Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

The latest addition to Burbler Brewing's fleet of AGs on tap... worked hard at building up the inventory for a special visitation and been accepted with gusto so gotta be happy with that... This one an Amber Ale... mellow with some lovely EKG tones and strolling in at a miserly 5.9% ABV... definitely a session ale ; )   (well certainly for @Ben 10 and meself I guess 😉)

Cheers Brewers!

image.thumb.png.0c160faabf64b7b55374673ab4c3a9c1.png

• Like 12

Just poured what will one of the last of the ROTM kolsch from a month ago as picked up the keg today and it feels pretty light on, which will fit well with the Crankshaft clone currently cold crashing.

But for a kit beer, I’m blown away by the clarity of it and the way it’s holding carbonation.

This glass has literally been on the bench for 10 minutes while I was rattling away on the porter recipe for my next beer.

• Like 5

NZ lager just kegged and rockn roll fast carb. Slightly under carb but better than over doing it.  During transfer noted one blob of yeast cake also transfered hence the hazy appearance. Have to put this lager as the best i have done.  Motueka dry hop shines through.

20200719_141458.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/16/2020 at 8:59 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Wyeast 3724 mate which is the saison dupont strain. Not a massive fan in a normal strength saison as it gets too funky. But this worked pretty well in a light beer.

Hey mate, do you have much experience with the belle saison yeast from lalleman? 

anything scary about using a diastatic yeast?

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Yeah. Diastaticus.

Great sanitisation is the key I hear.  Starsan is not very effective against it.  Some use Idophor in their sanitisation regime.

Me, I am not sure I ever want to brew with it again.  I had ultra-frothy brews for weeks.  I treated all bottles used since the Saison brews with a bleach soak.  The thing is you do not know you have got it until it is too late.  The extra frothy beers do not start to materialise for weeks.  @BlackSands had the same issue. 

I also suggest you do not harvest the yeast for reuse.  That might have been one of my mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Hey mate, do you have much experience with the belle saison yeast from lalleman? 

Yeah i think its a great yeast. Quick and tasty. A bit blander than the other saison yeasts but if you ramp up the temp you get more flavours out of it.

Diastaticus. Well ill admit i have had the odd overcarbed bottle before but never a whole batch and i use fermenters for yeasts with Diastaticus one week and a lager yeast the next. I believe if you clean your fermenters and bottles well then you wont have a problem. A lot of people talk about Diastaticus yeasts like its Brettanomyces. I think its unfounded but if your worried then you can use a fermenter and set of bottles only for diastaticus yeasts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

...anything scary about using a diastatic yeast?

As others have mentioned, cross-contamination can be a real issue:

More info on this problem here  - it's how to manage it in a commercial operation, though still largely of interest to the homebrewer:     "A single cell is enough to cause a bottle or can of beer to explode"

https://www.chaibio.com/beer-spoilage/diastaticus

Edited by BlackSands
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Greeny1525229549 @Shamus O'Sean & @BlackSands

will look into something more thorough for the cleaning side of things. I currently use PBW for everything..... would this be sufficient? 

also, considering my bottling days are somewhat all but over, should I revisit bottling for a saison in stead of kegging for contaminant reasons? 

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

will look into something more thorough for the cleaning side of things. I currently use PBW for everything..... would this be sufficient? 

Nah mate. That won’t fix it. I find an iodine based sanitiser will kill just about anything. 
I too have had Ipas turn into Belgium Ipas after a few weeks. 

As for bottling a saison, I prefer bottle conditioned over kegged, but that’s truely a personal preference thing. Not saying kegging them is bad, Infact I do keg my small table saisons but always give them a really good dose of iodine based sanitiser to get rid of anything diastaticus 

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Shitty Aussie Lager. Again, very nice.

Could be a crafty "Hazy Lager" at this stage, however it will clear towards the end of the keg, which will make it look better I suppose.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200722150019370_COVER.thumb.jpg.37a0eb4a7641dc9e9a043cdd2ec8e4b5.jpg

Reckon you have the simple sugar level nailed yet?

I currently have a pale ale on tap with Azacca, Mandarina Bavaria and Wai-iti.

First time using this combo and it is awesome. I'm not good a descriptors so I will just run with Fruit Salad.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Hairy said:

First time using this combo and it is awesome. I'm not good a descriptors so I will just run with Fruit Salad.

DE0FE5D1-FF3F-4E81-B1CB-68E5DC1667F4.thumb.jpeg.542041d5180930eaeaee1846b1003017.jpeg

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Tonguing for a beer, how early have you guys had testers after bottling? I got an Apa extra and a Real Ale extra , 5 days in the bottle, thinking about just experimenting with the short turnaround..... 

Still will be quite green but I sometimes fill a soda stream bottle and fast carb a sample to taste while transferring so 5 days shouldn't be to bad. Just don't expect great carbonation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dudes

Here is my 6 monthly update. I'm drinking my 2011 ESVA. Bottled on December 8, 2011 it is still drinking fine. Dry Sherry notes dominate,  its a beer for the refined gentleman 😉.

If you are still doing kits you should roll this one out, leave it 12 months and then start consuming.

Unfortunately I have only one long neck and 1/2 dozens stubbies left. Had I known how good it was I would have brewed a 2012, 2103 & 2014 but alas I did not.

Cheers 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2020 at 9:40 AM, Hairy said:

Great combo and feedback. No sight of galaxy, citra or mosaic, or the other usual suspects either, really, azacca is the bomb but a little underated.

Not to be a purist or anything it was just refreshing to see a combo that came out punchy without those hops used.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scottie said:

Dudes

Here is my 6 monthly update. I'm drinking my 2011 ESVA. Bottled on December 8, 2011 it is still drinking fine. Dry Sherry notes dominate,  its a beer for the refined gentleman 😉.

If you are still doing kits you should roll this one out, leave it 12 months and then start consuming.

Unfortunately I have only one long neck and 1/2 dozens stubbies left. Had I known how good it was I would have brewed a 2012, 2103 & 2014 but alas I did not.

Cheers 

What is it/recipe?