Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

13 hours ago, stquinto said:

The Guinness is pouring a bit better now.

This was a split batch kegged on 24th January. This one has about a pint of wort taken out about three days from kegging and left to go sour. I had originally taken off a pint just before putting it in the FV to sour, but it developed a fur coat on it over the course of the two-week fermentation. It tasted sweet too (yes, I did taste it...) : So I drew off some more and extended the fermentation by 3 days until it went sour.

I put lactic acid in the other half, I think 4g for 15 litres (which might be a little too high). Each cornie was about 15 litres but I think my souring methods were for 19 litres so they might be a bit too much. I haven't tried the lactic one yet.

I tried two methods of force-carbing, both off Youtube. Following one of the recommendations (for force carbing stout) I put the blended gas on the cornie and rolled it around for 90 seconds, then left it for 20 minutes. I did this three times (the fella reckoned twice max) but it made no difference.

The other recommendation (not specifically for stout) was to put the keg on CO2 at 50 PSI for "a while" (I left it for 10 minutes), then roll the cornie for 5 minutes. I did this, but put the mixed gas on line during the roll.

I did this twice and the result is like the half-pint glass above, the pint glass below is having left it on the mixed gas for an extra 24 hours.

Taste-wise I'm pretty happy with this soured version, but wouldn't want any more. If the corie had been a full 19l I think this amount of soured wort (a pint) was right.

One other point when I boiled the wort to sterilise it: don't take the saucepan lid off or else you end up with a Guinness treacle to sour it with 😉

IMG_1896.jpeg

Looks nice Stquinta, nice head.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stquinto said:

Looks great mate 👍

Out of interest, how many generations do you use you Coopers commercial yeast for ?

I harvested Coopers Commercial Ale yeast for my 2022 Vintage and then followed it up with 2 Coopers Pales Ales and 1 Coopers Sparkling Ale using the same yeast.  No off flavours or anything in the last one.  I just thought four was enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having a few @ozdevil'  USPA's in the Bali Garden tonight, just 10 days in the keg and oh so nice.

edit: Once again forgot to wipe the condensate off the glass as it came straight out of the fridge.  The beer has a lovely colour.

OzDevils USPA 23Feb2024.JPG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Having a few @ozdevil'  USPA's in the Bali Garden tonight, just 10 days in the keg and oh so nice.

edit: Once again forgot to wipe the condensate off the glass as it came straight out of the fridge.  The beer has a lovely colour.

OzDevils USPA 23Feb2024.JPG

light doesnt do it justice mate  love the  froth   

i have a very similar brew coming on  and i want to do it sunday .  its a double ozdevils uspa beer   which comes in a 9%

if i dont do it this weekend  it has to wait till april as i am on a cruise  in the next few weeks

but i am hoping this 9% is just as good as the  ozdevils uspa

• Like 3

Coopers Australian Lager - Side-by-side taste-test

Theirs

• Herbal, spicy lager-y aroma
  • Similar flavour with some tropical fruit notes
  • Mild bitterness
  • Smashable

Mine

• Tropical, stone fruit and berry aroma with some caramel sweetness
  • Similar flavours
  • Mild bitterness
  • Smashable

Mine might not be the same as the commercial version, but I think it is better.

@Aussiekraut, you mention in another thread about wanting to do a fruity Pilsner style beer.  You could do worse than a 1:1 Aroma steep of Galaxy and Lemondrop.

IMG_4290.JPG.30da661c95748379a4d2a269c4510a02.JPG

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

This keg of Draught is still hanging on & pouring well, the Eclipse hops are outstanding,  such a nice flavour & with a nice bitterness. 

I will be doing this again. 

20240225_145320.thumb.jpg.a88c84668e00b1078d53adb225739bdd.jpg

Was that the filler you got from that brewing mob Phil?

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 4:33 PM, Graculus said:

This is a Coopers APA, with BE2. Just a quickie I put down at Christmas.

A thirst quencher on a nice hot day. That was yesterday. Today  rainy & miserable.

And yet another glass I'd love to get my hands on.

• Like 2