Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Having a little sneaky taste test of my COPA-Pr tonight.  It's the one that had been dry hopped with 23 g of PoR for 3 days.  Only been in the keg since last Thursday so still well under carbed but I could not resist.  A pretty flat beer is very unphotogenic so did not bother with a pic.

Slight smell of banana when first poured but that dissipates quickly.  Can taste a slight lemon peel type bitterness and fruity aftertaste which I don't mind.  Will do another taste test in a couple of weeks when it has more fizz and compare it to the Eclipse dry hopped version.

Be interesting to see what @Shamus O'Sean thinks of his PoR dry hopped COPA once his is carbed up.

I'll certainly report back.

32 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

What do you reckon that your 23g POR dry hop will add to the beer? I have dry hopped 50g POR once and I didn't really notice a great deal of aroma or taste from that, I had actually bittered also with POR in that batch so I guess hard to tell where the aroma and flavours were coming from - bittering during the boil or the dry hop.

I made 28 litres of COPA and split it into 2 fermenters (14 litres in each).  One of them was dry hopped with 25g of Pride of Ringwood.  I could definitely smell a difference between the two samples and I was encouraged by the dry hopped version.  The side-by-side-by-side will be interesting.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, kmar92 said:

What do you reckon that your 23g POR dry hop will add to the beer? I have dry hopped 50g POR once and I didn't really notice a great deal of aroma or taste from that, I had actually bittered also with POR in that batch so I guess hard to tell where the aroma and flavours were coming from - bittering during the boil or the dry hop.

OK answered my own question by looking further back in your posts, you had an open 23g packet of POR. 🥲

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

OK answered my own question by looking further back in your posts, you had an open 23g packet of POR. 🥲

Sorry K, hard to keep up sometimes.  Yes, just because I had an open pack and did not want to unseal another.  Plus, in this instance I preferred to sneak up on the target rather than overrun it.  If I can find the happy medium of the best dry hop, I will be very happy with this COPA recipe.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Vale the outrageously chocolatey-syrupy Doppelbonk Choc Drop.... done in Sep 2023... crystal clear... mellow...  a lovely mild 7.1% 

Goodness 😯... very taschty but this stuff was sleep-medicine 😆

image.thumb.png.fab4d27151692a7909cbb2ba9d75bbde.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 5

A sneak peek of the Doppelbock. Very tasty but at 8.9%, a tallie is dangerous. Liquid gold as they say 😀 Can’t wait to see what it is like in winter. If I can keep my hands of it until then that is 😀

IMG_9855.thumb.jpeg.63d0df994442b91702ad8d714be9b6d6.jpeg

• Like 9

Leftover Pale Ale. This one was made from the “spent” grains of the non-enzymatic mash I did a while ago. It has about 2% alcohol. I didn’t like it that much as it was way too bitter. The keg was sitting in a corner for a while because I needed the tap space. Now, where I am desperate, I put it back in the keezer and was pleasantly surprised when I tried it. It has matured and improved a lot. It is still quite bitter and it needs some balance as there is not much in terms of body but when you’re parched and need a beer, this is your friend.

IMG_9874.thumb.jpeg.bd2e271d5f68a739ced165ba22640ab9.jpeg 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

This is the same beer poured from tap 3 with a normal tap spout & it is a full 19l Corny Keg, much less aggressive in the pour, poorer head retention, I would say in reference to an earlier post re: does a keg with less beer in it carb faster.

I would say yes, very much so.

20240202_144408.thumb.jpg.fcb9d73a66099da1df9be511f94397e7.jpg 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4

015 Galactic Pale Ale

IMG_20240131_195504498.thumb.jpg.c0579fcf9b5c61d6faad1a21443dcae8.jpg

It's drinkable but there's a distinct metallic flavour in there which detracts from the overall taste. Maybe buying kits "on special" isn't such a great idea.

Here are the brew notes:

IMG_20240131_194918257.thumb.jpg.fac1c4688538b2fae3950ff075a04485.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Kegory said:

015 Galactic Pale Ale

IMG_20240131_195504498.thumb.jpg.c0579fcf9b5c61d6faad1a21443dcae8.jpg

It's drinkable but there's a distinct metallic flavour in there which detracts from the overall taste. Maybe buying kits "on special" isn't such a great idea.

Here are the brew notes:

IMG_20240131_194918257.thumb.jpg.fac1c4688538b2fae3950ff075a04485.jpg

Yeah could have been out of date looks good nice colour and nice head looks like good carbonation 

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Coopers Draught, day 5 in the keg, I am so glad I used Eclipse hops in this, it will continue to improve - if it lasts that long. 🤣

20240204_143458.thumb.jpg.04d18414c861054201630ae5f34b4b80.jpg

Was there a recipe posted for this Classic? It sounds pretty great!

Tasting notes from my last two brews:

Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale with 1kg LDM, 1kg BE2, 25g Cascade added at mixing and another 25g on day 9. All the fermentables gave me an OG of 1052, so I added another 2lt water.              Aroma? I couldn't detect the citrus/pine aromas which Coopers say this brew will have.                  Flavour: A light toffee/malt and a refreshing bitterness.                                                                   Gentle carbonation and a pale mid amber colour                                                                                 Light body and mouth feel.                                                                                                                    All in all: drinkable, quite enjoyable but not exciting 6/10

Coopers Brew A IPA with 1.5kg LDM and 25g Galaxy added at mixing. OG was 1051 again, so another 2lt of water brought it down to 1046. FG was 1011.                                                                Couldn't detect the aroma. A grapefruit smoky flavour. Carbonation is quite sparkling. The colour is a deep amber with reddish hues. A rich body and mouth feel.                                                           All in all: yummy, lip-smacking, one to savour, not a lawn mower beer 8/10                                                                                                   

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 6

Taste test of another of my Carlton Draught Clones, this is AG batch #66 which was kegged on 30Jan2024.

I think I may have overdone the Carapils malt or it's a combination of the higher % of Carapils malt and the higher mash temperature as the head, well it's a bit over the top.  Octoberfest stuff.  Now where is my buxom fraulein?

Carlton Draught Clone AG batch #66 taste test 05Feb2024.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

Tasting notes from my last two brews:

Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale with 1kg LDM, 1kg BE2, 25g Cascade added at mixing and another 25g on day 9. All the fermentables gave me an OG of 1052, so I added another 2lt water.              Aroma? I couldn't detect the citrus/pine aromas which Coopers say this brew will have.                  Flavour: A light toffee/malt and a refreshing bitterness.                                                                   Gentle carbonation and a pale mid amber colour                                                                                 Light body and mouth feel.                                                                                                                    All in all: drinkable, quite enjoyable but not exciting 6/10

Coopers Brew A IPA with 1.5kg LDM and 25g Galaxy added at mixing. OG was 1051 again, so another 2lt of water brought it down to 1046. FG was 1011.                                                                Couldn't detect the aroma. A grapefruit smoky flavour. Carbonation is quite sparkling. The colour is a deep amber with reddish hues. A rich body and mouth feel.                                                           All in all: yummy, lip-smacking, one to savour, not a lawn mower beer 8/10                                                                                                   

Gee @jennyss you are quite the pro brewer and critic these days, well done girl. 👌  I never doubted you for one minute.  Good to see.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

you are quite the pro brewer and critic these days,

Thanks @iBooz2, I am trying to educate myself. I found a checklist of beer taste descriptors on the internet; and I am using that to try and be consistent when I am tasting beer.

• Like 2