Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

On 8/4/2022 at 2:50 PM, DavidM said:

Island Toasted Coconut Porter

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/island-toasted-coconut-porter.html )

Thomas Coopers Devil's Half Ruby Porter (Can)

1.5k Light Dry Malt

300g Chocolate Malt

200g Dark Crystal Malt

25g Styrian Golding Hops

Steeped for 30 min's. Boiled for 10

Nottingham Yeast and a jar of slurry from a Bootmaker Ale. 

I'm a few days behind schedule but I'm sure it's not too late.

Cooked up the Coconut this morning, dropped it into a paint strainer bag and into the fermenter.

The smell off the Coconut spread through the house and I'm thinking "not sure I want this in the beer" but it is a Porter so I'm sure it will be fine. Will bottle next week and have a taste in September.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I'm a few days behind schedule but I'm sure it's not too late.

Cooked up the Coconut this morning, dropped it into a paint strainer bag and into the fermenter.

The smell off the Coconut spread through the house and I'm thinking "not sure I want this in the beer" but it is a Porter so I'm sure it will be fine. Will bottle next week and have a taste in September.  

You'll be right. It really is nice, especially in a porter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, MUZZY said:

I've just kegged the WW 2can lager experiment and had a little, pre-carbonated taste. It really needs a hops addition as it doesn't have much flavour. Not that it tastes bad, it's just the flavour isn't very strong.
As it was 2 cans of extract and nothing else the FG came in at 1.012 which gives it ABV of around 3.4%.
So if I was to do this again I'd add some extra dextrose and hops. I'm curious to see if it gets any better after carbonating.

I've had this beer on the gas for 2 days at 30psi. It's still a bit undercarbed but now that it has a little effervescence I can confidently tell you it's a $h1t beer. No flavour.
This won't stop me experimenting with these tins further but I now know they need pimping to make them drinkable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

I've had this beer on the gas for 2 days at 30psi. It's still a bit undercarbed but now that it has a little effervescence I can confidently tell you it's a $h1t beer. No flavour.
This won't stop me experimenting with these tins further but I now know they need pimping to make them drinkable.

IIRC, King Rudager (i can't find him in the tag list)  had made one of his fast home brew videos about the WW lager. One just as per recipe and another he pimped up. Oddly enough, the result was the bog standard one was better 🙂 

• Like 3

After 6 hours on the Dirty Pitch US05 Yeast Cake things are powering on... bit hard to see as there was a plenty frothy top on LHS - frothing by splashing to encourage oxygenation... and there is the big yeasty-scum band as well

Anyway I think it's visible on RHS that there is a bit going on -- and it does smell great... making it's own warmth now and at around 19 deg C... am hoping for a quick run this time so it's off to a reasonable start : )

image.thumb.png.5bc7523527848976a2a69d92e9f5c170.png

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Muzzy for what it's worth I had a Coopers Pale Ale (k & k) on 30psi for 24 hours & put it back to 12 & I was drinking it straight away.

Each day it got better & I am about to have another but the bloody keg seems to be leaking 🤣

Personally the WW brand probably works for some but I won't be using it as I think it is sub-standard.

I was told unofficially it is made by Morgan's by a guy who owns a brewery but I cannot confirm it.

So that's my two bob's worth. 🍻

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

You could try a keg hop to try and spice it up a bit? Another little experiment.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Popo said:

spice it up a bit?

Brainstorming further on that idea @Popo -- Muzzla @MUZZY -- save having the worry about stray hop material in your kegs clogging the pipes and fittings - instead - just tip in a bottle of Tabasco into each Plazzi Keggler : )

That'll be like "Matso's Chilli Beer probably the hottest in Beer the world" and far cheaper than buying it off Murph 🥳

image.png.d9db6699f028acec963d5a267ea890e7.png 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Brainstorming further on that idea @Popo -- Muzzla @MUZZY -- save having the worry about stray hop material in your kegs clogging the pipes and fittings - instead - just tip in a bottle of Tabasco into each Plazzi Keggler : )

That'll be like "Matso's Chilli Beer probably the hottest in Beer the world" and far cheaper than buying it off Murph 🥳

image.png.d9db6699f028acec963d5a267ea890e7.png 

Not that I'm against the idea, IP, but I don't have any Tabasco sauce on hand. However the plastic kegs come with these nifty little filters to help prevent hops blockages.

IMG_20220810_200639.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MUZZY said:

...I don't have any Tabasco sauce on hand. 

