Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Is it just too bitter? Too much green from the hops?

Its not green nor too bitter. It actually tastes like a 50 ibu beer but the hops are just so freaking fruity. Every other beer in comparison is just not hoppy anymore 

its Tasty, thats for sure.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Norris! said:

That is sweet but also kind of bittersweet. You have seen the grail and now nothing can compare.

Good on ole Tasty.

It’s freaking tasty. 
I went down to occys beer and food today in Dunsborough. Had their west coast IPA and it tasted like a bitter pale ha ha ha 

Think I’m going to have to smash this one down so I can move on. It’s also a pity it’s 6.8%. Ive had three and feel pissed

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

It’s freaking tasty. 
I went down to occys beer and food today in Dunsborough. Had their west coast IPA and it tasted like a bitter pale ha ha ha 

Think I’m going to have to smash this one down so I can move on. It’s also a pity it’s 6.8%. Ive had three and feel pissed

Dude I am going to have to dig up that recipe and maybe adjust it down to 5.5% and taste like 35 to 40 IBUS for my tastes, which won't be the recipe but will be an idea, an rendition shall we say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

IMG_20200613_193934-02.thumb.jpeg.801e6fe36ff0f6ee1a2c2263be80ee9a.jpeg

Drinking: No 2. ( I don't have a name for it). A triple dry hopped IPA (three stages).

Cooper IPA

1Kg LDME 

1Kg Wheat LDME 

Dry Hopped with Riwaka (100g), Citra (65g), Galaxy (65g).

It was a little rough to start with but its definitely improved. I think it will come into its own next week. I really need to get a backlog in place to stop me from drinking beer in the first week in the keg.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NicolasW said:

Drinking: No 2. ( I don't have a name for it). A triple dry hopped IPA (three stages).

Cooper IPA

1Kg LDME 

1Kg Wheat LDME 

Dry Hopped with Riwaka (100g), Citra (65g), Galaxy (65g).

Don't be afraid to dump about 1/4 to a 1/3 of that dry hop in at flameout & allow to steep for 5-10mins before cooling.

It'll add legs to this beer recipe of yours & more hop flavour & longevity of aromas to the beer especially given your dilution of the kit flavours with an extra 1kg of malt extract added above what would generally be used to create the typical balances of the IPA kit recipe.

P.S. Little secret so don't tell anyone, Riwaka @ 10, 5, & flameout of the boil for some great flavour pick-up with minimal bitterness added. 😉

Nice clarity you have created. Well done. 👍

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Pacific Summer Ale, really nice brew, pouring great from the keg, nice lacing, happy happy

Lovely work Red!  That liquid malt obviously helping things along hey?!  ; )

On 6/13/2020 at 9:00 PM, Norris! said:

Great clarity, especially for a triple dry hopped brew. Looks nice as.

Clarity is probably a 6/10. Can't see through it in a one of those fishbowl glasses (a lot of reflections in the photos) but in normal pint glasses you can. I used US05 on it and I don't think it does any biotransformation so no haze. Tasty anyway which is what matters.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:28 PM, Beerlust said:

Don't be afraid to dump about 1/4 to a 1/3 of that dry hop in at flameout & allow to steep for 5-10mins before cooling.

It'll add legs to this beer recipe of yours & more hop flavour & longevity of aromas to the beer especially given your dilution of the kit flavours with an extra 1kg of malt extract added above what would generally be used to create the typical balances of the IPA kit recipe.

P.S. Little secret so don't tell anyone, Riwaka @ 10, 5, & flameout of the boil for some great flavour pick-up with minimal bitterness added. 😉

Nice clarity you have created. Well done. 👍

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Good idea Lusty might give it a go next time I do a quick kit pale. I brewed an AG Summer Ale today with 75g of Nelson Sauvin thrown into a hop stand. Interested to see how it turns out.

Cheers

Nick

Trying my AG Hefeweizen tonight nice beer pretty easy to drink not sure if I am getting much banana/clove out of the WB06, will probably try one of the liquid yeasts next time this was fermented at 20c  cheers 🍻 

99E739A0-96E4-43B4-89F4-7AD1E49E669F.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 7

On 6/15/2020 at 10:40 PM, RDT2 said:

Trying my AG Hefeweizen

Wonderful stuff RD!  And speccy glass too mate... luvyerwork!

With the classic HW... with more yeast... you may alter the flavours...  dunno whether it will give banana and cloves... but having more yeast in the glass does change it up a bit...

Is this bottle or keg?  I have only done bottled AG HW and then usually dose the glass up with the yeast...  dunno with keg - guess just give it a shake ha ha?

