Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

49 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Pale Ale

Can of Pale Ale, One kilo of Light Dry Malt.

250g Carapils, 250g Crystal Malt, steeped for 30 minutes.

Boiled for 5 minutes, 30g Galaxy Hops thrown in at the end of the boil.

Can Yeast pitched at 24 deg. In the brew fridge at 20 deg.

Should be a good session beer for sunny arvo's in the sun!

It's a good beer anytime, I have it on tap & 4litres in bottles. 🍻

• Like 3

On 9/8/2022 at 8:51 AM, jennyss said:

I am going to push the temperature up to 26 deg and see what happens. I'll probably test the SG every day.

Hi @jennyss

Sometimes Yeast does not play nicely -- if you have not aerated your brew very well - like frothing the phaaarque out of it to get some oxygen into the Wort - before you add the yeast -- of course ensuring sanitary conditions and no import of wild yeast during the frothing.  But the Yeast desperately need some oxygen at this stage - not later. 

And then the only other thought is if the yeast was old and a bit tired?

I am hoping that maybe raising the temp might wake the yeast up again... 

As above yeah 1021 is way high... and would suggest that your sweet flavour is from all of the fermentables waiting around to be chewed through by some yeast into Alc n CO2 plus other lovely metabolites that make up Beer.

Hope things pick up and our yeasty friends fire up for you.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got the Rye Baby into the FV - note that the Frothy top here is just Bubbly stuff whipped up in the splashing/oxygenation process... 

The Wort smelled really really lovely... hope it makes for nice Beer : )

Apologies re state of the floor--always seem to be using boiling water for final-rinse-sterilising on things some of which ends up on the floor : \

image.thumb.png.86af0c4bde9a2ff529af2f8d6ceed5ed.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hope things pick up and our yeasty friends fire up for you

@Itinerant Peasant, So two days later and with the brew temp raised to 22/24/26 the SG has gone from 1021 down to 1010 and the sweet taste has gone. I'm hoping the FG will be reached soon, as I have to go away next Thursday and need to bottle before then!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@Itinerant Peasant, So two days later and with the brew temp raised to 22/24/26 the SG has gone from 1021 down to 1010 and the sweet taste has gone. I'm hoping the FG will be reached soon, as I have to go away next Thursday and need to bottle before then!

Sounds like everything is going to plan @jennyss

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I'm hoping the FG will be reached soon, as I have to go away next Thursday and need to bottle before then!

That all sounds VERY positive.... leave it as long as you can before you go away and bottle before you go... well done and that sounds like a good result @jennyss

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Rye Baby into the FV

Taking its time to wake-up.... I feel for all other Brewers who are concerned that post-pitch and their Yeasties are not firing up as soon as you'd like... have been doing dirty backfills with big yeast cakes the last few which fire up within hours... and now having done a sprinkle I am going "when is this gunna fire up" haha 😬

I think it is just starting to wake up 24 hours on... 

image.thumb.png.ff48cf5e831ab056dbd14f9634b3e712.png

• Like 8

CIPA Collaboration IPA,  Brew #77 AG #36 is a bit ahead of this actual pic.  Currently its at beginning of cold crash and last day of dry hop (20 g Vic Secret and 20 g Eclipse).  Smells very nice and looking forward to it.

Got two 25 kg bags of Coopers Premium Pale Malt grains arriving on Tuesday so will get stuck into a few batches of Coopers Pale Ales to build up beer stocks for the up coming warmer weather.

CIPA ver 3 batch #77 AG#36 - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

My big 58 L SS Kegmenter containing the Summer Pilsner brew has just hit 2 C for the last leg of cold crash period.  Will hold it at that temp for as long as I can, maybe a week before kegging it.  Need to get some other lagers up and brewing for the hot weather coming up so will retire this yeast cake and do a big clean up.  Unsure of next big batch, either a Budweiser clone or another LL.

I used this ferment to purge and prepare a few kegs with sanitiser and fill with CO2.

Unsing the Summer Pilnser Ferment to Sanitize & purge a few kegs of O2 - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 7

On 9/8/2022 at 7:02 AM, jennyss said:

Thanks everybody for your krausen collar and yeast info and suggestions - very interesting. I will leave the collar on.

Another puzzling thing with this Brigalow 'New' brew, which was mixed with the can and 1kg dextrose only, is that on Day 7 the SG was only 1021! After a SG of 1035. The sample tasted 'sweet', definitely not off, not much smell, and very thin 'mouth feel'. On the can it said to brew at 25-27deg! So, I have gone out on a limb and turned the little heater up, raising the brew temp to 24deg; hoping that will give the yeast a kick along.  Whaadayareckon?

@jennyss I have only used the KC once so unless like others have stated, big OG beers or stouts then leave it off.

With regard to your ambient temp fermenting you have to remember that what you think may be the ambient in your laundry or whatever overnight is a lot different to actual temps in reality.  At this time of year, where you are in mid west of NSW the overnight temp probably drops to below what that can yeast were comfortable with.  So they take all day to pretty much wake up and get working again (bit like me) only to find they have to shut down yet again during the night.  Therefore the ferment time will be a lot longer than you think (up to 3 times longer).

My advice is for you to get a secondhand fridge and an ink-bird controller.  You will not look back as your beers will be superb from then on and less stressful fermentation in the process.  Once you have temp control you can almost predict the FG down to the hour (not kidding) and then you can cold crash your beers to produce a nice clear drink in the glass.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I used this ferment to purge and prepare a few kegs with sanitiser and fill with CO2.

