Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

Kicking off this year's thread.  Link to last year's is here.

Simcoe Pale Ale.  Based on a recipe from Aussie Brewmakers.

Key details

• Batch Vol: 30 L (Made a concentrated 23 L batch and added 8 L of water)
  • ABV: 4.9% (OG: 1.049 FG: 1.012) (Actual OG: 1.047)
  • EBC: 12  IBU: 26
  • Acid Rest 55°C for 10 minutes
  • Mash 67°C for about 75 minutes (stirred 3 times during the mash and added about 5 minutes to the mash duration for each time I stopped the recirc to stir)

Recipe

• 5.8kg Pale Ale
  • 300g Wheat Malt
  • 150g Crystal Malt
  • 150g Acidulated Malt
  • 20g Simcoe 30 minute boil
  • 20g Simcoe 15 minute boil
  • 25g Simcoe 10 minute hopstand @77°C
  • 55g Simcoe Dry hop
  • 1 pkg Lallemand Voss Kveik yeast

Giving the Voss Kveik a second go.  Disappointed with it the first time around.  The yeast packet was best before October last year.  Still thought it was worthwhile.  Pitched yeast around 2pm today.  Fermenting at 32.5°C.  Pressurised FV to 15psi from the get go.  The photo is from about 7pm tonight.  Going gang-busters.

IMG_2783.JPG.7dbef193316a1d19a83bcb759a225fe8.JPG

PS Happy New Year

• Like 9

Moved this over from the 2021 thread - (thanks Shamus).  In the words of Maxwell Smart "I missed it by that🤏 much"

Dropped 2 x cubes of LL into the 58 L kegmenter yesterday for another 44 L batch of my VB clone.  This is the second back-fill / dirty batch done in a row on the DL yeast trub so hopefully my sanitation practices and the brewing gods are with me this time around.  I have never gone to a third batch like this one so fingers crossed.  That will make it 1 x 45 L batch then 1 x 48 L batch and now another 1 x 45 L batch all off the one trub of yeast.  I will not be pushing it any further so next kegging / bottling day will be harvesting some trub for the next starter and giving the SS Kegmenter and good clean out and soak in SP to ensure a fresh start next time.  

The DL yeast gives this beer a more crisp taste than Dubbya so very happy were this beer is at but also keen to try the MJ lager yeast next time for comparison.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pitched my pilsner this morning. It's currently sitting at around 7.5 degrees but will be fermented at 11.5. I prefer pitching colder. It should have been done yesterday but I had to re-soak the fermenter overnight as it had a bit of crap in it (had already cleaned it when the last batch was kegged but lid not on tight). 

Usual recipe, 2278 yeast. Should be ready to keg in a month. Tomorrow I'll be brewing a pale ale, need to make up a recipe tonight after golf. 

• Like 7

Pitched my 1911 Carlsberg Pilsner version 1.2 about mid-morning today, its batch #72 AG #31 Using Copenhagen Lager yeast again via a 3 L starter which already looks happy at 9 hours in.  Fermenting initially at 11 C.

1911 Carlsberg Pilsner Batch # 72 AG #31 - resized.jpg

• Like 6

Did a quick 23  litre batch yesterday in my smaller tun/kettle which I use a basket in rather than a bag.  Used this for the second time yesterday and very happy with it. All Up the brew took 3 hours with the only thing left to clean is the kettle which has been soaking all night.   Pitched with M54 Californian Lager which I hope will better suit the style I am after rather than an US05.  The pic is my fermentation chamber. It is a freezer the fermenter on the left has 44 litres of Czech Pils ready to be cold crashed and the right in the brew from yesterday.  It is a Fat Yak style of beer.  When it is finished in a week I will cold crash bother of them. 

fermenters.jpg

Screenshot (27).png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Marty_G said:

Pitched with M54 Californian Lager which I hope will better suit the style I am after rather than an US05. 

I have heard reports that M54 goes off, this is the sample I took after pitching which was about 6pm last night.  It was a 1040 last night cant tell where it is now.  It has been in with my wine at about 22c.  This warm temp lager yeast could be a winner!

20220116_113910.jpg

Edited by Marty_G
  • Like 5

Coopers Pale Ale, my go to, K&K with LDM and 200g of dextrose and 20g of Galaxy hops.

Woolies lager for the Wife, with 500g LDM, 100g of dextrose and 25g of Galaxy hops.

This Lager comes out nicely to the wife's taste, also lower in alcohol.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Pale Ale, my go to, K&K with LDM and 200g of dextrose and 20g of Galaxy hops.

Woolies lager for the Wife, with 500g LDM, 100g of dextrose and 25g of Galaxy hops.

This Lager comes out nicely to the wife's taste, also lower in alcohol.

Do you just use the kit yeasts, David? Woolies lager isn't available in Adelaide where I am. I'm curious if they provide an actual lager yeast or an ale yeast with the tin.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Hmmmm the "What are you drinking in 2022" thread has 8 pages of comments already but the "Brewday" and "What's in your Fermenter" threads are still on the first page. Either you guys are p&^s heads or you have enough stock to afford drinking for 2 weeks without brewing 🙂 

Yeah I am a p&^s head. I do though have an All In Brewing FWK Hefeweizen about to be kegged, probably tomorrow. Brewed with WLP300 and the samples so far are really good so I am looking forward to getting it carbed up.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes. @disgruntled reckons it is just like any other yeast, so I am hopeful. I do have a spare FV though 🙂 

i would agree with  @disgruntled, if its just a normal beer  and just using the phily sour yeast you wont be wasting the fermenter

if you was to sour a wort that has been infected  and  your continue to sour it 
thats when you kiss ya fermenter good bye

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Do you just use the kit yeasts, David? Woolies lager isn't available in Adelaide where I am. I'm curious if they provide an actual lager yeast or an ale yeast with the tin.

Yes, I just use the tin Yeast. R3427 Not sure what type that is.

I don't go through the Lager rituals,  just mix, leave for 7 days, at ambient temp then bottle.

At $8 a can, cheap brew and if she likes it, Win Win.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/192228/woolworths-home-brew-lager

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Catherina Sour. Mixed berries will be added at the appropriate time. This better be good…

Hey it is a sour it will taste like vinegar.  Their not my bag, every tasting paddle has one on it these days and still have not tasted one I like.  Big in the craft world right now though. Good luck and hope you like it.  Cheers 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

Hey it is a sour it will taste like vinegar.  Their not my bag, every tasting paddle has one on it these days and still have not tasted one I like.  Big in the craft world right now though. Good luck and hope you like it.  Cheers 

Yeah, not sure about them myself but I had a few recently, which were a little more subtle in the sour department and not half bad. I just want to see what I can do. I hope it is worth the time, effort and most importantly, the keg space 🙂 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, not sure about them myself but I had a few recently, which were a little more subtle in the sour department and not half bad. I just want to see what I can do. I hope it is worth the time, effort and most importantly, the keg space 🙂 

Brave move, don't like them myself but as you say, enjoy the journey, all part of the learning curve!

• Like 2