Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

Coopers Pale Ale AG with commercial yeast!

Well this is interesting it has banana and spice! So either I didn’t have enough yeast perhaps or it was too warm! I fermented at 17 unless my inkbird is out?? Anyway I have since made a batch of coopers sparkling and just kegged it today which I put on the yeast cake and I am not getting any banana so I am guessing I didn’t have enough yeast the first time although it seemed like a healthy fermentation! Anyway it still tastes okay can’t wait for the sparkling ale! Now I’ve typed this it’s warmed up and maybe not as spicy as I thought might have to get a commercial one to try! 

IMG_2187.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

The last glass of “Nanook’s Real Ale”. I don’t mind the Zappa hops, an American Native hops, it’s kind of spicy and earthy, and together with some Galaxy it made a nice beer. Still have some in the freezer for another experiment.

IMG_0071.png

When I read zappa I thought back on my single hop one I did. I've never got another chance to use it in a combination like you did. Did you go 50/50 or use it in less quantity to the galaxy. 

Certainly its unique. I haven't tasted a hop like it before or since.

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/17017-what-are-you-drinking-in-2023/?do=findComment&comment=283842

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

When I read zappa I thought back on my single hop one I did. I've never got another chance to use it in a combination like you did. Did you go 50/50 or use it in less quantity to the galaxy. 

Certainly its unique. I haven't tasted a hop like it before or since.

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/17017-what-are-you-drinking-in-2023/?do=findComment&comment=283842

Hope you can read my writing. I ended up using less Zappa in the dry hop because after tasting a sample I thought it would be too overpowering in equal quantities. Why I also used Citra I really can't remember, but could be that I liked its aroma and it could add something nice. Or maybe I had a little bit left and wanted to use it up. Still have enough Zappa left to make another brew, might build it around a COPA. So many beers to brew, so little time.

IMG_0072.JPG

• Like 7

COPA clone. I don’t want to blow smoke up my own bottom (to borrow a phrase…) but it is magnificent.

Deffo getting back into bottling a portion of each brew, since  I have sourced carbonation drops.

Thanks to both @iBooz2 and @kmar92 for their inputs into the recipe.

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1839.jpeg

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Hope you can read my writing. I ended up using less Zappa in the dry hop because after tasting a sample I thought it would be too overpowering in equal quantities. Why I also used Citra I really can't remember, but could be that I liked its aroma and it could add something nice. Or maybe I had a little bit left and wanted to use it up. Still have enough Zappa left to make another brew, might build it around a COPA. So many beers to brew, so little time.

IMG_0072.JPG

Yep. Thats exactly what i was going to do with it. Flameout at about 25% of the addition and dry hop at 25% too. Just to give that background spicyness but not let it overpower. I must get some next time im at the LHBS.

• Like 4

Having a few of my Carlton Draught clone beers tonight while I cook some homemade hamburgers with the lot. 😋

Beer is a lot clearer than the pic makes out, I forgot to wipe off the condensate on the glass.

Might have another taste test of my COPA-Pr that has been dry hopped with PoR later on tonight, it should have been on the gas to be carbed up beautifully by now.

Carlton Draught Clone AG batch #66 14Feb2024.jpg

• Like 12

On 2/13/2024 at 5:43 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

The last glass of “Nanook’s Real Ale”. I don’t mind the Zappa hops, an American Native hops, it’s kind of spicy and earthy, and together with some Galaxy it made a nice beer. Still have some in the freezer for another experiment.

IMG_0071.png

I have to have that glass 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Could not help myself, just had to have a taste test of my version of @ozdevil's USPA.  Only two days in the keg at serving pressure so still well under-carbed but gee it's nice.  Glass lacing tells it all.  😁

Sorry, my pic is nearly as blurry as the one ^.

OzDevils USPA 15Feb2024.JPG

OzDevils USPA Lacing 15Feb2024.JPG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, ben 10 said:

Blueberry sour with Philly Sour yeast

PXL_20240215_041733776.thumb.jpg.6376aa34f71dfaac7e4206dc7167d258.jpg

Still waiting to see what is going to go on that mysterious "second line"?

