Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

On 1/21/2024 at 2:13 PM, Aussiekraut said:

A nice cold Märzen from one of my Granddad’s Steins. I remember the Brewery on the stein. It was one of the three breweries in town I can remember. They were snatched up by Spaten in the 70s and a few years later operations were shut down as usual. 

IMG_9835.thumb.jpeg.86ac5a1ae13828c846121422d31beba2.jpeg

Nice.   And, as much as I like these old steins and 'beer mugs' in general, and they do have character, history and personality, I must admit - not being able to see the beer within is a bit of a disappointment.  Similarly, I used to have some pewter goblets which kinda felt cool for swilling back some tasty red wine, Anglo-Saxon style... but I did miss seeing the ruby red liquid velvet within.   Probably because I'm quite 'visual' and suspect this has a strong influence over my taste perception.

• Like 4

My Carlton Draught clone.  I have made several 44 L batches of this recipe with very slight variations of grains and different lager yeasts.

This one I have gone back to using DL yeast and it's only been in the keg since the 14th January so it has cleared and carbed up nicely.

The last few batches of this CD clone was using SGLY (remember Rodger?) Infact, I reckon SGLY is the same as S23 IMO so it could be the same yeast with different branding @Greenyinthewestofsydney ?  and I don't think it is as good as DL.   

This beer with the slight mod of Vienna malt has come out more like a Crown Lager than a CD.  Very happy - Cheers

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

My Carlton Draught clone.  I have made several 44 L batches of this recipe with very slight variations of grains and different lager yeasts.

This one I have gone back to using DL yeast and it's only been in the keg since the 14th January so it has cleared and carbed up nicely.

The last few batches of this CD clone was using SGLY (remember Rodger?) Infact, I reckon SGLY is the same as S23 IMO so it could be the same yeast with different branding @Greenyinthewestofsydney ?  and I don't think it is as good as DL.   

This beer with the slight mod of Vienna malt has come out more like a Crown Lager than a CD.  Very happy - Cheers

Nice carbonation for 8 days and the head is nice and I bet it has lacing all the way down the glass

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 4:11 PM, jennyss said:

Channelling the song from Grease "Tell me more, tell me more"

@jennyss I brewed with 3 cans of Coopers in the pic plus some fermentables and a dry hop. I was lucky enough to get the cans cheap so it was viable. Very malty but excellent bitterness too. It's most definitely a winter sipper.

IMG_20231229_170557_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

@jennyss I brewed with 3 cans of Coopers in the pic plus some fermentables and a dry hop. I was lucky enough to get the cans cheap so it was viable. Very malty but excellent bitterness too. It's most definitely a winter sipper.

IMG_20231229_170557_HDR.jpg

Jeez, that would have been a powerful brew. 😋

• Haha 3

On 1/21/2024 at 4:11 PM, jennyss said:

Channelling the song from Grease "Tell me more, tell me more"

Heres the recipe, pretty simple really. I dry hopped with three different hops to 90 grams.

The only way I could improve on this is to reculture yeast from Coopers bottles.

Its the closest ive ever tasted to Coopers Vintage in a home brew. Its bloody good.

Coopers Vintage..png

• Like 3

Bottled version of my 3 can concoction. Just not the same as the kegged version at the same stage in age. Keg version has a much creamier head and smoother taste. This is still lovely but rough around the edges. I'm so happy I keg.

IMG_20240124_185537_HDR.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK, the beer that was frozen by accident tastes fine, so thank you to all that commented,  

It was an accident but all is OK, Cheers. 

20240126_190328.thumb.jpg.5a63197ac4f23d77c6db6ce6d8620ec9.jpg

Oh yeah, look at it - num, num, num 😋

Good job Phil  - that’s a great outcome 👏😉🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having a little sneaky taste test of my COPA-Pr tonight.  It's the one that had been dry hopped with 23 g of PoR for 3 days.  Only been in the keg since last Thursday so still well under carbed but I could not resist.  A pretty flat beer is very unphotogenic so did not bother with a pic.

Slight smell of banana when first poured but that dissipates quickly.  Can taste a slight lemon peel type bitterness and fruity aftertaste which I don't mind.  Will do another taste test in a couple of weeks when it has more fizz and compare it to the Eclipse dry hopped version.

Be interesting to see what @Shamus O'Sean thinks of his PoR dry hopped COPA once his is carbed up.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Having a little sneaky taste test of my COPA-Pr tonight.  It's the one that had been dry hopped with 23 g of PoR for 3 days.  Only been in the keg since last Thursday so still well under carbed but I could not resist.  A pretty flat beer is very unphotogenic so did not bother with a pic.

Slight smell of banana when first poured but that dissipates quickly.  Can taste a slight lemon peel type bitterness and fruity aftertaste which I don't mind.  Will do another taste test in a couple of weeks when it has more fizz and compare it to the Eclipse dry hopped version.

Be interesting to see what @Shamus O'Sean thinks of his PoR dry hopped COPA once his is carbed up.

What do you reckon that your 23g POR dry hop will add to the beer? I have dry hopped 50g POR once and I didn't really notice a great deal of aroma or taste from that, I had actually bittered also with POR in that batch so I guess hard to tell where the aroma and flavours were coming from - bittering during the boil or the dry hop.

• Like 3