I gave the liquid W3068 Weihenstephaner Weissbier Yeast a run and it was good besides extra $$ but did a couple and have some in fridge for 'ron' ; )

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wonderful stuff RD!  And speccy glass too mate... luvyerwork!

With the classic HW... with more yeast... you may alter the flavours...  dunno whether it will give banana and cloves... but having more yeast in the glass does change it up a bit...

Is this bottle or keg?  I have only done bottled AG HW and then usually dose the glass up with the yeast...  dunno with keg - guess just give it a shake ha ha?

I gave the liquid W3068 Weihenstephaner Weissbier Yeast a run and it was good besides extra $$ but did a couple and have some in fridge for 'ron' ; )

In bottles mate I think I will try the Whitelabs WLP300 next time not unhappy with the beer just wanted to get the banana clove aroma/taste. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:40 PM, RDT2 said:

Trying my AG Hefeweizen tonight nice beer pretty easy to drink not sure if I am getting much banana/clove out of the WB06, will probably try one of the liquid yeasts next time this was fermented at 20c  cheers 🍻 

99E739A0-96E4-43B4-89F4-7AD1E49E669F.jpeg

In my experience you have more chance of winning powerball than getting banana out of WB06.

As BB said go the liquid options. WY3068 or WLP300.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

In my experience you have more chance of winning powerball than getting banana out of WB06.

Greeny mate I was happy with WY3068 - but did it coolish like down at 18.  Was wondering if I wanted to pursue the elusive clove thing - dunno where banana is from meself having drunk a reasonable bit of Weissbier in situ in Bayern and over here from Dans....  but yeah more funk...

What temp would I run at - maybe 25 deg C?

Would wait until summer - but am wondering what your thoughts were?   And d'you reckon stick to the bottles too rather than keg?

• Like 1

From my research trying to get banana out of WB06 I was underpitching at about 18 or 19 and ramping it up a degree each day to 24 ish. Made a nice beer. Just no banana. 

And yeah my general rule is yeast driven beer = bottles is best. Or if i keg I naturally condition. But that's my preference. Others may disagree.

• Like 1

Hi Burbler.

13 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...Was wondering if I wanted to pursue the elusive clove thing...

IMHO, the following is what I'd advise you to use for the desired clove character in a wheat beer.

Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend

I used it on a Redback Wheat beer clone recipe back about 6 years ago & it threw the clove character nicely when fermented @ 18-20°C.

One that rarely sees any airplay is the Wyeast 3333 German Wheat. Extremely versatile with a ferment range of 17°-24°C.

Traditionally with wheat strains, ferment low to encourage clove-like phenolics, ferment high to encourage the banana ester. The 3333 is a very good strain to play around with in that space (IMHO). I fermented it once at 21°-22°C & got good banana. 

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Or if i keg I naturally condition.

Beaut. Thanks Greeny.  I would like to do wheatie in Keg cos not done one yet.  That is a great idea.  I did a Golden Ale natural cond in keg and was good - only had probs w yeast blockage in natural conditioned small keg... so reckon a natural condition wheatie in big keg sounds like a good plan.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend

I used it on a Redback Wheat beer clone recipe back about 6 years ago & it threw the clove character nicely when fermented @ 18-20

Thanks Lusty.  I reckon that 3056 is a good idea if I can get some... and think the clove thing sounds good @18-20.  I would like to try that some time ; )

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I had to use Wb06 thanks to Covid the liquid yeast didn’t arrive when they said it would I had the wort ready to go but the liquid yeast didn’t arrive it’s ok tastes good just be more organised next time.

• Like 1

Thank God it’s Thursday Golden Ale !!!

APA can, 1kg LDME, 200g Crystal Malt Cold Steeped 24h, Amarillo Hops, Nott Yeast

Very tasty, not as good head as previous brew ‘Ashes Ale’ with similar ingredients hops aside...  a bit of this brew, and a bit of that brew would be great!  😀

E6B10C7D-7207-4623-B033-64817A0B4190.jpeg

Edited by G00DSY
  • Like 2

First glass of the Easy ESB, which was the brew from the Brewzilla. Damn good beer and could do with a bit longer in the bottle, but goes 👍.

Carbonation is there but a bit minimalist still. Keen to see how this one finishes off over the next few months.

Was crystal clear when bottled, so I might have stirred it up a bit.

0F44C0B6-1702-4CA0-978B-FA9B180F9E3B.jpeg

70289B71-9529-4A70-8685-0815712320D2.jpeg

• Like 2