You should though 🙂 Every household should have some Tabasco sauce on hand. As a kid, my mum warned me that this was really hot and to keep away from it. Of course me being me, I had to try. Just slightly licked the open bottle and started spewing fire all over the place. Put me off that stuff for years. Nowadays, I splash some Tabasco into my mouth just because I see it in the fridge and feel like it 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

You should though 🙂 Every household should have some Tabasco sauce on hand. As a kid, my mum warned me that this was really hot and to keep away from it. Of course me being me, I had to try. Just slightly licked the open bottle and started spewing fire all over the place. Put me off that stuff for years. Nowadays, I splash some Tabasco into my mouth just because I see it in the fridge and feel like it 🙂 

I agree Tabasco is great, versatile & of course hot but used wisely it adds depth ( & heat ) to lot's of dishes.

For those whom maybe not aware they make a variety of other flavours with varying heat levels.

I always have some on hand & have tried some of the others & really like them.

Check out their website under recipes - they even have some hangover recipes which I thought was fitting on a Brewer's Forum 🤣 🌶️

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=fa73213c0d1e49faJmltdHM9MTY2MDE5OTcwMyZpZ3VpZD0yZmFiYTQ3OC0xYTc2LTQxZjAtODRkZi1iMGNhMTIxYzU5ODEmaW5zaWQ9NTI4Mg&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=bb3cd3ff-193f-11ed-9bff-ad2031f12788&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGFiYXNjby5jb20vaG90LXNhdWNlcy8&ntb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jennyss said:

I had a look, and some great recipes, new and old. I think I'll go retro and make some Devilled Eggs.

Awesome, I like them & lot's of others but don't forget the Bloody Mary !!

Jenny how is your brew going with the additions ? I would imagine you would have a bit of krausen action going by now & the brew should be starting to change colour to a light brown maybe a photo would be good.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:43 AM, jennyss said:

Brew No.8 now in the fermenter. My first brew with added extras!

The recipe is  1 x tin Coopers Australian Pale Ale Extract, 1 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt, 1 x 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer No.2 mixed with 2l hot water. Stirred vigorously and added warm and tap water to 22l, then added 'hop tea'  - 2 x 12g bags of Brigalow dried Galaxy hops steeped for 15 minutes in 2 cups boiling water.

You'll appreciate the extra fermentables & hops addition Jen. Just keep picking these guys brains like I have & you'll be all grain in a few months 😆

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, Aussiekraut said:

How about you steep the Carapils at 65C for 30 minutes, strain and boil the liquor with 20g of Hallertau for 15 minutes, cool it all and strain it into the FV, add your two cans of goo and ferment them using the W34/70 at 13C. Since it is only one pack and there is a fair bit of fermentables, I recommend making a starter for the yeast or pitch at 18C and drop to 13 after 12 hours. That might work. Once it hits 1.020, up it to 18C for a d-rest and let it finish, then drop temp 2-3C per day until you hit cold crash temps and leave it there for 5 days or so. If bottling, let it sit for 2 weeks to carb it, then store cold for 2 weeks if you can. If you keg, hook it up to gas and leave it for 3-4 weeks, 6 if possible. That should give you some decent lager. 

Noice AK. Thanks for the step by step. I don't have a brew fridge but the spare room rarely gets above 10° this time of year. Just the 20grm of Hallertau then, no dry hopping? Yes only bottling. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

you'll be all grain in a few months

Haha @JoeB7 there's plenty of positive incremental steps forward for amazing great brews and pretty simple processes with lovely Coopers Kits and ingredients before yer start milling your own malted grains ; )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeB7 said:

the spare room rarely gets above 10° this time of year

Easy Peasy @JoeB7 so much better in cold climes... no need for a fridge if ambient is freeeeezing : )

An Inkbird Temp Controller and a Heat Belt and if while are in a cold environment don't need a fridge - just a bit of warming capacity...

What was that lovely heat belt @Mickep or @RDT2 Rd you guys had going that was a beaut? Double strip band type thing.

And yeah I sorta think for temp control an Inkbird with or without Bluetooth is pretty good standard stuff....

You may like to be able to do the Lager Protocol and change the temp Remotely too... I am just a simple peasant and walk out the little kitch to the entry way and change the controller manually : )

https://inkbird.com/collections/temperature-controllers

Going to my bro's soon & want to do my first all grain in his grainfather/robobrew thingy & bring it home as a 'wet pack' to ferment/bottle myself.  Have a bunnings cube for transport but any advice on cooling/settling it pre travel or just let it chill in the back of the ute for the 2 hour trip home?

We're talking Canberra temps at the moment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

Going to my bro's soon & want to do my first all grain in his grainfather/robobrew thingy & bring it home as a 'wet pack' to ferment/bottle myself.  Have a bunnings cube for transport but any advice on cooling/settling it pre travel or just let it chill in the back of the ute for the 2 hour trip home?

We're talking Canberra temps at the moment.

Let it chill and pitch it the next day when at ferment temp!

• Like 2