Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

4 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Still will be quite green but I sometimes fill a soda stream bottle and fast carb a sample to taste while transferring so 5 days shouldn't be to bad. Just don't expect great carbonation.

Very green and no carbonation to speak of.... not really that enjoyable....😞

22 hours ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

@Scottie

In a word ...inspirational, mate just post a photo of that vintage gold next time brother, Jesus 2011!!!- how many long necks must you have lying around the house?

Picture in this thread from 2018

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pale Man said:

What is it/recipe?

Found my old brew log:

Brewed 26/11/2011

1 can Coopers Pale Ale

1 can Coopers Real Ale

1 kg Dextrose

250g Dark Crystal malt (270 ebc) crack with a rolling pin and steeped for 30 minutes @ 65 - 70oC  . Rinsed grains with 3l 70oC water and brought to the boil.

both kit yeasts pitched at 28oC, feremented at 24,20 then 18oC over three days.

OG = 1.066

Dry hop on day 4 with 25g Nelsno Sauvin

FG = 1.009 (08/12/2011)

8.1%

52.8 IBU

cost $34.90

12 x 640 ml glass bottles

33 x 330 ml glass bottles

3 x 375 ml glass bottles

Gold crown seals

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Scottie said:

Found my old brew log:

Brewed 26/11/2011

1 can Coopers Pale Ale

1 can Coopers Real Ale

1 kg Dextrose

250g Dark Crystal malt (270 ebc) crack with a rolling pin and steeped for 30 minutes @ 65 - 70oC  . Rinsed grains with 3l 70oC water and brought to the boil.

both kit yeasts pitched at 28oC, feremented at 24,20 then 18oC over three days.

OG = 1.066

Dry hop on day 4 with 25g Nelsno Sauvin

FG = 1.009 (08/12/2011)

8.1%

52.8 IBU

cost $34.90

12 x 640 ml glass bottles

33 x 330 ml glass bottles

3 x 375 ml glass bottles

Gold crown seals

Sounds like this is one for me very soon in prep for next winter. Ta Scottie.

I'm having first world HB problems - got a keg to go in the fridge (a Real ale + LDME, sugar primed to test against a gas primed version of the same) and all my lines are in use. Including 1 new keg (English IPA) I just kegged yesterday. So the Old Dark English is lowest in amount so I have to drink it out. 😄 

But it's a nice drop, kinda choc flavoured (caramalt and rye choc malt) with a nice creamy head. Be a bit sad to see it go, but eshperimentsh musht be a'happenin' thang... 😄

Old English Dark.jpg

• Like 1

I am drinking a hazy pale I made that is pretty much a NEIPA but I didn't double dry hop it due to using Kveik yeast, called Berserker Juice, it is really juicy and surprisingly clean after only 8 days grain to glass.

It isnt astringent, certainly not over bittered (all flameout and cubed hopped with a transfer at 82c), pretty murky but the aroma is jumping out the glass and the flavour is just tropical pineapple juiciness. Slight alcohol aroma at the end of the beer but not hot on the tastes buds at 6%, you have to be searching for it to pick it up.

I will post a picture of it when I have another glass but at this point, green as it is so take it with a grain of salt, this is a nice juicy beer. It would be hard to tell the difference between this and a glass of fresh juice with the silky fullness of the body coming in.

For my tastes, at this point, I would either add a 60 min addition to firm up the bitterness backbone or transfer at 90c or higher...probably easier just to drop in a few grams as a FWH to 10IBUs or so.

It20200726_154336.thumb.jpg.f75ba221626a21399aec38011858ebad.jpg is a really good beer. 3.5/5 for my tastes and green as it is, might adjust in a week or so.

• Like 2

Rye of the Tiger, black IPA. Its actually darker than the photo shows. Lots if spicy flavour that im not sure where it comes from. Need to check my notes to find if this is hop or rye driven.

20200729_163648.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Rye of the Tiger, black IPA. Its actually darker than the photo shows. Lots if spicy flavour that im not sure where it comes from. Need to check my notes to find if this is hop or rye driven.

You'd expect the rye malt to add some spice, but what hops did you use?

This is another brew that after only a few days CC and gelatin has really struggled to carbonate.  This is not my usual experience! But It's been 4 weeks now and its still not fully there - almost seems like there's virtually no yeast at all remaining in solution.   However, being an English bitter the current carbonation level actually seems quite well-suited, stylistically speaking.  The beer itself also turned out a lot darker than Beersmith had suggested it would, though it is a striking color regardless.  As for the flavor...  I have to say, this is one of the nicest beers I've not only brewed but maybe even one of the best I've ever tasted as well.  I took a radical departure from the typical hops associated with the style and instead made use of some leftover NZ hops - Nelson and Kohatu.  I just keep going back for more of this beer, I just can't get enough!  ... which, depending on your perspective, could be a good thing, or a bad thing! 

🤪

NelsonBitter-1.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

You'd expect the rye malt to add some spice, but what hops did you use?

Dry hopped.

25g galaxy

20g Ekuanot

40g simcoe

Yes i think the rye did add some spicy notes but the Ekuanot probably contributed also.

3 hours ago, Titan said:

Dry hopped.

25g galaxy

20g Ekuanot

40g simcoe

Yes i think the rye did add some spicy notes but the Ekuanot probably contributed also.

Yeah Ekuanot is said to have spicy, green peppery notes. Galaxy can be real bitey if boiled for more than about 20mins too.

Interesting mix with the rye that's for sure.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Spilled Golden Ale

Same Coopers yeast, banana aroma as the Fruity Golden Ale 
Could be exactly the same beer, but, there is something in the flavour. Just a tiny bit wrong. Has an almost watery taste. Maybe a bit metallic.

Fermented at 18°C.

About three days later, the metallic note has gone.  Maybe it just needed a little time.

52384660_GoldenSpilledAle.JPG.2394dc641db95452cc266f3457c61bbc.JPG

• Like 3

Berserker Juice. It is like drinking pineapple juice.

Good beer. I mashed a little high at 67 for more body, which it has. Very silky feel from the oats and wheat. Good retention and lacing. The flavour follows the nose with just enough bitterness to know it is a beer. The better half was very impressed and so I am. 4/5 as I would maybe mash lower, 65c, to make it crisper for my tastes. Good brewing and happy Friday.

20200731_153932.jpg

20200731_160010.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 11