Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

Busy day in the Brauhaus. The Brewzilla is still in the box, maybe coming out next weekend. So still some K+K and KnB. Old Smugglers Ale, Blueberry Cider and Coopers Vintage Ale 22. They all will be ready a different time, so no stress bottling it all. Also the weather conditions here in Sydney seem to be perfect for fermentation without temperature control. In any case the heatbelt and cooling bag are ready.  

IMG_3520.JPG

• Like 9

COOPERS DRAUGHT

The Coopers Draught is in it's wee house for the next 2 weeks SG 1.044, I am making this for an afternoon with a few mates whom as I said yesterday are megaswill drinkers, I will hop it just in case I want a try of it but most of them won't come at Hoppy Pales/IPA's etc.

Apart from drinking out of the tap at the Pub, all apart from one always buy Great Northern, XXXX, TED's & rubbish like that.

Josh the Pilot is a little more adventurous & dinks Carlton Draught, he has tried some out of the tap at my place & ordered this Draught so I hope they like it.

I am fermenting this at 20c & will CC for a couple of days before kegging it.

20221010_110540.thumb.jpg.b4731b6ebd21fcc1b0ad18a098b93d86.jpg

• Like 8

I forgot to test the OG of my Coopers Draught on Day 1 in the fermenter. On Day 3 the SG is down to 1009 already! First time we have tried this extract. It tasted quite promising - no fruity or 'off' tastes, quite strong and bitter, but not sharp. But we won't be bottling for at least another 10 days. Here's hoping.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

I forgot to test the OG of my Coopers Draught on Day 1 in the fermenter. On Day 3 the SG is down to 1009 already! First time we have tried this extract. It tasted quite promising - no fruity or 'off' tastes, quite strong and bitter, but not sharp. But we won't be bottling for at least another 10 days. Here's hoping.

It will be OK Jenny, we have all forgotten to take readings from time to time, it sounds like you have it sorted. It sounds sorta low but it would depend on the fermentables you have included. Kepp us posted, Cheers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

I feel I can't post the dirty batch FWK's pouring into the FV on the BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022 thread so here it is here. 😃

Another Cloud 9 Hazy pale and a Grain and Grape Draught. 

Those cubes are great aren't they Mick, I still can't bring myself to whack in a fresh brew into a 'dirty' fermenter, just doesn't sound right yet obviously works. Maybe one day I may try it.

• Like 2

The big Kegmenter has 44 L of LL at end of cold crash and nearly ready to transfer into 2 kegs.  Coopers FV #2 has COPA ver 3.0 at start of cold crash.  Fermzilla 27 L has the second 150 lashes clone BD+2.  Coopers FV #1 has Coopers Sparkling Ale ver 3.0 just pitched today.

Yeah, I know, party is at my place soon. 😆

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 3

On 10/13/2022 at 3:21 PM, Mickep said:

I feel I can't post the dirty batch FWK's pouring into the FV on the BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022 thread so here it is here. 😃

Another Cloud 9 Hazy pale and a Grain and Grape Draught. 

310713882_536467641548171_8183112045975134747_n.jpg

311228370_475322907695139_315628482888914942_n.jpg

310015329_1930150480515679_6928920175179696459_n.jpg

Okay - this is from 2 days ago. Top shelf in the FV fridge is a dirty batch poured straight on top of the yeast cake of the previous batch....the KL FWK Cloud Nine Hazy PA which I'd complained about on another thread - tasting "Chemically" or some such after having swapped the dry hops from Eclipse to Mosaic.....The last batch showed no sign of infection and did not smell "off"

I've take a photo of this latest dirty batch (picture above on the top shelf of the fridge) 2 days later...and I've not seen anything quite like this before now....it's a 5% ABV brew and I've never seen a Krausen like this previously.

Any thought's - Normal?  

310352511_506577061333980_3443479667477693059_n.jpg

309580763_508040610888790_2205444030539142229_n.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Okay - this is from 2 days ago. Top shelf in the FV fridge is a dirty batch poured straight on top of the yeast cake of the previous batch....the KL FWK Cloud Nine Hazy PA which I'd complained about on another thread - tasting "Chemically" or some such after having swapped the dry hops from Eclipse to Mosaic.....The last batch showed no sign of infection and did not smell "off"

I've take a photo of this latest dirty batch (picture above on the top shelf of the fridge) 2 days later...and I've not seen anything quite like this before now....it's a 5% ABV brew and I've never seen a Krausen like this previously.

Any thought's - Normal?  

310352511_506577061333980_3443479667477693059_n.jpg

309580763_508040610888790_2205444030539142229_n.jpg

I would hazard a guess at a very vigorous fermentation due to putting over a yeast cake thats multiplied due to the first brew, like a big yeast starter.

Probably be finished pretty quick. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I would hazard a guess at a very vigorous fermentation due to putting over a yeast cake thats multiplied due to the first brew, like a big yeast starter.

Probably be finished pretty quick. 

