Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@PaddyBrew2, to get the lid off the Fermzilla (pressure released) simply undo the top ring cap a couple of turns then before its screwed all the way off put a big flat blade screw driver under the lip of one of the SS ball lock connectors and gently pries the lid up using the ring cap edge for leverage.  Work alternatively from side to side.  This saves precious CO2.

Also when I dry hop, don’t take the lid off, (slowly pressure release) just undo the gas SS ball lock connector from the lid itself and using a funnel drop the hops in that way.  Re-fit and re-tighten the gas SS ball lock connector again then give the fermzilla a bit of a circular wobble to get hops to move around and settle into the beer.

Cheers - AL

Fantastic idea with the dry hopping. Genius. Cheers mate. 

To pop the lid though would the screwdriver feck up the threads over time if you're jimmying it ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Norris! said:

Yeah that is a cracker of a recipe. I use the base as my House pale ale, I picture it as a west coast ale. The west coast ales don't usually have wheat in em, but honestly it wouldn't hurt it, I love wheat and think it has a place in most beers and I have to try not to add it. If you do brew it let me know how it goes.

The only reason I haven't tossed it in is because my 2 other house ale recipes use a lot of wheat, so I kept it out of this one for a crisper and slightly more bitter mouthfeel and flavour. But like I said, I think it wouldn't hurt the beer one bit.

Do you or @Popotoss in any different hops? I mix and match for different flavours and sometimes add some choc malt to get it a little darker.  I also do a fwh with the 60 min...I haven't done a side by side to be able to tell if it makes a difference. I have tried to get all the bitterness from the F/O additions, bumped up some, that beer was good but I prefer these a little more bitter so kept the 1st addition going forward.

As you can tell keen to hear what you all do with this brew. Def one of my favourites from CPB especially when it is on sale for $29.99.

I reckon you are on the money with this one, Norris. I have only brewed it this once so have not changed it up at all but agree it would be a good base for this. I'll probably use it again. I'd like to up the late and dry hopping next time as I like a pretty strong hop presence and it will remain a bit longer as I get through the keg.

I had thought about going all flameout too. I've got one beer I do that with and like it - but I think you are right - this one is good with the firmer bite.

@MitchellScott let us know how the wheat goes. I really enjoy it in the beers I add some to.

@Shamus O'Sean I just check in to the website every now and then. They used to have recipes on sale every few weeks though they haven't had any on sale for some time now. Coronavirus demand related methinks.

Edited by Popo
  • Like 3

I am hoping to get out the BrewZilla tomorrow, if so, I'll do a 3 C's batch with some wheat and make sure I report how it turns out 🙂

As of yet, I haven't tried different hops. But, in the future I'd be keen to have a play with them - thinking some Amarillo/El Dorado might be nice....... Food for thought!

Mitch.

• Like 3

Springtime in Lithuania 

This is some Lithuanian yeast from Alex at Cheapyeast. @Alex CheapYeast

Its a saison recipe with this yeast. 
It’s really nice. Farmhouse but not funky which lets the hops shine through. 

fermented quickly between 20 and 24. 

Im sure if this becomes available it will be a nice summer style yeast for people without temp control. 

Thanks again Alex for allowing me to play with this strain. More to come when it gets a bit more springtime. 

404B0478-B5CB-48BE-AE6A-952027751296.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Last night I went out to the Murray Bridge Club - 1st time since all the lockdown stuff was imposed.

I had a Coopers Pale and Coopers stout black & tan, then a couple of Pales while the raffles were run.

Then I got the bus home (they run a pickup and drop off service) got changed into comfies and poured a HB XPA - the difference was stunning!  Smooth and tasty, it's the first time I've had such a direct comparison and I impressed myself with what I've made!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Popo said:

I reckon you are on the money with this one, Norris. I have only brewed it this once so have not changed it up at all but agree it would be a good base for this. I'll probably use it again. I'd like to up the late and dry hopping next time as I like a pretty strong hop presence and it will remain a bit longer as I get through the keg.

I had thought about going all flameout too. I've got one beer I do that with and like it - but I think you are right - this one is good with the firmer bite.

@MitchellScott let us know how the wheat goes. I really enjoy it in the beers I add some to.

@Shamus O'Sean I just check in to the website every now and then. They used to have recipes on sale every few weeks though they haven't had any on sale for some time now. Coronavirus demand related methinks.

I up the dry hop also, between 5g/l and 7g/l.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How do you know when this happens?  It sounds like an absolute bargain.

Yeah as Popo noted they will have it on the specials section of their page, but they have not done them in a while. I only buy their AG packs if they are on sale. Especially the hazy pale, it comes with 300g of hops, but again it has been awhile since they had a sale. At the sale price it is pretty much like buying every thing bulk.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Yeah as Popo noted they will have it on the specials section of their page, but they have not done them in a while. I only buy their AG packs if they are on sale. Especially the hazy pale, it comes with 300g of hops, but again it has been awhile since they had a sale. At the sale price it is pretty much like buying every thing bulk.

