Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

35 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Taste, aroma, is it dry?

Gingery aroma. Little bit of ginger heat. Not overly dry but I used a Saison yeast and some golden syrup, I'm sure it finished under 1010.
Tastes better as it warms up. Probs 7%, feels it too.

I used 500 mL of homegrown ginger juice.
Pretty good actually, slight sourness from the ginger, nice chocolatey stout.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Gingery aroma. Little bit of ginger heat. Not overly dry but I used a Saison yeast and some golden syrup, I'm sure it finished under 1010.
Tastes better as it warms up. Probs 7%, feels it too.

I used 500 mL of homegrown ginger juice.
Pretty good actually, slight sourness from the ginger, nice chocolatey stout.

Nice 👍

• Thanks 1

Samba. 
light malt bill, dry AF. Finished at 1.004. Probably a touch too bitter. 
Pineapple mango tangarine/orange. Candied fruits type flavour. 

It’s a super nice hop. Impressed. Think I’ll do a IPA with it next

8F6D9008-2402-40B0-9101-46A42ECB5DCE.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 8

Drinking my most recent brew fermented under pressure: Motueka Lager. What with the heat wave we are having, it is really hitting the spot! Goes down pretty easy.

Fermenting under pressure is so easy. I don't even transfer the beer off the yeast. I just move the keg I fermented in to the keg fridge on day 8 and apply 35PSI. Next day I fine with gelatine, and the day after that I reduce the pressure and start drinking.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Drinking my most recent brew fermented under pressure: Motueka Lager. What with the heat wave we are having, it is really hitting the spot! Goes down pretty easy.

Fermenting under pressure is so easy. I don't even transfer the beer off the yeast. I just move the keg I fermented in to the keg fridge on day 8 and apply 35PSI. Next day I fine with gelatine, and the day after that I reduce the pressure and start drinking.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Motueka is great in a Lager.

How do you fine with gelatine in the keg after you have gassed the keg?

7 hours ago, Hairy said:

Motueka is great in a Lager.

How do you fine with gelatine in the keg after you have gassed the keg?

I pull the PRV, let out the gas, leave it for five minutes, then open the lid and pour in the gelatine slurry, close it, gas it back up to 35PSI, purge out the O2 a few times.

Cheers Hairy,

Christina.

• Thanks 1

🤣 No. We had a record breaking day yesterday, 37C,  felt like 39C, and we had not hit the first official day of summer yet. The grass is already turning brown, which is early. Wonder if we are going to have a hot summer. Thought we were supposed to have a solar minimum this year?

Cheers,

Christina.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Coopers kit stout with added Oats, EKG & a little vanilla extract from the keg...

Coopers-DIY_Stout.jpg

The good reputation of the stout kit flavours is well deserved & are really nice.

My brew has ended up just a tad dry that is my own fault by using the dextrose instead of more malt. I would up the oats by maybe double next time too despite noticing a silkiness feel in the beer.

I am going to enjoy this over the coming weeks. 🙂

Great kit @Coopers @Coopers DIY Beer Team.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 5

Ripped off a glass of my recently kegged Kolsch. Really happy with it, bar the clarity at this stage. Nice pear on the nose, malty Mid palette and A dry bubblegum finish. Will definitely be tweaking this recipe to polish the edges to get it perfecto for summer. Certainly takes me back to Germany this time last year. 

81B4B799-B65A-4481-811D-3914EC2F2574.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Ripped off a glass of my recently kegged Kolsch. Really happy with it, bar the clarity at this stage. Nice pear on the nose, malty Mid palette and A dry bubblegum finish. Will definitely be tweaking this recipe to polish the edges to get it perfecto for summer. Certainly takes me back to Germany this time last year. 

81B4B799-B65A-4481-811D-3914EC2F2574.jpeg

Guggenheim Yeah! Clean and awesome, so much better than a lager.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Are the first few pours cloudy Christina?

Hey BB. When I use a regular dip tube, yes, the first couple are cloudy. When I use a floating dip tube, it is perfectly clear, first pour.

I should have used the floating dip tube (I just have one) this batch, since I did not keg hop, but I forgot....When I keg hop, I prefer to use the long, rigid dip tube as I worry the floating one might getting hung up on the SS mesh cylinder that I contain the hops in. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mitch.

17 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I'm glad this beer turned out well for you. 👍

The style is commercially served two acceptable ways. Cloudy or clear. If you wish it to be clear then typical 2 week+ lagering periods need to be adopted. I quite like the cloudy version with the yeast still in suspension as I like the light flavours I feel it adds.

As a tweak to perhaps consider next time, switch out the Munich malt for the more traditionally used Vienna. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

@Beerlust thanks Lusty. 

the flavours in mine, im quite happy with. So I’m glad I didn’t fine it to drop that yeast out, however I was hoping for a little clearer but it’s only been in keg for a few days. Time will sort that out. 

first port of call is switching out the Munich. 🤙🏻 

Dry Irish Stout. Banged up the mash temp a little from the summer stout I do. Same recipe just mashed a little higher. 
Think this is the best stout I’ve made. 
Changed suppliers of the roasted Malt and flakes barley. 

Mouthfeel is spot on, medium to light. Finishes dry on the palate. 
Time for the Guggenheim.

D9173C38-3345-446C-99E4-881FBF2C481C.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4