Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

On 7/2/2020 at 8:24 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Fantastic idea with the dry hopping. Genius. Cheers mate. 

To pop the lid though would the screwdriver feck up the threads over time if you're jimmying it ?

@PaddyBrew2 No mate it will not stuff the threads, screwdriver etc. comes nowhere near those.  See pics for reference.

Unscrew the outer black ring at the top all the way off, then just screw it back on again about one complete turn.  Then put a screwdriver under the lip of the post and jimmy down onto the outer ring as per the pics, no touching of threads and the like and no real pressure needs to be applied, just do it a little bit each post/side and presto, the inner lid pops up.  Do one side then the other and the inner lid will just slide up even if you have the later model with the bigger "O" ring that was brought out as a replacement so as to stop the leaking lids on some of these models.  It helps to use a little smear of the food grade lube on the "O" ring too.

Cheers - AL

Fermzilla popping the lid 1 resized.jpg

Fermzilla popping the lid 2 resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/10/2020 at 5:36 PM, MUZZY said:

Coopers Dark Ale tin with liquid light malt, dex and cinnamon. Carbonation good but a distinct lack of head and it vanished very quickly. Tastes good and there's a definite warmth the cinnamon adds but I don't think I'll bother with cinnamon again if it's at the expense of head and lacings.

IMG20200710171757.jpg

Looks very tasty. That around a wood fire and life is good.

• Like 1

My oaked Irish stout. 
Contains Everything you’d chuck in a dry Irish stout and then racked to a secondary vessel For 4 days that had Oak Chips soaked in Jameson hiding in it.

pretty yum. Super smooth, roasty, oaky finishing with a hint of warmth from the Jameson. 

A1FB7204-393C-4EB1-9A9C-1855CA7B9813.jpeg

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

My oaked Irish stout. 
Contains Everything you’d chuck in a dry Irish stout and then racked to a secondary vessel For 4 days that had Oak Chips soaked in Jameson hiding in it.

pretty yum. Super smooth, roasty, oaky finishing with a hint of warmth from the Jameson. 

Top looking glass too mate. And so nice to drink out of.

Think I might do this with my dry Irish tooo. (The extra o was for you Muzzy).

• Haha 4

On 7/13/2020 at 5:30 PM, MitchBastard said:

My oaked Irish stout. 

A1FB7204-393C-4EB1-9A9C-1855CA7B9813.jpeg

That looks & sounds absolutely terrific!

I've done an oaked porter & oaked IPA & do enjoy what it can add to the beer. It's a whole other level of flavour complexity.

Top stuff! 😎

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2020 at 10:05 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Light saison made with Dupont yeast. Quite tasty despite being below 3% ABV

15947281094377274446014721523537.jpg

Eyyy Greeny, looks awesome. I’m thinking of traveling down the saison road for an upcoming batch as I’m yet to brew one. Keen.

14 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Wyeast 3724 mate which is the saison dupont strain. Not a massive fan in a normal strength saison as it gets too funky. But this worked pretty well in a light beer.

I used this for the last black saison I did and it turned out so bloody good. I think I’m going to be using this strain a lot more during spring for summer saisons. 

17 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Any issues with the ferment? Apparently it can get stuck which is why i have not bought it

On a full strength batch I have got a stall every time around 1030. This one didn't i guess because it started at 1026 🙂

I have always finished them off with a belle saison or French saison packet. They will finish by themselves eventually but im not prepared to wait the 30 or so days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Each time I’ve used 3724, I just open ferment and haven’t had an issue. Yet. 
mind you, that’s only three times. 

Your better than me cap. Last time i used it on a full strength batch i open fermented with a tea towel and elastic band when it hit full krausen and the bastard still stopped.

2 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Your better than me cap. Last time i used it on a full strength batch i open fermented with a tea towel and elastic band when it hit full krausen and the bastard still stopped.

That’s pretty cr@p hey. Like ya say though, get it down with something else if you can’t wait.