Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

I'll kick this years indulgences off with a first tasting of Waimea's Sister.  This is a British golden ale featuring the new experimental hop HORT4337, described as a sister hop to Waimea... whatever that means!   Anyway, the characteristic flavour of this new experimental hop is peaches.   If you collected the juice from some peaches, and fermented them and then carbonated... this is what you'd get!  😁  

It really is quite a remarkable hop... if you like peaches!  

WaimeasSister-1.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 11

Was supposed to be off the grog today...But had a 12G Grader drive through me back yard this arvo so needed some Ur Bock Helles AG medicine out of the keg which is drinking nicely.

Was just the RFS doing the good thing on a firebreak around the house and sheds...

image.thumb.png.4514022b26b8dba845d6b68c6cc508a0.png

• Like 9

And for this 2nd evening of 2020... getting into the last of my Sovereign IPA - my first ever crack at an English IPA.  Based in this brew I'll be adding this style to my 'regulars' list, though not necessarily this particular recipe...

SovereignIPA_Jan2020-1.jpg

• Like 4

Toasted Coconut Porter. Rich chocolate flavours but just a hint of coconut. I hoped it'd taste a little like a Bounty bar 🙂 I need to use a bigger fry pan to toast the coconut more evenly next time. That's a beer to keep for Winter...or brew a new one before then 🙂 And I also need better light in my man cave...and portrait mode is supposed to blur the background, not the foreground 😂

IMG_6111.thumb.jpg.ca4ed2f4b142475a31159ebc030b8b87.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Toasted Coconut Porter. Rich chocolate flavours but just a hint of coconut. I hoped it'd taste a little like a Bounty bar 🙂 I need to use a bigger fry pan to toast the coconut more evenly next time. That's a beer to keep for Winter...or brew a new one before then 🙂 And I also need better light in my man cave...and portrait mode is supposed to blur the background, not the foreground 😂

IMG_6111.thumb.jpg.ca4ed2f4b142475a31159ebc030b8b87.jpg

Looks good mate,  the Pacific Summer Ale you suggested a while back I brewed, just put on tap this afternoon, a little cloudy but tastes great.

cheers 

AAA04B76-E16F-4B50-8274-53D66CB91F83.jpeg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Looks good mate,  the Pacific Summer Ale you suggested a while back I brewed, just put on tap this afternoon, a little cloudy but tastes great.

cheers 

AAA04B76-E16F-4B50-8274-53D66CB91F83.jpeg

Looks good. Very good. Had the last bottle I had hidden from visitors yesterday. Probably make a new one on the w/e.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Looks good. Very good. Had the last bottle I had hidden from visitors yesterday. Probably make a new one on the w/e.

Cheers mate, think I’ll keep this brew to myself also, could give it a bit of a nudge over the weekend with the cricket on 😜😜

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Cheers mate, think I’ll keep this brew to myself also, could give it a bit of a nudge over the weekend with the cricket on 😜😜

Hey Aussiekraut, was your beer still very cloudy once you drank them ? I’ve kegged mine, and normally I leave them age a while but with this one I more or less chilled and put on tap ( get thirsty in this SEQLD heat 🤣🤣) , it might clear over time I think but I’ll probably drink the bugger before then 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Cheers mate. I think I will.  Good thing about beersmith is that you can save all your old recipes and stats and then tweak. 
It’s probably more suited for the colder months but am still enjoying it. Back home I used to get a sixer of Old speckled hen every now and then and this one is on a par with that I reckon. Would have liked a touch more bitterness 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Cheers mate. I think I will.  Good thing about beersmith is that you can save all your old recipes and stats and then tweak. 
It’s probably more suited for the colder months but am still enjoying it. Back home I used to get a sixer of Old speckled hen every now and then and this one is on a par with that I reckon. Would have liked a touch more bitterness 

Yeah I think doing recipes over and over again till they are great works best. Then you have a few go to beers and have a couple of them on the go while the other can be an experiment of sorts. Least then you always have great beer on hand all the time, even if the experiment is crap.

• Like 3

The smoke has traveled across the Tasman and arrived here in Auckland!  It's gone very dark and yellow here in NZ this afternoon...  very eerie and apocalyptic!  😱 

I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for those who are right in the thick of it...   😟

SmokeyBitter-1.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4