Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

Irish Red. I can't claim this one as it was an FWK from the LHBS. It's a pretty nice beer but a little too dark and rich for an Irish Red. To me. it is closer to a Brown Ale. Very malty, full body with a good creamy mouthfeel, fairly subdued bitterness and a good sweetness. The head is nice and creamy too but fairly quickly reduces to a thin layer, which sticks around for a while. It could probably benefit from a nitro setup. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6d26eb3c55682c7677fcff6cf0d1fe57.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

All Grain Hefewiezen. Simple and bloody delicious. Everything I wanted. Would have been even better with the correct hops.

IMG_20240104_184722_HDR.jpg

It looks really good.

What hops did you use? I usually use a combo of Hallertauer MF and Mandarina Bavaria. I also dry hop the HW with the Mandarina.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

It looks really good.

What hops did you use? I usually use a combo of Hallertauer MF and Mandarina Bavaria. I also dry hop the HW with the Mandarina.

For some reason I decided to go out of my comfort zone and hop with Saaz. I was trying for a bit more zing. I sort of got that, and got a really good wheat beer, that I'm very happy with.

But missing that very very traditional taste that Hallertauer gives. Its more zingy than earthy if that makes sense. But a bloody good beer. I'm happy.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

It looks really good.

I have always hop my Hefes with Hallertauer MF. It just does the job. I didnt this time.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I have always hop my Hefes with Hallertauer MF. It just does the job. I didnt this time.

Yeah, Hallertau isn't the most exciting hop but does a great job of what you want it to. A nice simple Lager and Hally is your friend. A Hefe Weizen, tick. Even a Pilsner is a possibility. I wouldn't use it for an English ale, I wouldn't use it for Aussie lagers and if you want "fancy", use something different. But in the end, Hallertauer MF is one of the hops I buy in 500g packs, rather than 100g 🙂 That's probably the reason why I have so many hops in the freezer but only ever seem to buy Hally, Mosaic and Galaxy. The stocks of other hops seem to only very slowly diminish, leaving me with a perpetually full hop freezer 😳 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The stocks of other hops seem to only very slowly diminish, leaving me with a perpetually full hop freezer

I am similar.  The good thing is occasionally you can do a bitsa brew with left over hops.  I just emptied a keg of a Hazy Pale Ale I did a little while ago.  It had Simcoe, Vic Secret, Cascade and Centennial in it.  As often happens, the last few glasses were the best.  Still nice and fruity aromas after just over 2 months since kegged.  I even have a few bottles left over from kegging day.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, Hallertau isn't the most exciting hop but does a great job of what you want it to. A nice simple Lager and Hally is your friend. A Hefe Weizen, tick. Even a Pilsner is a possibility. I wouldn't use it for an English ale, I wouldn't use it for Aussie lagers and if you want "fancy", use something different. But in the end, Hallertauer MF is one of the hops I buy in 500g packs, rather than 100g 🙂 That's probably the reason why I have so many hops in the freezer but only ever seem to buy Hally, Mosaic and Galaxy. The stocks of other hops seem to only very slowly diminish, leaving me with a perpetually full hop freezer 😳 

My homebrew store has monthly specials on hops and as a result I have ended up with too many hops! I have even banned myself from buying hops when I go to the shop, it’s so hard though🤣

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I have even banned myself from buying hops

I'm just about to put in an order to Noble Barons home brew supplies in Newcastle for lots of hops of different kinds, tins of extract, more light dry malt,  and even some yeast. I was pleased with my first order from Noble Barons: good value, and they have a big range with a flat $15 freight fee. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, RDT2 said:

My homebrew store has monthly specials on hops and as a result I have ended up with too many hops! I have even banned myself from buying hops when I go to the shop, it’s so hard though🤣

I put in an unplanned order at Hoppy Days because I noticed I ran out of light Crystal. Whilst I was there, I got a bit more yeast too and then decided to get another 250g of Galaxy because I was down to 80g 🙂 

Btw, I forgot to add the Crystal malt, which was the reason for the order, to the shopping basket but as usual, got more hops!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

52 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I'm just about to put in an order to Noble Barons home brew supplies in Newcastle for lots of hops of different kinds, tins of extract, more light dry malt,  and even some yeast. I was pleased with my first order from Noble Barons: good value, and they have a big range with a flat $15 freight fee. 

Looks like a great company with a great range Jenny, I would stick with them with a fixed shipping charge.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A taste from the latest keg, Session Ale 4.8% ABV, essentially a Pale but hopped with Amarillo & Galaxy. 

Very nice. 

20240106_143949.thumb.jpg.fb7f3172f2cd44ac35119df4acd0502d.jpg

Looks lovely Classic, how clear is it without the condensation?

• Like 1

This is not my first taste of my All Inn Brewing FWK Mosaic XPA, I actually tasted a sample bottle at 11 days and even though it’s a little green it just tastes so good! All I added was an overnight cold steep of 300g Carapils, 1L hop tea with 20g Mosaic and an 80g dry hop of mosaic. This will not last long at all! Lots of green mango and pine aroma and mango, pine and a bit of citrus in the flavour with a pleasant amount of bitterness. Slightly hazy, which I love.

IMG_6251.jpeg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Quite cleat actually, it's only 24c down the Bay with 88% humidity & the condensation formed immediately after pouring & there is a ceiling fan overhead.

Instant condensation tells you it’s the right temp and time for beer drinking!

• Like 4