I have joined their site and subscribed to their newsletter.  Hopefully that is where the specials get announced.  Otherwise, I will just have a look now and then.  I have bought stuff from them before.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How do you know when this happens?  It sounds like an absolute bargain. 

Yeah right... @Norris! yer just gotta live next door.... wasn't it a CPB thing or have I missed something here - that is quite possible 😋

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Springtime in Lithuania 

This is some Lithuanian yeast from Alex at Cheapyeast. @Alex CheapYeast

Its a saison recipe with this yeast. 
It’s really nice. Farmhouse but not funky which lets the hops shine through. 

fermented quickly between 20 and 24. 

Im sure if this becomes available it will be a nice summer style yeast for people without temp control. 

Thanks again Alex for allowing me to play with this strain. More to come when it gets a bit more springtime. 

404B0478-B5CB-48BE-AE6A-952027751296.jpeg

Certainly looks the part!  😋

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Last night I went out to the Murray Bridge Club - 1st time since all the lockdown stuff was imposed.

I had a Coopers Pale and Coopers stout black & tan, then a couple of Pales while the raffles were run.

Then I got the bus home (they run a pickup and drop off service) got changed into comfies and poured a HB XPA - the difference was stunning!  Smooth and tasty, it's the first time I've had such a direct comparison and I impressed myself with what I've made!

I very rarely drink commercial craft beer, and pretty much never drink 'megaswill'.  I'm just not prepared to part with the cash when I know how little it costs to make beer.  And besides that I have no social life anyway so the situation never arises! 😁 However, having said that on those very few rare occasions when I have 'treated' myself it's always been a pleasant reminder of how great homebrew beer can be these days, which in turn only goes to further discourage me from paying for commercial offerings!

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 5

Hi all,

Was giving it big swigs of this one yesterday arvo!

First partial, 4th day after kegging and it just keeps getting better!

Loving the fresh Maris Otter malt flavour, bloody delish!

How good is making your own great beer!!

Cheers legends

James

82D4B183-02CA-4B4F-8F4D-8B392E584180.jpeg

380F8D8B-8931-47DD-A153-BBB672344905.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

always been a pleasant reminder of how great homebrew beer can be these day

1 hour ago, James Lao said:

How good is making your own great beer!!

19 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Nice Irish Red Ale for a Friday arvo,

On 7/3/2020 at 10:25 AM, Journeyman said:

the difference was stunning! 

Cannot agree with you festive Brewers more... and I say to people - hey please don't think I am being conceited or 'up meself' when I say this... but honestly I cannot drink megaswill anymore... and honestly a lot of micro stuff in Aussie I reckon is a bit watery.... if you got control over your malt, hops, yeast, and temp/pressure and got some great rainwater and irrelevant whether bottles or kegs... you can make same amazingly good beer... you'd go broke if you did it commercially... but if it's just fer yerself and mates... well it just doesn't get any better.

I am hoping to go back to Deutschland again at some stage... and really only am looking forward to the Bayerisches Weissbier... that is the only brew I cannot seem to get thaaat close to... I think I just need a bit more excellence regarding my yeast husbandry... need to learn off The Yeast King @Greeny1525229549 Greeny ; )

But yeah... AG HB is G for GOLD.

And Coopers Kits with partials and or liquid malt adjuncts and extra hoppage bllllllarrdy great too 😋

Cheers Brewers!  Brew Up and Brew On!!!

image.thumb.png.271331155305a96ad1549ececb0e468e.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cannot agree with you festive Brewers more... and I say to people - hey please don't think I am being conceited or 'up meself' when I say this... but honestly I cannot drink megaswill anymore... and honestly a lot of micro stuff in Aussie I reckon is a bit watery.... if you got control over your malt, hops, yeast, and temp/pressure and got some great rainwater and irrelevant whether bottles or kegs... you can make same amazingly good beer... you'd go broke if you did it commercially... but if it's just fer yerself and mates... well it just doesn't get any better.

I am hoping to go back to Deutschland again at some stage... and really only am looking forward to the Bayerisches Weissbier... that is the only brew I cannot seem to get thaaat close to... I think I just need a bit more excellence regarding my yeast husbandry... need to learn off The Yeast King @Greeny1525229549 Greeny ; )

But yeah... AG HB is G for GOLD.

And Coopers Kits with partials and or liquid malt adjuncts and extra hoppage bllllllarrdy not that far away 😋

Cheers Brewers!  Brew Up and Brew On!!!

image.thumb.png.271331155305a96ad1549ececb0e468e.png

Now i need a beer after that inspiring post 😃

• Haha 1