Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

1 minute ago, jennyss said:

Thanks for that link @Classic Brewing Co. That is a very interesting article about Galaxy hops.

Cheers Jenny, in SA at BIG W Galaxy is the only Hop available in 12gm packets with a tea bag (muslin with a draw string) & at $4.50 it is an expensive way to buy them, 50gm - 100 gm won't really cost you that much more at a LHBS, maybe $8-$10.

The reason Brigalow hops are the only ones available at BIG W is they are one of the most popular. Cheers.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 8:29 AM, MUZZY said:

It's experiment time! This here is a Woolies "Larger" Toucan. Mixed yesterday to 27 litres.

Nothing else added apart from the 2 tins, water and yeast. Keeping it simple for my first attempt so I can determine what it might need for future attempts ie. hops, malt etc.

27 litres might sound high but for the sake of family harmony I try not to get my ABV over 5%. OG was 1.038. I'm not sure how accurate my hydrometer is.

Set ferment at 19C but it's currently sitting at pitching temperature of 21C. Fridge isn't plugged in so it's going to take a little time to get to 19. Figured there's no point plugging the fridge in when our current maximums are around 17C in Adelaide. Nature will do the cooling for me.

IMG20220731075246.jpg

I've just kegged the WW 2can lager experiment and had a little, pre-carbonated taste. It really needs a hops addition as it doesn't have much flavour. Not that it tastes bad, it's just the flavour isn't very strong.
As it was 2 cans of extract and nothing else the FG came in at 1.012 which gives it ABV of around 3.4%.
So if I was to do this again I'd add some extra dextrose and hops. I'm curious to see if it gets any better after carbonating.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I've just kegged the WW 2can lager experiment and had a little, pre-carbonated taste. It really needs a hops addition as it doesn't have much flavour. Not that it tastes bad, it's just the flavour isn't very strong.
As it was 2 cans of extract and nothing else the FG came in at 1.012 which gives it ABV of around 3.4%.
So if I was to do this again I'd add some extra dextrose and hops. I'm curious to see if it gets any better after carbonating.

@MUZZY Muz, I've got 2 cans of the WW's lager in the brew cupboard, a stack of DLME and a couple of tins of Liquid malt extract ......I've got left-over hops everywhere to. I might do a couple of brews using these ingredients as well. Can't hurt, it's still going to make beer. 😉🍻 Hey Muz out of curiosity which yeast did you use ?  I was thinking of turning mine into an Aussie bitter sort of style using an ale yeast.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mickep said:

@MUZZY Muz, I've got 2 cans of the WW's lager in the brew cupboard, a stack of DLME and a couple of tins of Liquid malt extract ......I've got left-over hops everywhere to. I might do a couple of brews using these ingredients as well. Can't hurt, it's still going to make beer. 😉🍻 Hey Muz out of curiosity which yeast did you use ?  I was thinking of turning mine into an Aussie bitter sort of style using an ale yeast.

I just used the 2 x 5g kit yeasts and I don't know what type of yeast that is. I've read comments about these WW tins and a lot of comments suggest to use different yeast. Being a renowned tightar$e I happily overlook these suggestions. 🙂 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Well Muzza it look's like a beer so it should pretty much taste like one !! 

I have never tried a WW's brew. The Big W closest to me doesn't stock it & I ain't driving around looking for it. I have an old mate that uses it & he offered me some once but I declined as he told me he used just white sugar to brew it, he is a real tightar.... so I knew what it would taste like. What you have done seems to be working so who knows.

• Like 1

1083607036_ALargerFrankenstein.thumb.jpg.a1ac1efadf83e1b4db5a659daac96665.jpg

Good morning brewers. The pic you see are of highly fermentable ingredients discovered secreted away in the bottom of the fridge. They can become toxic & cause great injury when combined improperly.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to suggest a 'toucan' with any or all use of what's in the pic without exposing yourself. That's right Jim, keep your pants on. Feel free to suggest some flavours (e.g 🐝🍯,🍁,🥥) but NO FRUIT.

This message will self destruct in 5 minutes.......................................💣.....after I taste the outcome. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Your probably the only one here that can wait that long, if you can 🤔

Well, sometimes I do sneak one at about 8 or 9 weeks to check how they are going. Lol  But with plenty in storage it's not an issue to wait 3 or 4 months.  Normally 6 months for the stout.  😋

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

Well, sometimes I do sneak one at about 8 or 9 weeks to check how they are going. Lol  But with plenty in storage it's not an issue to wait 3 or 4 months.  Normally 6 months for the stout.  😋

Well you have a good stock that's for sure. I keg as well so my bottle stock has dropped considerably & I don't bother with stubbies.

