Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

5 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Just transferred my 150 Lashes Clone from Cube to Fermenter.

Sprinkled US-05 Yeast (Fresh Packet) and what do you know fermentation has started 2 hrs after pitching.

I know it kicks off quick when rehydrated but this was dry and she’s away. 
‘Never had that happen before, temp is 19 degrees. 
OG- 1042 

Good stuff RD, I agree it's a great yeast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

Extract brew mixed this morning - Coopers APA tin, BE2 and a hot steeped tea of Pride of Ringwood hops. Yeast is Coopers commercial ale yeast and has formed a small but healthy looking krausen already. 

Yeah good old Pale from Coop's, I suspect it will taste better than the WW brew.

• Haha 2

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah good old Pale from Coop's, I suspect it will taste better than the WW brew.

I reckon your suspicions will be found to be correct. The APA, BE2 and which ever hops I have on hand is probably my staple brew (the one I've brewed the most). I don't think I've ever made this tin where it's turned out poorly. Added bonus is the CCA yeast as opposed to the usual kit yeast.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I reckon your suspicions will be found to be correct. The APA, BE2 and which ever hops I have on hand is probably my staple brew (the one I've brewed the most). I don't think I've ever made this tin where it's turned out poorly. Added bonus is the CCA yeast as opposed to the usual kit yeast.

Yup, agreed, I must admit though I use BE3 & a minimum of 500g of LDM as well & at least 50 gm of POR-steeped.

It is Pale Ale on steroids, it does give you wings & cranks up the ABV but I can tell you the head, body etc is awesome, especially when kegged, in fact I am having one now right out of the tap.

20220815_164219.thumb.jpg.d2790dba2ffc3f1388da5281caf8a7b2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On Day 8 in the fermenter, my brew of Coopers Pale Ale extract with BE No. 2, 500g LDM and 2 x 12g 'tea bags' of Galaxy hops now has a FG of 1008 after an OG of 1046! This would mean an ABV of 5.16%. I think it is all the added extras which have done this?

At this stage there is a spicy, slightly fruity smell and taste, quite bitter, and the earlier 'bread' smell has gone. 

I think we'll bottle the beer on Saturday, Day 11.

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

On Day 8 in the fermenter, my brew of Coopers Pale Ale extract with BE No. 2, 500g LDM and 2 x 12g 'tea bags' of Galaxy hops now has a FG of 1008 after an OG of 1046! This would mean an ABV of 5.16%. I think it is all the added extras which have done this?

At this stage there is a spicy, slightly fruity smell and taste, quite bitter, and the earlier 'bread' smell has gone. 

Sounds like it is all going to plan Jenny, the bitter taste would be the hops but it will end up being just a nice bitter aftertaste.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jennyss said:

Good to see you are starting to experiment 🙂 

How did you use the hops? Dry hop or did you make a tea with it? A tea would have extracted some bitterness but also fruity flavours. Galaxy is a fairly high alpha acid hop, so it can bring a fair bot of bitterness but when steeped at not quite boiling or as a tea, it shouldn't be too much.

Once it is in the bottle and a couple of weeks old, it will mellow out a bit. Looking forward to a taste report. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

How did you use the hops? Dry hop or did you make a tea with it

Not sure if I'm answering this correctly @Aussiekraut. I made a tea with my two bags of galaxy hops which were steeped in two cups of boiling water for 15minutes (straight from the instructions on the bags.)

Yes, I will look forward to a taste test too. I will wait for 3 weeks after bottling.

Tonight I have just opened the first bottle of Brew No. 7 - a straight Coopers Pale Ale, but made with unfiltered rain water because of the boil water at the time. It is yummy! My husband says we should use rain water all the time - it is extra work though. It will be good to see how the Pale Ale in Brew No. 8 'carries' all the extras.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

I made a tea with my two bags of galaxy hops which were steeped in two cups of boiling water for 15minutes (straight from the instructions on the bags.)

Ahhh, my mistake. I thought you might have added the hop bags into the fermenter and left them there - which is why I suggested to get them out. 
I hope you enjoy your new variation Jenny 👍🍻

• Like 3

Wort from Brew Day yesterday.... a mix of freshly milled luverly maltiness in rainwater and mostly ale malt...  some cara and a bit of acidulated-n-pilly that needed using up... and then EKG in the main... a little early and then more at FO...

Pitched with Dubbya out of the jar from the fridge harvested a few days ago ; )

image.thumb.png.b4b90e5a2258ab9d4a8ce94f0d776534.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 7

So the above photo of the Brew - frothy from splashing the Wort in to maximise Oxygenation for Yeast Health...

And today seems to be going ok - making it's own warmth... and cruisin' - nice brew smells in the Larder at the moment which is cool:

image.thumb.png.1dfa330e71f4efa539751f3726c6d43f.png

• Like 6

German Pilsner of sorts in the FV. Good old dubya has done the job within a week. Took the temp down to 13.5 degrees C last night and I’m dry hopping some Hallertau Mittelfrüh at that cooler temperature for 24 hours only. 
First time dry hopping this way after reading the research with much interest, and am keen to see the results.

No photos sorry - just sterilised a hop sock and fishing line, added the hops, tied it up and carefully into the FV. I give a little jiggle on the fishing line every now and then to agitate the hops. Haven’t had a bite yet though 🐟 

Cheers all

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Sparkling Ale finishing up in the Brew Fridge - hoping to keg tomorrow - and then I think I shall harvest the settled yeast cake, wash out the FV as it is a bit skanky, decant the Ale Wort being done in the Brewery today and then toss the yeast back in... 

image.thumb.png.ebd1aa92163abd5361b7891606ca1f9e.png

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Sparkling Ale finishing up in the Brew Fridge - hoping to keg tomorrow - and then I think I shall harvest the settled yeast cake, wash out the FV as it is a bit skanky, decant the Ale Wort being done in the Brewery today and then toss the yeast back in... 

Good to see the Mountain Brewery is pumping brews out, Classic Brewing is a bit slack ATM as I have 2 brews ready to keg in a day or two but I am holding off until after that to get some more on.

• Like 3

The Wort decanted across yesterday into the empty FV from that kegging episode:

Was going to harvest the yeast... then wash out the FV and then subsequently do a yeast slurry transfer - but on examination at the time - the yeast FV wall coating "wallpaper" did not seem thaaat bad - so did not wash out the FV.

And...  the brew has cranked up nicely and the current kräussen is rubbing shoulders w the old FV Yeast wallpaper and I think that should be just fine... 😀

Smells just luverly ; )

image.thumb.png.4db32ac6dd1cd858cf08dac1a5c04ac0.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 5

Busy day, not rarely, just a few hours.

Bottled a Woolies Lager and put another one in, it's for the Wife.

Can of Lager, 300g LDM, 200g Maltodextrin, 200g Dextrose. (BE3 almost)

Should end up around 3.2 -3.5% ABV

Modified version of Trendy Trousers Amber Ale

Didn't have all the ingredients so ab lidded a bit.

Can of Coopers Pale Ale

400g of LDM, 350g of Dark DM

250g of Light Crystal Malt and 250g of Dark Crystal Malt Steeped over night.

25g of Galaxy hops boiled for 15 min. Will dry hop on day 7 with another 25g Galaxy

Didn't have any Roasted Barley grain, so made it up with what was on Hand.

I'm sure it will be drinkable!

• Like 7