Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

On 12/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, Cheap Charlie said:

Beermonster.thumb.jpeg.88c1429cc97ad068da719957d6d3084c.jpeg

Beermonster High Flying Sabro American Pale Ale FWK

This from the boys at the LHBS Slacks Creek. It seems they have just started making FWK's, so looking forward to trying this one 👍🏻

@Cheap Charlie A bit too much air in those cubes for my liking.  Presumably you have to add water when you tip this cube into the FV to get the right % ABV so I would have preferred the brewer topped up the cube to the brim with boiling water before sealing it.   Then give instructions of less water into the FV when pitching.  Do the cubes have a date of brew on them?  What L size is that cube?   

Shipped to you with that much air I suspect it has a very short shelf life / BBD.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Cheap Charlie A bit too much air in those cubes for my liking.  Presumably you have to add water when you tip this cube into the FV to get the right % ABV so I would have preferred the brewer topped up the cube to the brim with boiling water before sealing it.   Then give instructions of less water into the FV when pitching.  Do the cubes have a date of brew on them?  What L size is that cube?   

Shipped to you with that much air I suspect it has a very short shelf life / BBD.

It was about 20L in there, so I just brewed it as is, no extra water. SG was actually 1.061, not 1.068 as stated. I thought the same about shelf life, but they hadn't been sitting there that long so I thought wth I will try it. They only had a few there, apparently their first trial run which is also why I jumped at it. There was no date of brew on the label. It smelled ok and tasted ok when I chucked it in the FV, so I will see how it goes.

• Like 3

Hey Brew Dudes,

I have my take on the Bootmaker Beer O'Clock Pale Ale. Been in the fermenter for one week. Hopped with Galaxy at a 5 minute boil in steeped garin wort, will dry hop on Wednesday with Galaxy and Citra, cold crash on Saturday and keg the following Tuesday.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

• Like 6

Put my pilsner in the fermenter yesterday morning before I headed to the olds for the arvo. OG was about 1.047 and got the full 21 litres in. Once the inkbird settled it was sitting at 10.7 degrees, fermenting at 11.5. I pre chilled the cube overnight. SG check on Saturday to see how it's going and will probably raise it to 18 then. 

I had planned on doing the red ale batch today but a ridiculous storm a couple of weeks ago managed to cause water to tumble over the gutters and right onto the drill battery charger (I turned off the main wall switch as soon as I noticed it and left it off for several days, so nothing burnt down or anything), so the one that was on it is stuffed, I'm currently charging the other one that stayed dry but it won't be done in time to get it started today without finishing in darkness and I can't be bothered doing that, so the next opportunity will either be Saturday or next Tuesday. I'm going out for new year's so no golf Saturday, probably be a good way to pass the time. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Nothing yet, AG batch tomorrow, but bought an early birthday present from the LHBS whilst there to get grain.

‘Got a spare fermenting fridge so set this up nicely to pressure ferment my brew, which will be Balter XPA Clone. 
Already had the spundy so nabbed the fermenter for $50.

Have completed a pressure test on it and all is good, ready to go. 
‘Brew on. 😜😜

223F9B65-E2EA-498D-85DC-D97CFC13F5E6.jpeg

• Like 8

Today I put down a Mangrove Jacks Pils recipe No. 6 that someone gave me for Christmas.

Ignored the instructions which said a kilo of brew enhancer or 1.2kg of pure malt enhancer.

And added 500 grams dextrose, 500 grams LDME & 250 grams Maltodextrin. I'm not sure what a kilo of brew enhancer is, but maybe I'm close to it anyhow?

Added all that to the goo. Then gave it a good stir (as mentioned in another thread during the week) and added the yeast.

i was a little disappointed to find the  yeast supplied wasn't proper lager yeast, so I put this in the fridge @20C.

It did say 18-20C, but I've found with some of these MJ kits they take a while to get going.

Hence the good stir and going for the upper limit on the temperature.

• Like 5

AG Balter XPA Hazy 

Transferred from Cube to Fermenter/Keg last night, starting to fire up. First time using this from Keg King so I’ll let you all know how it performs and do a review on it. 

‘Ferment under pressure at 15PSI@19 degrees, then when finished will serve from this also, I’ll give it a good 10 days or so then CC. 
Smells great and had a little sampler. 😋

‘ABV came in higher than I wanted at 1045, not that bothered really. 

