Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

12 hours ago, kmar92 said:

This brew has me scratching my head. It is an AG brew and I was attempting to clone a Theakstone's Old Peculier. I just did it with what was on hand so it is not completely true to an Old Peculier recipe. That said I think that it should be a fairly close.

https://share.brewfather.app/bs8uwYZ31jFZPZ

The brewday went well and the brew met all the predicted gravities from Brewfather. Yeast is Lallemand London ESB and it took off like a frog in a sock and went from c.1.060 down to 1.022 in 24 hours and then it just parked up. Now at day 5 it has been stable for 4 days, I reckon that it has stalled. I am thinking to add some Nottingham and see if it starts up again.

Anyone have any thoughts?

A quick google on that yeast stalling and it is quite common and by the looks of it that yeast has done what it can and is finished

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

A quick google on that yeast stalling and it is quite common and by the looks of it that yeast has done what it can and is finished

The yeast specs from Lallemand quote the attenuation range of London ESB as 65% - 72% so mine is short of that. I have spoken with others that have used this yeast and they have not had the underattenuation problem that I have experienced, so I am still scratching my head. Anyway the Nottingham has been pitched and I will see if that helps.

• Like 2

Just put down an Irish stout 

1 can of Coopers Irish Stout 

250g chocolate malt steeped for 30 minutes Boiled for 15 minutes 

2 kilo's of dark dry malt 

Nottingham yeast pitched at 20c OG 1062 hopefully I can keep it around 19c

Let's see how the Nottingham attacks this one Sleeping bag will go on tonight.

20230719_181030.thumb.jpg.853c674814100e30360ac4c0ec6ead81.jpg

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Just put down an Irish stout 

1 can of Coopers Irish Stout 

250g chocolate malt steeped for 30 minutes Boiled for 15 minutes 

2 kilo's of dark dry malt 

Nottingham yeast pitched at 20c OG 1062 hopefully I can keep it around 19c

Let's see how the Nottingham attacks this one Sleeping bag will go on tonight.

20230719_181030.thumb.jpg.853c674814100e30360ac4c0ec6ead81.jpg

From my experience, in a dark ale, Notty goes off like a bride's nightie 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Kegory said:

Why Nottingham instead of another pack of the London ESB @kmar92 & @Shamus O'Sean? Not a suggestion, just curious.

Hi Kegory, My theories are:

• Nottingham has high alcohol tolerance.  Many yeasts will die if pitched into an alcohol rich environment.  Nottingham has a fighting chance. 
  • Plus Nottingham has a high attenuation.  Although that might not go so well with an ESB, the fact it has a high attenuation means it has got a good chance to get fermentation moving again.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

• Nottingham has high alcohol tolerance.  Many yeasts will die if pitched into an alcohol rich environment.  Nottingham has a fighting chance. 
  • Plus Nottingham has a high attenuation.  Although that might not go so well with an ESB, the fact it has a high attenuation means it has got a good chance to get fermentation moving again.

Thanks Shamus, that's very interesting. It sounds like it may be handy to always keep a sachet of Nottingham at hand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have just realised this although used it many times. I done very similar recepies only difference about a litre of water. 

Verdant IPA compared to Notto heaps lower fg and more alcohol from the Nottingham brew.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2023 at 10:39 AM, kmar92 said:

The yeast specs from Lallemand quote the attenuation range of London ESB as 65% - 72% so mine is short of that. I have spoken with others that have used this yeast and they have not had the underattenuation problem that I have experienced, so I am still scratching my head. Anyway the Nottingham has been pitched and I will see if that helps.

Any update on the pitching of Nottingham yeast 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Any update on the pitching of Nottingham yeast 

Yeah just about 2 1/2 days since I pitched the Nottingham and the result - nothing. Still 1.022. Possibly the wort lacked enough O2 for the Nottingham to get going, I don't really know. Not sure what I will do from here.

• Sad 2

On 7/19/2023 at 9:03 AM, kmar92 said:

@Kegory I don't have anymore London ESB in stock at present, hence using Nottingham instead.

I added the Nottingham about 12 hours ago so I will see how that goes.

What does it taste like does it taste sweet?

Well I've just had a similar problem brewed a stout OG 1062 after 4 days of it going like crazy it is doing nothing SG 1030 I pitched dry

I should have pitched 2 packets of Nottingham yeast from now on I am pitching 2 packets for a price of about $6 for the extra packet it is nothing in the scheme of things.

