Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A taste from the latest keg, Session Ale 4.8% ABV, essentially a Pale but hopped with Amarillo & Galaxy. 

Very nice. 

20240106_143949.thumb.jpg.fb7f3172f2cd44ac35119df4acd0502d.jpg

Is that yours mate or the keg you got filled? 

• Like 2

Poor house lighting and stormy outside so needed the missus to help with torch. Still a poor pic, very hazy after removal of hop tube from the keg after just over a day. 

Still under carbonated but this Calypso is very zesty and an unusual hop. Very different and fruity from other hops have tried previously.  

In the past, time after hop removal and extra carbonation has changed the way it will taste.  Still can't really give an opinion either way. 

Thinking I will start using more dry hops for the last few days in the fermenter instead of in the keg to compare. 

Had an overflow while removing the hop tube today like it was over gassed. Then the beer is kind of flat.  First time it has happened so unsure on the reason.

20240107_195125.jpg

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 8

Coopers 2023 Vintage Ale - Side-by-Side Taste test

AROMA

• THEIRS - Malt, herbal, woody, floral with a subtle citrus
  • MINE - Similar but more malty plus caramel and toasty notes

FLAVOUR

• THEIRS - Smooth maltiness, quite easy to drink.  Less bitterness than I recall when I drank this before
  • MINE - Malty, crusty toast, dark caramel (I actually used Light Crystal Malt instead of Dark Crystal Malt in mine, hoping to lighten the colour, but it did not work very well)

SUMMARY

They are different but similar.  Theirs is a nicer beer, I think.  I scored theirs 7/10 previously and I scored mine 7.5/10.  It is interesting trying to pick a favourite when you are tasting side-by-side compared to individually.

The homebrew version of the Coopers Vintage Ales is always darker than the commercial version.  I am not sure what is going on with that.  Maybe the ingredients in the Thomas Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale are similar to those in the commercial Vintage Ale.  However, the colour of the TCFSAA is wrong for the Vintage Ale.  I think the colour would be closer using Thomas Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale than the TCFSAA.

IMG_4205.JPG.26ed7c3f562b26e9eff40ef4f6f7e288.JPG

• Like 12

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

Good job I’’ve just brewed a double batch 

@stquinto , I am really not into dark beers, but I am very partial to a Guinness when it is on tap and its fresh at a good pub (with high keg turnover).  I have recently been working on a Guinness clone and will brew one shortly.  Care to share your recipe and tasting notes on yours?  Looks good.  I know that I will have in invest in a Nitro gas system too.  Cheers - AL

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Had an overflow while removing the hop tube today like it was over gassed. Then the beer is kind of flat.  First time it has happened so unsure on the reason.

Most likely the hop tube and all the hop matter created too may nucleation points and the CO2 got an easy way out of solution.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto , I am really not into dark beers, but I am very partial to a Guinness when it is on tap and its fresh at a good pub (with high keg turnover).  I have recently been working on a Guinness clone and will brew one shortly.  Care to share your recipe and tasting notes on yours?  Looks good.  I know that I will have in invest in a Nitro gas system too.  Cheers - AL

Here you go Al.

I milled the oats, which was probably a bad idea, as the wort recirculation stopped every 3 minutes (2 hours and 15 minutes the mash is..), so I had to stop the pump and blow into the tube to unblock it, the stuff in the tea strainer is what I got out of it. The sparge didn’t get stuck though.

I set aside a litre just before putting it in the FV. When it comes to kegging, I’ll boil that to pasteurise it and add it to one keg, I’ll put 4g/10 l lactic acid in the other.

The one I just finished was a year in the keg in all 😵

The taste for me was just like a commercial Guinness but a bit stronger in alcohol . Rich, roasty, coffee, good mouthfeel and body  Really happy with it 👍

That one was done with the lactic.

In yesterday’s brew I put in 80g of EKG and 50g of Fuggles as that’s all I had. I used two packs of Notto sprinkled in.

So long as you go for an English style hop it’ll be fine I reckon. 
When I boot up my PC I’ll send a copy of the Graham Wheeler recipe.

My pouring skills on the nitro aren’t usually that good although I’ve got a stout tap, I need to work on it.

With all the stirring of the wort the OG was pretty high, even after the mash it was 1.050 😉

Try it, it’s a great recipe 👍

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

Guinness-double-batch.pdf

• Like 5

On 1/6/2024 at 4:59 PM, NBillett09 said:

This is not my first taste of my All Inn Brewing FWK Mosaic XPA, I actually tasted a sample bottle at 11 days and even though it’s a little green it just tastes so good! All I added was an overnight cold steep of 300g Carapils, 1L hop tea with 20g Mosaic and an 80g dry hop of mosaic. This will not last long at all! Lots of green mango and pine aroma and mango, pine and a bit of citrus in the flavour with a pleasant amount of bitterness. Slightly hazy, which I love.

IMG_6251.jpeg

looks delish NB.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

What a fantastic idea. Now you've got me wondering if they do this in Mexico. 

Yes, it is if you want beer now, a FWK still takes 10-14 days, so I slip one in every now & then.

Funny thing is though, they seem to evaporate like the others. 😬

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Happy New Year One and All ye festive Brewers from Pezzza Mountain Brewing!!!

image.thumb.png.4760cc4c0e96a8365dd07c43d1c4f5c3.png

Reds under the Bed and in the Keg 🥳

Nothing outrageous - Red due to the high conc of the best of Bavaria's freshly milled RedX Malt... 

A bit of Super Pride and EKG long boil bittering

And some larvely Spalter at FO

Clear cos it has been in the Keg for a good while

Taschty Taschty

Cheers and Good Brewing

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Pezzza said:

Nothing outrageous - Red due to the high conc of the best of Bavaria's freshly milled RedX Malt... 

Taschty Taschty

Cheers and Good Brewing

Looks good Mr. P all the best to you old mate, keep brewing & look after yourself.

Cheers

Phil. 🥳

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Taschty Taschty

Cheers and Good Brewing

Ah, all is wonderfully balanced again, the rightful order of the universe has returned. The fence post is back. 🥳😂

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Most likely the hop tube and all the hop matter created too may nucleation points and the CO2 got an easy way out of solution.

Yeah just a little strange when I have done this same thing before with no problem.  Or maybe once removing frozen raspberries.

• Like 1

A sneak peek of the Skynet Pale Ale. It’s only been in the keg for 3 days on 20psi but is sufficiently carbonated. Very tasty with great flavours from the Galaxy and Mosaic hops. In another couple of weeks, it’ll be a cracker of a beer. Pity I can’t keep it. 

IMG_9777.thumb.jpeg.461bd3b34100e9b6530d5f62e86ec643.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2