I use 500ml Hefe' bottles, 450ml Grolsch & 750ml Longnecks. Rarely do any of my bottle stock get last any more than 2 months, maybe 3 at the most & that would be Dark Ale or Stout.

Brew No.8 now in the fermenter. My first brew with added extras!

The recipe is  1 x tin Coopers Australian Pale Ale Extract, 1 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt, 1 x 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer No.2 mixed with 2l hot water. Stirred vigorously and added warm and tap water to 22l, then added 'hop tea'  - 2 x 12g bags of Brigalow dried Galaxy hops steeped for 15 minutes in 2 cups boiling water. Finally sprinkled the yeast over the top. Brew temp. is 20 deg. I'll have to turn the little heater on later to keep the room and brew to 20 deg.

The LDM was quite hard to stir in - lumps like honeycomb, but dissolved eventually. I hope the yeast is hungry! Thanks to Coopers Community members for your info and encouragement to take this next step.

Brew No.8.jpg

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 11

27 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Brew No.8 now in the fermenter. My first brew with added extras!

Wow!  Well done @jennyss that is Gold!

Am hoping that all works out really well for you as it is a great jump forward -- well done mate!!

A foray into some additional Coopers Liquid Malt might be the next opportunity haha! 🤔😀

Anyone would think that I worked in the Coopers Liquid Malt Plant but honestly it is just that after doing reasonable KnK for years it was a long time coming for me to try the extra liquid malts and it made a huge positive difference.  

But so will your extra LDM and BE2 - beautiful : )

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jennyss said:

The LDM was quite hard to stir in - lumps like honeycomb,

That's excellent, good on you, I always put the BE & Malt in first together & pour COLD water on it & it mixes easier then the extract rinsing out with hot water (wrapped in a towel) as you say the yeast will find any lumps.

Cheers

• Like 3

Dirty Backfill now done with the new Ale - you can see the old Kräussen "Bath Ring" line from the prior festive brew now in keg in keg freezer... seems bizarre filling fresh taschty Wort back into such a filthy old vessel - but it should be pretty sterile besides the yeast introduced - and the muck on the walls is just yeast and maybe a bit of beer protein and historically seems not to have negative effects... plus usually means the yeast fires up quick... and yeah... time to clean the Boil Kettle : \

But I think now this is Beer III on the first dry yeast sprinkle that will be enough... Wheat Ale-Pale Mozzie-Swift Sparkling Ale (SSA) - SSA cos I am hoping it goes quickly and can keg before a brewing mate visitor turns up ; ) Usually leave them longer for some FV conditioning but this one will be "Brewery Fresh" probably around seven days - only possible with dirty backfill and monster yeast-cake available ; )

image.thumb.png.681b8dc292898e7e0d62486002e29403.png

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 10:57 PM, JoeB7 said:

1083607036_ALargerFrankenstein.thumb.jpg.a1ac1efadf83e1b4db5a659daac96665.jpg

Good morning brewers. The pic you see are of highly fermentable ingredients discovered secreted away in the bottom of the fridge. They can become toxic & cause great injury when combined improperly.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to suggest a 'toucan' with any or all use of what's in the pic without exposing yourself. That's right Jim, keep your pants on. Feel free to suggest some flavours (e.g 🐝🍯,🍁,🥥) but NO FRUIT.

This message will self destruct in 5 minutes.......................................💣.....after I taste the outcome. 

How about you steep the Carapils at 65C for 30 minutes, strain and boil the liquor with 20g of Hallertau for 15 minutes, cool it all and strain it into the FV, add your two cans of goo and ferment them using the W34/70 at 13C. Since it is only one pack and there is a fair bit of fermentables, I recommend making a starter for the yeast or pitch at 18C and drop to 13 after 12 hours. That might work. Once it hits 1.020, up it to 18C for a d-rest and let it finish, then drop temp 2-3C per day until you hit cold crash temps and leave it there for 5 days or so. If bottling, let it sit for 2 weeks to carb it, then store cold for 2 weeks if you can. If you keg, hook it up to gas and leave it for 3-4 weeks, 6 if possible. That should give you some decent lager. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

How about

Nice work @Aussiekraut AK, nice work indeed : )

@JoeB7 JB7 mate you got a nice plan there... 👍

I have used one pack of Dubbya for years (not two) but whether my rainwater is more gentle on yeasts dunno but I reckon that the above plan from AK looks good!  I agree.. pitch at around 18 to get Dubbya going... 

• Like 1