Unsing the Summer Pilnser Ferment to Sanitize & purge a few kegs of O2 - resized.png

Something I noticed when doing this with a lager yeast (that did not seem to be an issue, but it might be) is that the CO2 used to purge the kegs has a smelly sulphury odour.  I first noticed it when filling a keg from my Coopers fermenter.  When I do that type of transfer, I vent off the CO2 from the keg as the keg is filling.  Not long after starting the transfer, I thought, jeez, somebody just farted.  But nobody was around but me.  Then I thought it must be me.  It turned out, the smell was coming from the venting keg.

I did not pick up any adverse smells from the finished beer that went into that keg.  Maybe the concentrations were so low to be undetectable.  Maybe the small amount of yeast that got into the keg, helped to clean up the smell.  Who knows.

• Like 5

Sample of my xtra hazy, soup like excuse for a beer. After having my ears pricked by such breweries as mountain culture and range I decided to have a go at one of those style beers. Am I happy about adding lactose to an ipa? No. Will I do it again? Probably. Is this a beer I’m going to enjoy? Not sure. Is the dry hop on this beer north of 15g per litre. Yes. 

typical hazy grain bill.

pils

wheat

oats

Warrior to 45ibu that gets completely drowned out and seems like 10ibu

citra, mosaic and sabro in the WP at 85 for 20 mins. 

same hops for the ridiculous dry hop.

london fog ale yeast

this beer was meant to finish at 1.018 but has over attenuated and seems to have pulled up at 1.014 

0F3E9103-3B5C-4791-9A43-A1B7AD9B2D88.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 6

On 9/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, RDT2 said:

South German Lager yeast is a beast

@RDT2 That looks such a beaut Ferment there mate...

But I only think it is possible as it is being held up nicely by some redundant XXXX Gold Cans ; )

And it looks like being a beeeyoodiful colour coming up too 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Something I noticed when doing this with a lager yeast (that did not seem to be an issue, but it might be) is that the CO2 used to purge the kegs has a smelly sulphury odour.  I first noticed it when filling a keg from my Coopers fermenter.  When I do that type of transfer, I vent off the CO2 from the keg as the keg is filling.  Not long after starting the transfer, I thought, jeez, somebody just farted.  But nobody was around but me.  Then I thought it must be me.  It turned out, the smell was coming from the venting keg.

I did not pick up any adverse smells from the finished beer that went into that keg.  Maybe the concentrations were so low to be undetectable.  Maybe the small amount of yeast that got into the keg, helped to clean up the smell.  Who knows.

Sorry Shamus, I missed this post.  I have not had a sulphury odour since I last used S-23 lager yeast back in March 2020.  It was a shocker and a brewery stinker that's for sure.

Since then have used Dubbya, Coopers Euro kit lager yeast. Copenhagen Lager yeast, Southern German lager yeast and now mainly Diamond Lager yeast and never a hint of sulphur like back in days of old so no problems there.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Sorry Shamus, I missed this post.  I have not had a sulphury odour since I last used S-23 lager yeast back in March 2020.  It was a shocker and a brewery stinker that's for sure.

Since then have used Dubbya, Coopers Euro kit lager yeast. Copenhagen Lager yeast, Southern German lager yeast and now mainly Diamond Lager yeast and never a hint of sulphur like back in days of old so no problems there.

The sulphur I noticed came from a Diamond Lager yeast fermenting at 25°C and under 15psi.  It was not noticeable in the final beers.  I did 3 dirty batches with the one packet of yeast.

• Like 3

A second crack at a Voss-fermented Cascade PA.  Cooking this one at 35ºC.  First one was nice enough but for some reason ended up quite dark.  This version is looking much closer to the colour I was expecting.   

20 litre stove-top AG batch - Gladfield malts,  bittered with Sticklebract and then 100g Cascade for aroma and flavour:

IMG_20220916_133001.jpg

• Like 6

Dropped 1.2kg of Morello Cherries into the Blackforest Porter on Monday night.

Strained the liquid from the jars.  Crushed the cherries with a potato masher.  Put them in the freezer for 36 hours.  Put them into a pot and re-added the liquid from the jars.  Boiled for 5 minutes.  Cooled.  Poured the whole lot into a hop bag (paint strained bag).  Then added to the fermenter.  SG was 1.025.  Now about 1.019 and looked like finished.

I will start cold crashing in a bout 24 hours.  Should I put the cherries then or are they okay to leave until I keg/bottle later next week?

IMG_3233.JPG.e93fab429ef289ed3da1d8248e9b7c30.JPG

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Strained the liquid from the jars.  Crushed the cherries with a potato masher.  Put them in the freezer for 36 hours.  Put them into a pot and re-added the liquid from the jars.  Boiled for 5 minutes.  Cooled.  Poured the whole lot into a hop bag (paint strained bag).  Then added to the fermenter.  SG was 1.025.  Now about 1.019 and looked like finished.

I will start cold crashing in a bout 24 hours.  Should I put the cherries then or are they okay to leave until I keg/bottle later next week?

I've read Morello cherries contain antioxidants that help prevent gout. You could be brewing a superfood here, SOS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 9/16/2022 at 11:11 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Shamus, I haven’t added fruit yet but I would just leave them in the FV. One less time opening the lid, and they might add more flavor….

Not sure it could do any harm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 11:11 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sounds delicious.

I've always left fruit additions in to the end. Provided they don't block anything, I'd just leave them in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1