Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

Super Juicy Nectaron Hazy IIIPA.  See recipe here.

• Aroma nectarine, peach, some citrus
  • Flavour malty, tropical 
  • Bitterness is well balanced (supposed to be 80 IBU - 354g of hops - All Nectaron - 184g in the boil and hopstand - 170g dry hop)
  • So easy to drink
  • So dangerous at 10.2% ABV
  • Just a little bit worried about the colour.  Might have oxidised a bit.  Although, no hints of it yet.
  • 13 litres in a keg bound for my brother-in-law.  I think he'll love it.

IMG_4216.thumb.JPG.8279cd633087064b1ea32d253e0c3254.JPG

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

I did for this one, transferred to cube at approx 90c. Pitched yeast at 40c! crazy yeast. 

Did you cube any of the hops or did you leave them at late additions the reason I'm asking is because I thought that would be pretty bitter like as you said "hop bite"

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Did you cube any of the hops or did you leave them at late additions the reason I'm asking is because I thought that would be pretty bitter like as you said "hop bite"

Yep cube hopped 120 grams. You can go grain to glass in under a week with Kveik but it drinks better after a few weeks. Somethings you can't rush. 

• Like 5

On 1/12/2024 at 10:02 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

• Bitterness is well balanced (supposed to be 80 IBU - 354g of hops - All Nectaron - 184g in the boil and hopstand - 170g dry hop)
  • So easy to drink
  • Just a little bit worried about the colour.  Might have oxidised a bit.  Although, no hints of it yet.

80 IBU's  wowsers!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

80 IBU's  wowsers!!!!

It is okay in a big high ABV beer.  It is reasonably well balanced, maybe slightly more sweet than bitter.

You can talk, I calculated your bitza Vintage Ale around 100 IBU here.  Now that's wowsers!

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It is okay in a big high ABV beer.  It is reasonably well balanced, maybe slightly more sweet than bitter.

You can talk, I calculated your bitza Vintage Ale around 100 IBU here.  Now that's wowsers!

Yep agree. Would not pick my bitza for 100 IBU

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:32 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

• So easy to drink

Yes. Nice work @Shamus O'Sean. Label is cool also.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

Yes. Nice work @Shamus O'Sean. Label is cool also.

I cannot take full credit for the label.  The background was from another beer label on line.  I did a little editing and added some detail for what you see.  But thanks anyway.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 3

A Duval clone, in the keg since 11/23. A bit on the potent side (~9%) so best not to have too many if you want to remain vaguely compos mentis…

Apart from some lingering sweetness it goes down ok. I’d dry-hopped it with 100g of Citra leaf hops, but it’s no longer too noticeable. I hav another keg of it, I think it will take me a while to get through it

IMG_1539.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

IMG20240118024257.thumb.jpg.8c2ef680ece4e0886908164fde7a5784.jpg

Here's my spiced rooibos ale. Got some good feedback from friends (who normally only drink green bottle lagers). It's mild, but just slightly bitter. Nice. Picture is taken a bit later after pouring, but had a couple of cm of head, acceptable.

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 6

On 1/13/2024 at 12:32 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

• So easy to drink

Funny that you brought it in at 10.2%. The current trend seems to be that Nectaron is a good hop to add to balance the flavour of zero alc beers 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A nice cold Märzen from one of my Granddad’s Steins. I remember the Brewery on the stein. It was one of the three breweries in town I can remember. They were snatched up by Spaten in the 70s and a few years later operations were shut down as usual. 

IMG_9835.thumb.jpeg.86ac5a1ae13828c846121422d31beba2.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

Picked up a Lion kit cheap a few weeks ago - paired with 1.5kg LME and a fuggle dry hop for a quick easy brew.  And then, after the first taste I was reminded - in the past I actually did a hop boil, added to the brew for extra, fresh bitterness because the IBU's in this kit are actually quite low (17IBU).  So, while I don't brew kits very often, this one could have easily put me off forever! 🤮   Not a great beer, drinkable... but only just.  It's just way too sweet for me... a kind of sickly, cloying sweetness.  But then, I had this idea...   

image.png.144422baecb4c9cb5d5093338cda0bd3.png

Adding a couple of drops of this hop extract to the glass has sorted it quite nicely.  I will say though, even though the hop extract is supposed to add flavour and aroma, I'm not getting any of that at all... but it has thankfully bumped up the IBU's to a more palatable level making it much easier for me to get down.  Phew! 

image.thumb.png.2ed972a8eb6c49cd635b3e51740a1d05.png

• Like 6