Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

Thanks for the advice @Tone boy and @Popo.  I will leave the bag until I keg this one.

The bag was floating on the surface.  However, when I checked last night, just a day into cold crash, the bag has sunk.  I will check it today to make sure it is not sitting too close to the tap.  If it is, I will move it with some long sanitised tongs.  Probably keg tomorrow night.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

So you added brew enhancer 3, i kg of brewing sugar and what is on the right?

No mate I don't want to fly to the moon, I should have made it clearer, but the edit function had gone. The white packet you see was from the box & I used half of the malt.

1.7 Can Coopers Pale Ale

1 x kg BE3

500gm Malt (I couldn't get Coopers)

US05

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient

50gms POR

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 7:09 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

The sulphur I noticed came from a Diamond Lager yeast fermenting at 25°C and under 15psi.  It was not noticeable in the final beers.  I did 3 dirty batches with the one packet of yeast.

G'day SOS.  Maybe the difference is that you pressure cook yours way hotter than I do, mine 18 C at 15 psi v yours at 25 C.  And you way under pitch the quantity of yeast.  DL pitch rate recommends 1 - 2 g / litre so maybe they get a bit more stressed in your situation - dunno.

I am about to pitch a 44 L batch of LL using several sachets of DL and I will keep a nose out for any sulphur-ish smells this time and advise.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks for the advice @Tone boy and @Popo.  I will leave the bag until I keg this one.

The bag was floating on the surface.  However, when I checked last night, just a day into cold crash, the bag has sunk.  I will check it today to make sure it is not sitting too close to the tap.  If it is, I will move it with some long sanitised tongs.  Probably keg tomorrow night.

Be interested to see the colour when you pour a cup SOS. 
Also, why are fruit additions added when the ferment is most of the way through? Why not add them when you pitch the yeast? Does the flavour disappear during fermentation?

Intriguing…mmm 🤔

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Also, why are fruit additions added when the ferment is most of the way through? Why not add them when you pitch the yeast? Does the flavour disappear during fermentation?

Hey there @Tone boy Toner - probably shouldn't be jumping this early - but am logged in haha - and yeah so if I do get to doing the Saison or Farmhouse non-diastaticus Raspberry brew - as far as I have been gathering inf - one pops it in fairly late - poss a bit like a late hop - so that you don't froth-ferm-off all the lovely aromas off  from the fruity stuff... so if I do it - I was thinking of boiling some frozen rasssies, pushing through sieve or other to pull out the bitsies... and then pouring that in a few days before finito....

That is my take on things.

Am happy to be corrected by the Fruit Experts tho and anyone who is in the know : )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hey there @Tone boy Toner - probably shouldn't be jumping this early - but am logged in haha - and yeah so if I do get to doing the Saison or Farmhouse non-diastaticus Raspberry brew - as far as I have been gathering inf - one pops it in fairly late - poss a bit like a late hop - so that you don't froth-ferm-off all the lovely aromas off  from the fruity stuff... so if I do it - I was thinking of boiling some frozen rasssies, pushing through sieve or other to pull out the bitsies... and then pouring that in a few days before finito....

That is my take on things.

Am happy to be corrected by the Fruit Experts tho and anyone who is in the know : )

I like the idea of boiling the fruit. Get it all sanny…nice work. No doubt cool it down a bit before popping it into the old fv. 
That process is a bit like making a raspberry jus (that’s fancy France talk for juice 😉).

Makes sense to add late like a dry hop I guess, I didn’t realize the fruit flavours are prone to getting lost like those volatile hop oils. 
Thanks @Itinerant Peasant Pez ✌️

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

G'day SOS.  Maybe the difference is that you pressure cook yours way hotter than I do, mine 18 C at 15 psi v yours at 25 C.  And you way under pitch the quantity of yeast.  DL pitch rate recommends 1 - 2 g / litre so maybe they get a bit more stressed in your situation - dunno.

I am about to pitch a 44 L batch of LL using several sachets of DL and I will keep a nose out for any sulphur-ish smells this time and advise.

The temperature could be a big factor.  With mine, the main ferment was done in under 2.5 days.  Went from 1.042 to 1.006.

However, I reckon I pitched about as much yeast as you.  I put 1 packet in a 2 litre starter.  It should have produced about 483 billion yeast cells, so roughly 2.5 packets worth of yeast for a 30 litre batch of 1.042 OG wort.  The next three batches were done dirty, straight onto the previous yeast cake. Actually, I tell a bit of a fib there:  The third of four included a commando dry hop.  So I actually decanted the yeast from that batch, gave it a wash, and put the good yeast back in the FV.