I am going to leave it for 10 days then keg it I may even bottle some

The recipe was for 25 litres but I only topped it to 23 litres

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Well I've just had a similar problem brewed a stout OG 1062 after 4 days of it going like crazy it is doing nothing SG 1030 I pitched dry

I should have pitched 2 packets of Nottingham yeast from now on I am pitching 2 packets for a price of about $6 for the extra packet it is nothing in the scheme of things.

I am going to leave it for 10 days then keg it I may even bottle some

The recipe was for 25 litres but I only topped it to 23 litres

Look out for a post in the stuff up section it will follow up from this 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

I had a Coopers Original Stout and a can of Amber Malt Extract.  Did a search of the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet and inspired somewhat by ChocLiqueur Stout, I mixed up what I call Coopers Choc Stout:

• Coopers Stout
  • Coopers Amber Malt Extract
  • 500g Light Dry Malt
  • 300g Chocolate Malt grains (crushed and cold steeped 36 hours)
  • 2 x Coopers Original Series yeasts

Was aiming for an OG of 1.054, but got 1.052.  It should now come out around 5.1% ABV in a keg, 5.5% bottle primed.

IMG_3826.JPG.78ef0c7602bb475d5091ef38bfe4415b.JPG

• Like 11

Just an update on my previous posts regarding my stuck fermentation of my Theakston's Old Peculier clone. After adding the Nottingham yeast in order to get the ferment going again, which seemed to do little, I just left the ferment alone. Now after 14 days in the fermenter the brew has crept down very slowly from where it seemed to park up at 1.022, to be today at around 1.018. So that is just a point above the predicted FG from Brewfather and within the attenuation range that Lallemand quotes for their London ESB yeast.

I am happy with that result, it just took some time, and I will probably start chilling the brew down tomorrow prior to kegging and cold conditioning. I am hoping to let it cold condition for sometime as I have read that a long conditioning is the best way to go with this style.

BF11.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Just an update on my previous posts regarding my stuck fermentation of my Theakston's Old Peculier clone. After adding the Nottingham yeast in order to get the ferment going again, which seemed to do little, I just left the ferment alone. Now after 14 days in the fermenter the brew has crept down very slowly from where it seemed to park up at 1.022, to be today at around 1.018. So that is just a point above the predicted FG from Brewfather and within the attenuation range that Lallemand quotes for their London ESB yeast.

I am happy with that result, it just took some time, and I will probably start chilling the brew down tomorrow prior to kegging and cold conditioning. I am hoping to let it cold condition for sometime as I have read that a long conditioning is the best way to go with this style.

BF11.jpg

Sounds like a good outcome.  I guess we will never know for sure if it was the London ESB finally rekicking in or the Notto taking over or maybe a bit of both.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kmar92 said:

BF11.jpg

Dropped another point in 24 hours, now down to 1.017. I am wondering how much longer it will keep dropping.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Dropped another point in 24 hours, now down to 1.017. I am wondering how much longer it will keep dropping.

IMHO I’d leave it another week in the FV mate😉

I wouldn’t bother cold crashing it either as it’s a dark brew. But I would leave it 2 to 3 months in the keg for sure. 
Having said that, my last one went a bit sour. The one I made previously, which I was particularly happy with, was from my brief foray into BIAB. I only stopped BIAB as I couldn’t source a decent-sized pot and thought bu**er this, I’ll go full on AG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, stquinto said:

I wouldn’t bother cold crashing it either as it’s a dark brew. But I would leave it 2 to 3 months in the keg for sure. 
Having said that, my last one went a bit sour. The one I made previously, which I was particularly happy with, was from my brief foray into BIAB. I only stopped BIAB as I couldn’t source a decent-sized pot and thought bu**er this, I’ll go full on AG

Way to go Stquinta, AG is much better, you can drink it earlier also costs more, more work & you are always buying stuff. 🤣

But I enjoy it much more than any extract brew.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stquinto said:

Yeah thanks. I will leave it for a day or 2 and see what happens with the gravity. I chill all my beers before kegging, either to cold crash or just to take some pressure off the kegerator by letting the full sized brew fridge do the work rather than the smaller kegerator. I do agree though that this beer does not need crashing for clarity.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 2