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Could not help myself, just had to have a taste test of my version of @ozdevil's USPA.  Only two days in the keg at serving pressure so still well under-carbed but gee it's nice.  Glass lacing tells it all.  😁

Sorry, my pic is nearly as blurry as the one ^.

OzDevils USPA 15Feb2024.JPG

OzDevils USPA Lacing 15Feb2024.JPG

i must have to brew this again soon     

• Like 2

Side-by-side-by-side taste-test of my recent Coopers Original Pale Ale.  COPA and COPAPoRDH

IMG_4270.JPG.d9dea875347be685613072010927d260.JPG

Commercial

• Citrus and herbal aroma, with spicy undertones
  • Malty, spice with banana notes
  • Good bitterness

COPA

• Herbal aroma with spicy notes, not so much citrus
  • Malty with spicy notes in the flavour
  • Good bitterness

COPAPoRDH

• Herbal and citrus aroma with spicy notes
  • Malty spice but not so much banana
  • Good bitterness

Summary

• Very very close
  • Bitterness almost spot on.  This despite Coopers Pale Ale being 26 IBU, but my brew said its IBU was 36
  • The dry hopped version's aroma was closer to the commercial version
  • As the brews warmed up in the glasses, the flavour and aroma seemed to get closer to each other
  • Interestingly, when I got down to 30-50ml in each glass, I tipped them into one glass.  Not surprisingly, the resulting mix was a very nice brew
  • @iBooz2, I reckon we can drop the Crystal Malt.  The colour is clearly off.  Although my Crystal might be a bit darker.
  • Like 7

@Shamus O'Sean very good taste test there and agree with the colour difference. Would you instead use Carapills next time or just drop it all together? The commercial version is not really known for its body or Head retention.

In saying that it's a cracker of a beer so I guess I'm asking if you wanted to get it spot on or you're own take on it? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:
  • @iBooz2, I reckon we can drop the Crystal Malt.  The colour is clearly off.  Although my Crystal might be a bit darker.

Hi @Shamus O'Sean, yep, I reckon your crystal malt is quite a bit darker EBC than the one I am using, and I remember you had a similar issue with another brew a while back that was really well off EBC wise (much darker) than planned.

I am using Simpsons Light Crystal Malt at 88 EBC.  It is a bit hard to take a pic in low light circumstances as exists tonight in my brewery so I thought a pic of my recipe of the COPA-Pr beer taken in front of the computer screen would be best to illustrate the EBC of mine compared to your version.  I always reckoned mine was very close but will buy some commercial stubbies soon and compare as I will need fresh CCA yeast soon.

Also, the difference in specs of the crystal malts used between us, i.e. the sweetness could also be the reason yours tastes not "as bitter" as the original Coopers commercial (just saying).  The last time I did a taste comparison mine was very close both colour wise and bitterness wise, it's just that elusive "spot on" aroma that mine is lacking, albeit - just.  We had better be careful here, otherwise we may get a "Cease and Desist" order in our mailboxes.  😬

COPA-Pr 16Feb2024.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Just on this Shamus did you match the EBC in Brewfather to Coopers Pale Ale EBC on their web page?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Shamus O'Sean very good taste test there and agree with the colour difference. Would you instead use Carapills next time or just drop it all together? The commercial version is not really known for its body or Head retention.

In saying that it's a cracker of a beer so I guess I'm asking if you wanted to get it spot on or you're own take on it? 

The brew still needs a bit of Crystal in it for the colour.  Swapping out the Crystal for Carapils makes the EBC 6 and dropping the Crystal altogether has the same result.  Coopers says the EBC of their Pale Ale is 8.

16 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Hi @Shamus O'Sean, yep, I reckon your crystal malt is quite a bit darker EBC than the one I am using, and I remember you had a similar issue with another brew a while back that was really well off EBC wise (much darker) than planned.

