Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

K&K Coopers Pale Ale steeped with Mosaic (thought I’d try this hop again)

500g Light Malt 

Closed Dry Hop with 20g Simcoe, Amarillo & Citra with magnets (this method seems to work well)

Re-harvested Lally Nottingham Ale Yeast, going nuts currently. 
‘Fermenting at 20 degrees 

2319352F-21BE-4FA9-9561-C390F42DB6BF.jpeg

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Best move I've made so far is culture the coopers yeast. It makes a big difference and the resulting brew is a lot cleaner than the kit yeast. The only other yeast I have tried is US-05 which turns out great also. I've got a dozen coopers australian pale ale in botlles, the only trouble is will they make it for 2 months to mature? 😂

I calculate it from the scale on the hydrometer, which seems to be different from other calculators. Yeah I get the same results, 3.5-4%.

One of the reasons I got on this site was to watch the video on how to RE-Use the commercial yeast. I have not done so yet due to not having a whole lot of standing room for my long necks in the fridge. Also the yeast gives the beer its unique flavor and I would have to sacrifice 4 tall ones to get a brew. I will defiantly try it soon though.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

One of the reasons I got on this site was to watch the video on how to RE-Use the commercial yeast. I have not done so yet due to not having a whole lot of standing room for my long necks in the fridge. Also the yeast gives the beer its unique flavor and I would have to sacrifice 4 tall ones to get a brew. I will defiantly try it soon though.

I would definitely recommend it, culture the yeast until it grows to roughly 1/4 cup or less. Rehydrating a packet of US-05 and culturing it grows to a bit less than 1/4 of a cup.  For me, that pitch rate produces a really clean beer with barely noticeable kit twang. For me it is a fast fermenter, done in 2-3 days and compacts well. Hopefully I can learn more about this yeast through other's experiences.

IMG_0343.JPG.c7ca3a768ed4203d07a23447c69726b4.JPG

Don't mind my dodgy yeast storage method 😆

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Best move I've made so far is culture the coopers yeast. It makes a big difference and the resulting brew is a lot cleaner than the kit yeast. The only other yeast I have tried is US-05 which turns out great also. I've got a dozen coopers australian pale ale in botlles, the only trouble is will they make it for 2 months to mature? 😂

I calculate it from the scale on the hydrometer, which seems to be different from other calculators. Yeah I get the same results, 3.5-4%.

Yeah the Coopers yeast is fantastic. I use a specific yeast for each style but if I could have only one yeast to use on everything then the Coopers yeast would be what I would choose. Pitch a lot of yeast and ferment at 18c and you get a really clean beer. Decrease the pitch rate and ferment at 20c and you get a beer with some esters. Very flexible yeast.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Cheap Charlie I haven't gone into it that far so I'm unsure of what you have done. I thought to video method you end up with a 1.5 liter starter or something? Doesn't look dodgy at all, if it works it works.

I believe I put the yeasties into a 1L starter with 1 cup of LDME, was enough to double the yeast. Initially I followed the directions from Coopers DIY. Better to listen to them than me, they're the experts. Check out the video to start off with like you said. Cheers.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, jennyss said:

That is a very good article from Ireland@Classic Brewing Co, have a read all you fellow extract brewers

Thank you @jennyss I am glad you think so, it is pretty much the basics of the homebrew process.

Technology& advanced brewing methods have modified it somewhat, but it is how you make porridge.

Cheers & happy brewing.

• Like 3

SG test 3 days after pitching the pale ale, sitting in the low 1.030s at the moment down from 1.050. I expected it wouldn't be much lower given it was pitched at 11 degrees and took about a day to warm up in there. I'll raise the controller to 21 tomorrow arvo and let it come up, and add polyclar on Saturday, and in the keg the following Saturday 👍

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 4

Boiling some Victoria Secret Hops to strain, cool then add to the FV, I quite like the subtle flavour it gives to Pales/Draught/Ales etc. Below is the expert's description.

Vic Secret is a dual-purpose hop that can be used in all hop additions throughout the brewing process.

Vic Secret is an Australian hop known for its bright tropical character of pineapple, pine, and passion fruit. Other aroma descriptors include tropical fruit, pine and herbs. It displays a more earthy character when added late in the boil but is now commonly added as a whirlpool or dry hop in IPAs. Its flavors are similar to Galaxy hops but are lighter in nature.

20221114_113539.thumb.jpg.6119bb21439cb00de955356943f95ff3.jpg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Boiling some Victoria Secret Hops to strain, cool then add to the FV, I quite like the subtle flavour it gives to Pales/Draught/Ales etc. Below is the expert's description.

Vic Secret is a dual-purpose hop that can be used in all hop additions throughout the brewing process.

Vic Secret is an Australian hop known for its bright tropical character of pineapple, pine, and passion fruit. Other aroma descriptors include tropical fruit, pine and herbs. It displays a more earthy character when added late in the boil but is now commonly added as a whirlpool or dry hop in IPAs. Its flavors are similar to Galaxy hops but are lighter in nature.

Can also have a very high alpha acid but sure you know that, just checking as I had some that were 21%ish and they were really fresh! Your house would smell amazing right now 😋 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RDT2 said:

Can also have a very high alpha acid but sure you know that, just checking as I had some that were 21%ish and they were really fresh!

Yes but that would be maximum & this is only 30-40 min boil, I am drinking a Draught currently & it is nice. I would have paired with some others but low stocks ATM.

Vic Secret Hops: Substitution, Flavor, Aroma - Beer …

• Like 2

English Bitter (sort off)

English Bitter can & 1k of Light dry Malt

100g Chocklate Malt 100g Dark Crystal Malt 300g Light Crystal  Malt Steeped for 30 minutes.

15g of Golding and Mosaic Hops. Let them sit for 20 minutes after the steep.

With dry hop late with the same hops and amount.

See how it turns out around Christmas 🙂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Are you growing your own or did you buy them like that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Are you growing your own or did you buy them like that?

A friend of mine known as @Marksmans Gift does & he gave me some, they are very nice, I am pretty sure he won't mind me sharing this photo. He lives very close to me & we catch up for beers when he can.

I will try growing some in the new year.

image.thumb.png.a593283f316f532870053675add34b68.png

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A friend of mine known as @Marksmans Gift does & he gave me some, they are very nice, I am pretty sure he won't mind me sharing this photo. He lives very close to me & we catch up for beers when he can.

I will try growing some in the new year.

image.thumb.png.a593283f316f532870053675add34b68.png

Not so long ago you werent keen on kegging and all grain, now here you are using fresh hop buds!! 😀

• Haha 1