207527BD-5C3A-4657-A680-7169CB3A5E4B.jpeg

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
On 8/10/2022 at 11:16 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's excellent, good on you, I always put the BE & Malt in first together & pour COLD water on it & it mixes easier then the extract rinsing out with hot water (wrapped in a towel) as you say the yeast will find any lumps.

Cheers

Oh, is it like gravy mix, i.e. it mixes easier in cold water but tends to go lumpy in hot water?

I'm making brew 002, btw, and got a lot of malt clumping having followed the instructions to mix it with hot water. I jumped on the search bar as I was pretty sure I wouldn't be the first to experience that.

5 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Oh, is it like gravy mix, i.e. it mixes easier in cold water but tends to go lumpy in hot water?

I'm making brew 002, btw, and got a lot of malt clumping having followed the instructions to mix it with hot water. I jumped on the search bar as I was pretty sure I wouldn't be the first to experience that.

The yeast will take care of that so don't worry about the clumps too much, however it is best to mix it as much as you can, I like to get a good swirl going changing direction a few times. Cold, hot, warm probably doesn't make much difference really but I have always had better results with cold water.

All the best with it.

• Thanks 1

Draught, (will check the brand tomorrow).

Picked up a few Clearance items from Mount Barker, $10 cans of goop!

200g Carapils, steeped for 30 min. (while I was bottling a Pale Ale brew)

200g Maltodextrin, 1.2k Light Dry Malt (about 3L of water, Swirl the fermenter)

30g Pride of Ringwood hops, boiled for 5 (sat in a tub of water to cool a bit, the steep, not me)

Added the Can of Draught, (swirl and stir the fermenter)

Strained the Carapils and Hops into the Fermenter and topped up to 21L (stirring as the water goes in)

Add the can yeast and stir

Set in the brew fridge at 21 deg.

Easy!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Draught, (will check the brand tomorrow).

Picked up a few Clearance items from Mount Barker, $10 cans of goop!

200g Carapils, steeped for 30 min. (while I was bottling a Pale Ale brew)

200g Maltodextrin, 1.2k Light Dry Malt (about 3L of water, Swirl the fermenter)

30g Pride of Ringwood hops, boiled for 5 (sat in a tub of water to cool a bit, the steep, not me)

Added the Can of Draught, (swirl and stir the fermenter)

Strained the Carapils and Hops into the Fermenter and topped up to 21L (stirring as the water goes in)

Add the can yeast and stir

Set in the brew fridge at 21 deg.

Easy!

This is the 2022 thread. You may be looking for the 2023 thread. I bumped this one up after searching for information on clumping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kegory said:

This is the 2022 thread. You may be looking for the 2023 thread. I bumped this one up after searching for information on clumping.

Never noticed

Oh well, it was an old Brew!

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

This brew has me scratching my head. It is an AG brew and I was attempting to clone a Theakstone's Old Peculier. I just did it with what was on hand so it is not completely true to an Old Peculier recipe. That said I think that it should be a fairly close.

https://share.brewfather.app/bs8uwYZ31jFZPZ

The brewday went well and the brew met all the predicted gravities from Brewfather. Yeast is Lallemand London ESB and it took off like a frog in a sock and went from c.1.060 down to 1.022 in 24 hours and then it just parked up. Now at day 5 it has been stable for 4 days, I reckon that it has stalled. I am thinking to add some Nottingham and see if it starts up again.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Like 1

It is showing 4.7% ABV, the projected ABV is 5.6% so it is a fair way short at present. The attenuation achieved so far by the yeast is only 61%, which is pretty low. I was expecting that the attenuation would have been 72% with this yeast.

10 hours ago, kmar92 said:

This brew has me scratching my head. It is an AG brew and I was attempting to clone a Theakstone's Old Peculier. I just did it with what was on hand so it is not completely true to an Old Peculier recipe. That said I think that it should be a fairly close.

https://share.brewfather.app/bs8uwYZ31jFZPZ

The brewday went well and the brew met all the predicted gravities from Brewfather. Yeast is Lallemand London ESB and it took off like a frog in a sock and went from c.1.060 down to 1.022 in 24 hours and then it just parked up. Now at day 5 it has been stable for 4 days, I reckon that it has stalled. I am thinking to add some Nottingham and see if it starts up again.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Certainly hit a wall on 15 July.  Looks like the Lallemand London ESB has ran out of puff.  It is described as medium attenuation, but I have never used it to be able to compare with.

I can see you have already bumped up the temperature a couple of times to try to get it moving along.  Maybe it has just done all that it can.  

Nottingham is a good option to try to get it down a bit further.

• Like 1