I should have said PM, that this was the 4th Dirty batch - so yeah maybe just going off like you've said.....Have to be careful it's pretty close to the top of the lid. 😂

• Haha 1

I've currently got a hybrid Bathroom Coopers Pale Ale/Woollies Lager light beer on the go. I've bottled the Pale Ale and then added a can of ready to go Woollies Lager onto the Pale Ale yeast cake. Have made the same before and found that with the Pale Ale dregs and with no other additions to the Woollies Lager, it adds a bit of a fruity flavor and makes a cheap and easy drinking light beer. I also have liked using the yeast cake on other occasion's because it saves on a lot of cleaning between brews, and that the brews ferment out a lot quicker than with a small packet of yeast.

Bathroom Lager.jpg

• Like 5

Today I split a can of Coopers Draught (first time I have ever used this can) and a can of Coopers Light Malt Extract plus a hot steep of 400g of Carapils between two 10 litre batches. 

One I left plain and threw a spare Coopers Golden Crown Lager yeast at it.  I was even going to leave the Carapils out of that one, to really test what this basic brew tastes like.  In the end I thought, no, it will benefit from the head retention that the Carapils will bring.  I will also brew this at 18°C under 15psi.

The second had a hot steep of 25g of Galaxy added to the fermenter.  Just used the Coopers Draught Yeast that came with the can.  I will also add a 25g dry hop with Galaxy later in the ferment.  This one is in the Craft FV beside the other one and will be done at 18°C too, but without pressure.

Sanitised FV's waiting to be filled.  Hop steep sitting in cold water bath to cool.

IMG_3281.JPG.fcff722c173405f2fc651ee6bb79a3cd.JPG

FV's safely packed in the temperature controlled fridge.

IMG_3282.JPG.9c7c8d821228ed691446bda918135bad.JPG

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Today I split a can of Coopers Draught (first time I have ever used this can) and a can of Coopers Light Malt Extract plus a hot steep of 400g of Carapils between two 10 litre batches. 

One I left plain and threw a spare Coopers Golden Crown Lager yeast at it.  I was even going to leave the Carapils out of that one, to really test what this basic brew tastes like.  In the end I thought, no, it will benefit from the head retention that the Carapils will bring.  I will also brew this at 18°C under 15psi.

The second had a hot steep of 25g of Galaxy added to the fermenter.  Just used the Coopers Draught Yeast that came with the can.  I will also add a 25g dry hop with Galaxy later in the ferment.  This one is in the Craft FV beside the other one and will be done at 18°C too, but without pressure.

Sanitised FV's waiting to be filled.  Hop steep sitting in cold water bath to cool.

IMG_3281.JPG.fcff722c173405f2fc651ee6bb79a3cd.JPG

FV's safely packed in the temperature controlled fridge.

IMG_3282.JPG.9c7c8d821228ed691446bda918135bad.JPG

Hey SOS, the brew in the pressure fermenter looks lighter in colour. Is that the case or just the way it appears in the photo?

I like your experiment, looking forward to hearing about the tasting 👍👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Hey SOS, the brew in the pressure fermenter looks lighter in colour. Is that the case or just the way it appears in the photo?

I like your experiment, looking forward to hearing about the tasting 👍👍

I see what you mean, Tone.  They should be pretty close.  I just mixed up the grain steep water and the two cans, with some water.  Then split equally between the 2 FV's.  Maybe the apparent colour difference is just a trick of the light.  Could be because one FV is clear PET and the other is an opaque Coopers FV.

I am looking forward to the tasting comparison too.

• Like 4

Dropped two cubes of LL wort into the 58 L Kegmenter this evening, first dirty batch on top of previous DL yeast cake from LL batch AG#40.  It will be pressure fermented at 18 C and 15 psi to be ready and lagered for Christmas party/s drinking.

LL AG#48 first dirty batch going in - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 9

Brew No. 12 now in the fermenter: A Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract mixed with Coopers Brew Enhancer No.2 and 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt. 

Steeped 1x12g 'tea bag' Brigalow Galaxy hop pellets and 15g Mangrove Jack Gold Cluster pellets in 2 cups boiling water. For the Cluster pellets I made a bag from sterilised Chux tied with carpet cotton. Added the pellets and steep water and brought the brew up to 23L. 

Unfortunately we added too much warm water at the start, and the brew started at 24/26 deg! I rushed in a floor fan, wet towel and ice bricks and 30 minutes later the brew is down to 20/22 deg - phew!

SG 1047

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Brew No. 12 now in the fermenter: A Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract mixed with Coopers Brew Enhancer No.2 and 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt. 

Steeped 1x12g 'tea bag' Brigalow Galaxy hop pellets and 15g Mangrove Jack Gold Cluster pellets in 2 cups boiling water. For the Cluster pellets I made a bag from sterilised Chux tied with carpet cotton. Added the pellets and steep water and brought the brew up to 23L. 

Unfortunately we added too much warm water at the start, and the brew started at 24/26 deg! I rushed in a floor fan, wet towel and ice bricks and 30 minutes later the brew is down to 20/22 deg - phew!

SG 1047

Just like a real pro @jennyss things seem to be running a lot smoother for you now, well done 🏆

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jennyss said:

SG 1047

Good to see you are experimenting with ingredients. and all. The "I'll keep it simple" approach doesn't last too long before curiosity takes over, does it? 🙂 Good on ya.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, jennyss said:

SG 1047

Good work Jenny. That’ll turn out nice I reckon. 
Cheers

• Like 1