will be thrown into a 25 L batch of CIPA - collaboration IPA ver 3.0 which has been sitting in the cube waiting for me to ferment it out since April this year.  Reminds me to buy some bags Coopers Pale grains and pump out a few plain Jane pales.  I have been on the lagers so long just forgot what a nice pale ale was like.

Beer stocks are low so I have put myself on notice!

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Brew No. 9 - A 'Brigalow New' extract with 1kg dextrose, and made with rain water.  My husband chose this extract, hoping it will taste close to Tooheys New. There's very little information about this extract online.

The can says it contains malted barley and hops. The yeast was under the lid. Instructions on the tin also said to brew at 25 - 27 deg! Pitched the yeast at 24deg. OG was 1035.

Brigalow New.jpg

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, jennyss said:

The yeast was under the lid. Instructions on the tin also said to brew at 25 - 27 deg! Pitched the yeast at 24deg. OG was 1035.

Still try to get it a little lower.  Around 20°C is better.  It is probably an ale yeast.  It would have been better with a Brew Enhancer or Light Dry Malt.  It might be fine with the Dextrose.  Only time will tell for sure.  At the end of the day, if you or hubby like it, that is all that matters.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Still try to get it a little lower.  Around 20°C is better.  It is probably an ale yeast.  It would have been better with a Brew Enhancer or Light Dry Malt.  It might be fine with the Dextrose.  Only time will tell for sure.  At the end of the day, if you or hubby like it, that is all that matters.

Hey Shamus my thoughts exactly, I decided not to comment earlier but sadly the 1kg of Dextrose ain't going to do the brew any favours.

You do need some form of Malt albeit in the form of Brew Enhancers or even a grain steep addition or simply just Malt.

Dextrose really doesn't make for a good brew, it has been mentioned many times before.

• Like 4

So I finally got around to my "Toocan" lager as per @Aussiekraut's suggestion

Steep 250gr carapils O/N strain boil liquor with 20 gr Hallertau 15 mins.

1 x Canadian Blond & 1 x Coopers Lager W 34/70 yeast to about 21 litres.

Only difference AK was I used a complimentary yeast enzyme pack from LHBS.

Also my 👇"Stevie Wonder Stout" 👇is 33 days aged & tasting pretty bloody good.

Stevie Wonder Stout.jpg

• Like 8

What's in my fermenter? The same that was in there 2 and 3 weeks ago respectively. The back is playing up yet again, so no kegging or brewing for me this weekend.  Well, gives me the opportunity to add finings to both batches I kinda forgot last week 🙂 An extra week of cold crashing won't hurt.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

The Ale that I suspect will end up being nitrified ; )

On a slow cool down for a bit of yeast clean-up in the Brew Fridge.

Day 11 in the Coopers FV on a dirty pitch over the US05 Yeast Cake... think the yeast is a bit sluggish so this might be the last Brew on this somewhat tired ol' Yeasty Boi 😋

Clearing up nicely as does the benign and mostly well-behaved US05 not favoured by some ; )

image.thumb.png.dbd3e07301e65223a555208fb78831d4.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The same that was in there 2 and 3 weeks ago respectively.

You should brew a Flanders, 6 months in I just kegged it the other day.

Provided the Berliner carbs I'll post a bottle of each to you and @Brauhaus Fritz , it's an issue with a long ferment I find, they don't seem to carb very well

• Like 4

After bottling the Trendy Trousers Amber Ale and the Wife's Lager

(https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/trendy-trousers-amber-ale.html)

Put in another Lager for her and a Pale Ale for me, onto the dirty yeast cakes.

Can of Pale Ale, One kilo Light Dry Malt

300g Golden Oats, 200g Carapils, steeped for 30 minutes.

5 minute boil with 25g of Pride of Ringwood hops, let sit for 20 min.

In the brew fridge set for 20 deg.

Will dry hop with 25g more POR later in the week.

Easy Day

• Like 7

Three krausen collar questions for the Coopers Community and Coopers team:

1. Why and when did Coopers introduce the new fermenting vessel design, with a krausen collar, and no airlock?

2. Is it OK to leave the krausen collar on the FV? On day 7 of my Brigalow 'New' brew, there is still a 1/2" thick krausen with white foam and brown streaky yeasty bits on top.  I thought I would start testing the SG today.

3. Is it OK to bottle if FG has been reached, and there is still foamy stuff on top of the brew?

Thanks in anticipation of your info and advice!

11 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Three krausen collar questions for the Coopers Community and Coopers team:

1. Why and when did Coopers introduce the new fermenting vessel design, with a krausen collar, and no airlock?

2. Is it OK to leave the krausen collar on the FV? On day 7 of my Brigalow 'New' brew, there is still a 1/2" thick krausen with white foam and brown streaky yeasty bits on top.  I thought I would start testing the SG today.

3. Is it OK to bottle if FG has been reached, and there is still foamy stuff on top of the brew?

Thanks in anticipation of your info and advice!

@jennyss  cant answer the 1st question but i know they have been around for a few years now

2nd it is ok to leave it on... sometimes you do not even need to use the Krausen collar  depending on how hard your yeast goes to town on your wort.   if your Krausen is dropping if you really wanted to  you could take it off  if your dry hopping
if your not dry hopping just leave it on

3rd   if your gravity has been stable for 2 days  it should be fine to bottle.. but if you are worried give it a few more days to see if it drops out.. if you also think its done and your really worried about that krausen getting into the bottled product  you can rack to another sanitized fermenter or Bottling bucket and bottle from that fermenter or a Bottling Bucket.   however you will need to be careful transferring it must be done with very little splashing if your going to use a secondary vessel

• Thanks 1