I am using Simpsons Light Crystal Malt at 88 EBC.  It is a bit hard to take a pic in low light circumstances as exists tonight in my brewery so I thought a pic of my recipe of the COPA-Pr beer taken in front of the computer screen would be best to illustrate the EBC of mine compared to your version.  I always reckoned mine was very close but will buy some commercial stubbies soon and compare as I will need fresh CCA yeast soon.

Also, the difference in specs of the crystal malts used between us, i.e. the sweetness could also be the reason yours tastes not "as bitter" as the original Coopers commercial (just saying).  The last time I did a taste comparison mine was very close both colour wise and bitterness wise, it's just that elusive "spot on" aroma that mine is lacking, albeit - just.  We had better be careful here, otherwise we may get a "Cease and Desist" order in our mailboxes.  😬

COPA-Pr 16Feb2024.jpg

Agreed.  Your brew is much closer colour wise.  My Crystal Malt is definitely darker.  I am not sure of its specifications or brand.  I made it Joe White Crystal with EBC 142 in the recipe.

The extra sweetness of my slightly darker Crystal would help to explain why my earlier versions at 26 IBU were not as bitter as the commercial version.  That sweetness offsets some of the bitterness.  At least the latest batch is almost spot on for bitterness.

The aroma is the biggest difference between mine and the commercial version.  The commercial brew has more citrus notes.  The dry hopped one is closer than the non-dry hopped one.  However, I am not sure that more dry hops or more aroma hops would get mine closer or just make it more herbal and citrus rather than citrus and herbal.  One thing I might try is to add a gram or two of PoR to a glass of the dry hopped version and see what that is like.

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Just on this Shamus did you match the EBC in Brewfather to Coopers Pale Ale EBC on their web page?

My recipe is pretty close:  They say 8 EBC.  Mine is 7.7 EBC.  However, that is with the Crystal Malt we suspect is something darker than Joe White Crystal EBC 142.  I am going to change the Crystal in my inventory to a medium EBC around 200 and see what effect that has.

The next time I do a COPA, I might hold back the Crystal from the mash.  Then split the batch and add a hot steep of Carapils to one fermenter and a hot steep of less Crystal to a second fermenter.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The brew still needs a bit of Crystal in it for the colour.  Swapping out the Crystal for Carapils makes the EBC 6 and dropping the Crystal altogether has the same result.  Coopers says the EBC of their Pale Ale is 8.

Agreed.  Your brew is much closer colour wise.  My Crystal Malt is definitely darker.  I am not sure of its specifications or brand.  I made it Joe White Crystal with EBC 142 in the recipe.

The extra sweetness of my slightly darker Crystal would help to explain why my earlier versions at 26 IBU were not as bitter as the commercial version.  That sweetness offsets some of the bitterness.  At least the latest batch is almost spot on for bitterness.

The aroma is the biggest difference between mine and the commercial version.  The commercial brew has more citrus notes.  The dry hopped one is closer than the non-dry hopped one.  However, I am not sure that more dry hops or more aroma hops would get mine closer or just make it more herbal and citrus rather than citrus and herbal.  One thing I might try is to add a gram or two of PoR to a glass of the dry hopped version and see what that is like.

My recipe is pretty close:  They say 8 EBC.  Mine is 7.7 EBC.  However, that is with the Crystal Malt we suspect is something darker than Joe White Crystal EBC 142.  I am going to change the Crystal in my inventory to a medium EBC around 200 and see what effect that has.

The next time I do a COPA, I might hold back the Crystal from the mash.  Then split the batch and add a hot steep of Carapils to one fermenter and a hot steep of less Crystal to a second fermenter.

When i do this brew, which is on my shortlist I dont think I'll use any Chrystal whatsoever.

Just Coopers Pale Malt and a touch of Wheat.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I'm having a pint of my Stone & Wood clone that @Popo the Degenerate helped me with and it is so bloody close the to the real thing.

It tastes fantastic my son drinks S&W all the time and says it's a really close clone him and his mate swirled a couple each when they were here I was glad to see them go 🤣🤣

Really glad it worked for you, mate. And glad to hear you get to enjoy some of it haha

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1