Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

3 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@iBooz2 how much carapils did you add? I have been thinking of adding some to my FWK brews to liven up the head on the beer

I did 1000 g for a 44 L batch, in the past it has been 500g but find after a couple of dirty batches in a row the extra yeast build up in the trub over sequential batches tends to strip something from the finished beer.  

By all means, do a 300 g mash of Carapils at 60-70 C for 30 mins (presume 20 - 22 L here) and add it to your FWK and it will make a huge difference.  If you like a nice meringue type head and that tell tale glass lacing then this "hack" will be your friend.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Pale Ale

Kit & Bits. 150g Carapils, 150g Light Crystal. And a late dry hop.

Fantastic to Drink

IMG_20240206_151509.thumb.jpg.4d2c916b9c2ff6bba38a532cc784340d.jpg

You make some mighty fine looking K&K beers @DavidM.  Been admiring them for quite some time, well done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I did 1000 g for a 44 L batch, in the past it has been 500g but find after a couple of dirty batches in a row the extra yeast build up in the trub over sequential batches tends to strip something from the finished beer.  

By all means, do a 300 g mash of Carapils at 60-70 C for 30 mins (presume 20 - 22 L here) and add it to your FWK and it will make a huge difference.  If you like a nice meringue type head and that tell tale glass lacing then this "hack" will be your friend.

Thanks mate I will be giving that a go. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Thanks mate I will be giving that a go. 

Don't forget to boil the drained steep/mash juices for 5 - 10 minutes to kill off any bugs then cool it so you can safely add it to your FWK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Don't forget to boil the drained steep/mash juices for 5 - 10 minutes to kill off any bugs then cool it so you can safely add it to your FWK.

Thanks for that reminder, I have not done it for a while and probably would have forgotten.  Do you skim the white protein stuff off the top?

• Like 2

Agree with all of the above regarding Carapils - a beautiful thing - and this creamy top of the below Diamond Yeast Beer i.e. a Larger style ish - will have contribution from Carapils as well as some Rye... but just being full bodied all grain helps too I suppose 👍

A bit cloudy still but fairly young still : )

A terrible sadness here at PMB as the 25kg bag of Carapils has run out - but still got some Wheat and Rye which always helps.

Cheers and good brewing All 👍

image.thumb.png.962a9ea3e4ef79d8c0ed02e943185504.png

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Thanks for that reminder, I have not done it for a while and probably would have forgotten.  Do you skim the white protein stuff off the top?

No, stir that back in when it starts to boil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Agree with all of the above regarding Carapils - a beautiful thing - and this creamy top of the below Diamond Yeast Beer i.e. a Larger style ish - will have contribution from Carapils as well as some Rye... but just being full bodied all grain helps too I suppose 👍

My general rule is Carapils malt addition for lagers and Wheat malt addition for Ales.  I have not tried Rye yet.  I do have some Rye in stock for a similar beer to your RyeRish Red but unfortunately waiting on stocks of the right yeast to appear at my supplier then will give Rye a crack.  Cheers.

• Like 4

Tonight, I have been sipping both my COPA-e (dry hopped with Eclipse) and my COPA-Pr (dry hopped with PoR) and I definitely enjoy the COPA-e more.  Maybe it's because it has been in the keg a few weeks longer or that the Eclipse dry hop really works well with the COPA.  The COPA-Pr has lost a bit of its zing but still has a very slight lemon spicy after taste but it's not really strong enough to define it up against the Eclipse.

Next time I do a dry hop with the COPA will up the quantities (say double) because this time it was a relatively small amount and probably not a fair indication of the dry hop's potential.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I definitely enjoy the COPA-e more.  Maybe it's because it has been in the keg a few weeks longer or that the Eclipse dry hop really works well with the COPA.

Maybe because you are drifting towards this instead of the COPA.  Not overly surprising Eclipse goes well.

My recent COPA and COPA-Pr bottles reach 14 days tomorrow.  I would love to do a taste-test.  However, my bottle carbonation at 14 days has been a bit lacking lately.  I will try to leave them another week.

• Like 4

I seem to be having trouble with one of my kegs/taps, both beers have been in for a week now & generally pouring well however the Draught seems to deliver a perfect beer first pour but it slows down almost to a trickle for the second.

When it is left idle for a while, it pours better.

I have conducted the obvious checks, psi, connections, beer lines etc. but I suspect it is a blockage in the dip tube.

I think I can get through this until the keg is empty, but I am seriously thinking about floating dip tubes.

How many of you guys are using them & are they in fact better?

Cheers.

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/floating-corny-keg-lid-aka-the-corny-floater

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I seem to be having trouble with one of my kegs/taps, both beers have been in for a week now & generally pouring well however the Draught seems to deliver a perfect beer first pour but it slows down almost to a trickle for the second.

I have conducted the obvious checks, psi, connections, beer lines etc. but I suspect it is a blockage in the dip tube.

I think I can get through this until the keg is empty, but I am seriously thinking about floating dip tubes.

Cheers.

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/floating-corny-keg-lid-aka-the-corny-floater

Doesn't sound like the dip tube because after being left for a while it would still be blocked 

I would get some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray any gas lines associated with that keg for any air leaks after you pour a good beer ( don't use star san duo fittings don't like it )

1 minute ago, Back Brewing said:

Doesn't sound like the dip tube because after being left for a while it would still be blocked 

I would get some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray any gas lines associated with that keg for any air leaks after you pour a good beer ( don't use star san duo fittings don't like it )

Yeah, I did that, there are no leaks, but Cheers anyway.

I will do some further checking to see if I can pinpoint it.

45 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers.

Sounds like a dip tube blockage, you could always release the pressure and remove the dip tube quickly and blow it out, re sanitize and put back, perhaps bend it more slightly so it's off the bottom of the keg a touch more.

I've converted about 20 of my 36 kegs, heaps better, don't get any blockages now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Sounds like a dip tube blockage, you could always release the pressure and remove the dip tube quickly and blow it out, re sanitize and put back, perhaps bend it more slightly so it's off the bottom of the keg a touch more.

I've converted about 20 of my 36 kegs, heaps better, don't get any blockages now.

Can you supply a picture of what you have done it sounds like it could avoid dip tube problems showing how far off the bottom of the keg you are ?

8 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Cheers Hoppy,

I will persevere for a while longer & see what happens, I think I will get a few floaters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Can you supply a picture of what you have done it sounds like it could avoid dip tube problems showing how far off the bottom of the keg you are ?

Sorry mate, i haven't got any photos on me and i'm at work.

When i was still using the stainless dip tube, i would bend the dip tube just slightly so it was more off the bottom (only with the IPA really) obviously it would leave a small amount of beer behind more than normal.

I'm gradually removing them all and replacing with the floating dip tube. Just remove the liquid dip tube, replace it with a small gas tube, cut to length and slip the floating dip tube on and that's it, done. i have not had a blockage with any of the converted kegs since changing them over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1