Next time I try this yeast, I might ferment a bit cooler:  Around 18°C like you do.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Makes sense to add late like a dry hop I guess, I didn’t realize the fruit flavours are prone to getting lost like those volatile hop oils. 
Thanks @Itinerant Peasant Pez ✌️

Yeah good stuff @Tone boy Toner - I like the idea of sterilising even the frozen stuff... get rid of the seeds n pulp - eat them with greek yog.... and put the festive fluid in late - yeah all aromatics - volatiles.. keep them in... 👍

Haha maybe I should change my name to Pezzza... am sure there was some funny dude in the past in my group of mates who was called Pezza for some reason... haha... anyway.... if I magically become Pezzza, then all of you Brew Dudes and Dudesses out there... you will know why suddenly IP will have become Pezzza haha!  😋

Edited by Pezzza
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pezzza said:

Yeah good stuff @Tone boy Toner - I like the idea of sterilising even the frozen stuff... get rid of the seeds n pulp - eat them with greek yog.... and put the festive fluid in late - yeah all aromatics - volatiles.. keep them in... 👍

Haha maybe I should change my name to Pezzza... am sure there was some funny dude in the past in my group of mates who was called Pezza for some reason... haha... anyway.... if I magically become Pezzza, then all of you Brew Dudes and Dudesses out there... you will know why suddenly IP will have become Pezzza haha!  😋

Hey Pezzza we are getting dizzy with all of these name changes & what the hell is Pezza 🤔 🤣

• Haha 1

Haha Pezzza : )

it is all up there quite clear on this Wotsinyerfermenter Thread... blame festive @Tone boy Toner : )

And as usual @Aussiekraut is quite correct! 

A beautiful aussiefication of the longer term : )

Come on now @Classic Brewing Co it's all part of the Beautiful Brewing Journey : )

Note that the Brewery Label did not change 😆

Good Brewing All

Pezza

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Gold 🤣😂

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Tone boy said:

IP will have become Pezzza haha!  

@Pezzza, I liked your avatar when you had the poor little itinerant peasant tramping through the countryside with a bundle of wood on his back, and worn out clothes, and a bag on his belt with a dry crust of bread in it, and a kettle; maybe looking for somewhere to start a brew.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jennyss said:

@Pezzza, I liked your avatar when you had the poor little itinerant peasant tramping through the countryside with a bundle of wood on his back, and worn out clothes, and a bag on his belt with a dry crust of bread in it, and a kettle; maybe looking for somewhere to start a brew.

That describes him perfectly, he has just gone all posh with a fancy name 🤣

• Haha 3

The RYE IF I WANT TO 

chilling down now and the colour looks interesting... will probably not have time to clear it up properly in the Cold Crashing Phase (yes yes I know @Aussiekraut I need to plan better to do a proper cold crash 🥶) but hopefully it might finish clearing up in the keg... the colour is looking promising.

But then I am thinking... all the members of the site are going... it's the same bllllardy beer as posted last time...  the same old Amber from Pezzza's Amber Alehouse!?!

And what was today's Brew Day result... blaaardy Dark Amber ?!

Might hafta brew a Black or bite the bullet and purchase some Pilly Malt to lighten things up 😆

image.thumb.png.8a6d3626f571f67f56258d549e2565e5.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

The photo shows some of the gear sterilised and waiting early this morning.

Brew No. 10 now in the fermenter.  Mixed Coopers Pale extract with Brew Enhancer No.2, 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt, 1 x 12g bag of Brigalow Galaxy hops steeped for 20 minutes. Brought water up to 23L at 20 deg. then pitched yeast (Coopers pkt). OG 1045.

We've gotten into the pattern of doing her choice, his choice alternate brews. The challenge is that our tastes are different. We're trying to meet in the middle, as we really don't have room to run two fermenters!

Sanitised ready for brew no. 10 (2).jpg

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

The photo shows some of the gear sterilised and waiting early this morning.

Brew No. 10 now in the fermenter.  Mixed Coopers Pale extract with Brew Enhancer No.2, 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt, 1 x 12g bag of Brigalow Galaxy hops steeped for 20 minutes. Brought water up to 23L at 20 deg. then pitched yeast (Coopers pkt). OG 1045.

We've gotten into the pattern of doing her choice, his choice alternate brews. The challenge is that our tastes are different. We're trying to meet in the middle, as we really don't have room to run two fermenters!

Sanitised ready for brew no. 10 (2).jpg

That's more like it @jennyss those ingredients are just perfect for a decent Pale Ale. You will notice a difference in the addition of the LDM as it will give it more body & aid the head retention compared to adding Dextrose.

Good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1